Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Well you should certainly ask Exeter that. My guess is that they will say it is for historical reasons. But IMO that is not a great reason for inaction:
    i) Lancaster are changing from Ba to Bsc. So the change can be made
    ii) Economics should be about optimisation. i.e. making changes that improve things.
    okk thanks

ReputationRep:
    Extra question:
    What about doing an A-level in a foreign language if it is my mother tongue?
    The top 10 unis will give you little/no credit.

ReputationRep:
    Latest extra questions on postgraduate study as UCAS applicants often ask about this.
    Can I go to a mid table uni for undergraduate and then a top uni for an msc? (1)
    At undergraduate level TAELT has 5 ridiculously ridiculously competitive (RRC) unis and 6 ridiculously competitive (RC) unis. At Msc level the picture would be very different. Instead there would be perhaps only 3 RC unis and no RRC unis. For example:
    i) Warwick have places on their msc course every year and have students from places like Cardiff, Sheffield and Royal Holloway.
    ii) Notts this cycle had a student from Kingston.

Why is there such a big drop in competitivity between Bsc and Msc?
    Well:
    i) Lots of Bsc Econ graduates are very employable and hence don't want or need more education.
    ii)The Msc fees are higher. So unlike at BSc level prices are not artificially low and hence there is not excess demand.

Can I go to a mid table uni for undergraduate and then a top uni for an Msc? (2)
    Getting into a top uni for Msc is one thing doing well is another. i.e. the material taught varies between top and mid table unis. And whilst there is a natural progression in the material taught between Bsc and Msc at top unis, there is no such guarantee at other unis.

So in conclusion. Yes you can move up from a mid to a top uni, but:
    i)there are likely to be issues with the material.
    ii)It is expensive and coming from a less good uni it is harder to get funding.

ReputationRep:
    Check out this post for the UCAS Adjustment FAQ:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm now thinking which course to put as my firm choice and I would be grateful for any help.

I have been offered places at:
    Queen Mary: Economics L100 (BSc), and
    UCL : Economics and Business with East European Studies (BA)

Which of these two courses would be more appreciated by employers (better Uni but with BA or worse uni with BSc)?
    Which is generally higher regarded?
    Would that be possible to do e.g. MSc in Economics at LSE or other top Economics uni after Economics BA?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alemarie)
    Hi! I'm now thinking which course to put as my firm choice and I would be grateful for any help.

I have been offered places at:
    Queen Mary: Economics L100 (BSc), and
    UCL : Economics and Business with East European Studies (BA)

Which of these two courses would be more appreciated by employers (better Uni but with BA or worse uni with BSc)?
    Which is generally higher regarded?
    Would that be possible to do e.g. MSc in Economics at LSE or other top Economics uni after Economics BA?

Many thanks
    I would expect a BA at UCL to be atleast as respected as a Bsc from QM.

ReputationRep:
    Ok Hi people, basically im after a bit of advice regarding entry into investment banking and any advice/suggustions would be helpfull.

basically I know how selective the idustry is at current and that a top uni on your application is considered a must, however the specific advice i was after is relating to courses, iv been offered places at durham - business finance, sheffield - accounting and financial management with economics and nottingham- finance accoutning and management,

Now i know most suggustions would be pure economics,maths etc but thats not an option now.

so what i want to know is it still possible to gain a decent enough place in a top ib, private equity ,hedge fund etc.

My situation is im not a AAA student but Abb my maths is good and i have a personality unlike a lot of the typical oxbridge maths/econ students who think anyone at another uni is below them and has no chance in getiing a FO job in an IB,
    I Have been trading CFD's equitys and financial spread betting for 2 years and have records of all transactions through brokers im slowly getting the grips of technical analysis and a few other trading methods as well as understanding things like deriv, cdo's cds;s leverage etc through reading great books like an intro to global financial markets and others, iv secured a great gap year job with american express in a credit department with a salary similar if not better than most graduate jobs and previously worked for hbos (lloyds banking group )

Im not interested in the money well its a plus but my interest in the industry and trading specifically so what i want to know is if by doing any of these degrees i still have a chance getting through the doors.
    If not will doing an MSC at a place like cass lse or ICMA make up for not going to a top uni

Thanks any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopper89x)
    Ok Hi people, basically im after a bit of advice regarding entry into investment banking and any advice/suggustions would be helpfull.

basically I know how selective the idustry is at current and that a top uni on your application is considered a must, however the specific advice i was after is relating to courses, iv been offered places at durham - business finance, sheffield - accounting and financial management with economics and nottingham- finance accoutning and management,

Now i know most suggustions would be pure economics,maths etc but thats not an option now.

so what i want to know is it still possible to gain a decent enough place in a top ib, private equity ,hedge fund etc.

My situation is im not a AAA student but Abb my maths is good and i have a personality unlike a lot of the typical oxbridge maths/econ students who think anyone at another uni is below them and has no chance in getiing a FO job in an IB,
    I Have been trading CFD's equitys and financial spread betting for 2 years and have records of all transactions through brokers im slowly getting the grips of technical analysis and a few other trading methods as well as understanding things like deriv, cdo's cds;s leverage etc through reading great books like an intro to global financial markets and others, iv secured a great gap year job with american express in a credit department with a salary similar if not better than most graduate jobs and previously worked for hbos (lloyds banking group )

Im not interested in the money well its a plus but my interest in the industry and trading specifically so what i want to know is if by doing any of these degrees i still have a chance getting through the doors.
    If not will doing an MSC at a place like cass lse or ICMA make up for not going to a top uni

Thanks any advice would be great
    There is a whole forum on IB. So that may be a better place to post:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94

But I will make 2 points:
    i) Sheffield is not great for economics, so that suggests Durham or Notts.
    ii) If you are taking a GAP year then you could think about re-applying for a different subject. e.g. Maths or Stats.

ReputationRep:
    New question added.
    I have not got an UCAS offer for the uni I really want to go to. Should I re-apply?
    You need to re-apply on a positive not a negative basis. So if you end up at the uni you originally had offers from you regard that as ok. And if you end up at a uni you prefer (Warwick in your case) you regard that as a bonus.

This is because:
    1)Getting offers from top unis is very hard.
    2)If you feel like "if I don't get an offer from uni X next time then this year will have been wasted" then that is not a situation to be in emotionally speaking. i.e. your destination is not something you can control (only influence).
    3) You should not really expect a different decision unless you change something major.
    4)Most of the fundamentals you can't change (GCSEs and AS-levels). You can try to do extra A-level but there is an opportunity cost to that and it is hard to get (high)predictions for a course when you need to apply to UCAS not long after starting it.
    5)You can try and improve your PS. And it may be that leaving it a year makes you more aware of why you want to do econ and hence able to do a better PS. But that is not a given: "there is nothing innate about the passage of time that makes that happen".

So in conclusion re-applying in a desperate attempt to get into uni X is not good. But re-applying after consideration on the following basis can be good:
    i)I may end up at a better uni (possibly my bliss uni).
    ii)But if not I certainly will have improved my skills (academic) which will help me perform well at uni once I get there, had new experiences (travelled) and improved my employability (had work experience).

ReputationRep:
    Would it be wise to apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham as my five choices for 2010 entry?
    The reason being that those are the only places I would like to study at next year. My plan if I don't get into any, is to take a gap year, take part in a gap year programme, and re-apply the following cycle. Is this wise or stupid?

Grades:
    8A*'s 2A's

AS Levels I'm taking this year:
    Maths A2 (A - 2008)
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics
    Critical Thinking

- I will also pickup Further Add. Maths AS next year and drop critical thinking.
    - Got accepted into Eton Universities Summer School to do Economics and Politics.
    - Took part in a student shadowing scheme at Cambridge this year (shadowing an economics student).
    - Read a lot around economics etc.
    - Hope to take part in the LSE CHOICE programme next year for economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiasco)
    Would it be wise to apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham as my five choices for 2010 entry?
    Well it is certainly aggressive to go for 4 of the top 5 plus another top 10 uni.

The reason being that those are the only places I would like to study at next year.
    You should research the other top 10 unis and see what you think of them.

My plan if I don't get into any, is to take a gap year, take part in a gap year programme, and re-apply the following cycle. Is this wise or stupid?
    Need to think about timing. Unlikely yo will get 5 decisions before March. And that is late to start applying to top GAP year schemes.

Grades:
    8A*'s 2A's

AS Levels I'm taking this year:
    Maths A2 (A - 2008)
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics
    Critical Thinking

- I will also pickup Further Add. Maths AS next year and drop critical thinking.
    - Got accepted into Eton Universities Summer School to do Economics and Politics.
    - Took part in a student shadowing scheme at Cambridge this year (shadowing an economics student).
    - Read a lot around economics etc.
    - Hope to take part in the LSE CHOICE programme next year for economics.
    Strengths
    1)FM A-level
    2) Additional FM A-level.

Neutral
    1) 4 A-levels
    2)Maths A-level
    3)Econ A-level
    4)8 GCSE A*s

Weakness
    1)Only 4 Respected AS-levels

Your plan is not terrible. But only you know how you are likely to feel this time next year if you have 5 rejections. And with your super aggressive plan that is a real possibility maybe 1:4 chance of that happening. i.e. by the super-competive standards of econ there is nothing that makes me think any of your unis will feel they have to make you an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Weakness
    1)Only *5 (Add. FM AS) Respected AS-levels

Your plan is not terrible. But only you know how you are likely to feel this time next year if you have 5 rejections. And with your super aggressive plan that is a real possibility maybe 1:4 chance of that happening. i.e. by the super-competive standards of econ there is nothing that makes me think any of your unis will feel they have to make you an offer.
    I agree that it is super aggressive and probably not the best way to go about things. I'm aiming to get into one of Cam, LSE and UCL and using the Warwick or Notts offer as insurance, seeing as Camb and UCL are making A*AA offers next year. Don't the extra-curriculars help, seeing as they are economics related, and what about coming from a weak comprehensive in London?

About the gap year programmes; I was hoping to apply next year and withdraw if I get offers from the universities I want to go to.

If you were to recommend a selection of 5, which would they be? [Cambridge and LSE won't change, and probably UCL. I'm interested in Bath and Bristol but would prefer to stay in London].

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it is super aggressive and probably not the best way to go about things. I'm aiming to get into one of Cam, LSE and UCL and using the Warwick or Notts offer as insurance, seeing as Camb and UCL are making A*AA offers next year.
    Most econ applicants do well to get offers from any of the top unis. i.e. getting the grades is not the hard part.

Don't the extra-curriculars help, seeing as they are economics related
    A little maybe. But as I try and explain in the Good Econ PS guide it is not what activities you have engaged in that count but instead but skills you can use them to show.

and what about coming from a weak comprehensive in London?
    You did not mention that before. But yes that would help.

About the gap year programmes; I was hoping to apply next year and withdraw if I get offers from the universities I want to go to.
    That is what you would do rather than defering your uni offers is perhaps significant in terms how you feel about not going to uni in 2010.

If you were to recommend a selection of 5, which would they be? [Cambridge and LSE won't change, and probably UCL. I'm interested in Bath and Bristol but would prefer to stay in London].
    Interesting that in you previous post you before you listed 5 unis and said "these are the only places I would like to study at next year". Now 2 new unis appear. (Normal for applicants to be unsure as to what they feel about unis at this stage but it does make it hard to provide guidance!)

But yes LSE,Cambridge,UCL, Bristol and Bath would not be an aggresive strategy for you. i.e. I would be surprised if you got no offers from that 5.
    However if your response to getting LSE,Cambridge,UCL rejections but Bath and Bristol offers would be to re-apply to UCAS for 2011 then you would not have gained much from including them in your 5 unis. i.e. offers to unis that you are not prepared to go to are not worth much.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that in you previous post you before you listed 5 unis and said "these are the only places I would like to study at next year". Now 2 new unis appear. (Normal for applicants to be unsure as to what they feel about unis at this stage but it does make it hard to provide guidance!)

But yes LSE,Cambridge,UCL, Bristol and Bath would not be an aggresive strategy for you. i.e. I would be surprised if you got no offers from that 5. However if your response to getting LSE,Cambridge,UCL rejections but Bath and Bristol offers would be to re-apply to UCAS for 2011 then you would not have gained much from including them in your 5 unis. i.e. offers to unis that you are not prepared to go to are not worth much.
    Forgot to thank you before.

Well the reason I said those were the only uni's I wanted to go to was because the job prospects outweighed the fact that I would have to leave London. I'm not so sure anymore about whether it's best to do what I said originally or not, but I could swap Warwick out and put in Bristol. The thing is, if I fail to make Cam, LSE, UCL (and Warwick) I would seriously be tempted to reapply and take up the gap year programmes (assuming I get onto any of them).

I also think if I fail to make Cam, LSE, UCL, the rest will reject me anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to thank you before.
    I can't say I noticed.

Well the reason I said those were the only uni's I wanted to go to was because the job prospects outweighed the fact that I would have to leave London.
    Yes the employment prospects at the top 5 are better than at the next 5 or 6. But the employment prospects at the next 5 or 6 are still very very good.

I'm not so sure anymore about whether it's best to do what I said originally or not, but I could swap Warwick out and put in Bristol. The thing is, if I fail to make Cam, LSE, UCL (and Warwick) I would seriously be tempted to reapply and take up the gap year programmes (assuming I get onto any of them).
    Issue is you will need to apply to UCAS in october (for Cambridge) and at that stage you will not know the status of your Gap year applications. So you need to make your UCAS applications on the assumption that you may not get into a Gap year scheme.

If you can live with getting 5 rejections then I really don't have a problem with you going super aggresive, even though it is not a decision I would make in your place. But you do need to bare in mind that many applicants find spending many months not having any offers (e.g. lots of offers not made until february/march) quite stressfull and cosnider how you would deal with that e.g. would it effect your A-level work.

I also think if I fail to make Cam, LSE, UCL, the rest will reject me anyway...
    Oh no. Bristol and (esp. Bath) are a bit less difficult to get into. So even if Cam, LSE and UCL all reject you thn you would still have chances with Bristol and Bath

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I noticed.

Yes the employment prospects at the top 5 are better than at the next 5 or 6. But the employment prospects at the next 5 or 6 are still very very good.

Issue is you will need to apply to UCAS in october (for Cambridge) and at that stage you will not know the status of your Gap year applications. So you need to make your UCAS applications on the assumption that you may not get into a Gap year scheme.

If you can live with getting 5 rejections then I really don't have a problem with you going super aggresive, even though it is not a decision I would make in your place. But you do need to bare in mind that many applicants find spending many months not having any offers (e.g. lots of offers not made until february/march) quite stressfull and cosnider how you would deal with that e.g. would it effect your A-level work.

Oh no. Bristol and (esp. Bath) are a bit less difficult to get into. So even if Cam, LSE and UCL all reject you thn you would still have chances with Bristol and Bath
    Thanks again. Do a lot of people make similar applications? How successful are they usually?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again. Do a lot of people make similar applications? How successful are they usually?
    What do you mean "similar applications"?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "similar applications"?
    To similar universities.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I noticed.

are you crazy bristol is impossible to crack 1 person from my whole college got in i know 4 people with aaaa all going to either ox or cam and all got rejected from bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopper89x)
    are you crazy bristol is impossible to crack 1 person from my whole college got in i know 4 people with aaaa all going to either ox or cam and all got rejected from bristol
    well it depends. I got rejected from Ox, and have managed to get into LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.