Turn on thread page Beta

I am doing Further Maths and really worried about what grade I will get. Should I be?
    Don't be:
    1) The official Further Math (FM) grade records from JCQ, give the following cummulative perentages:
    grade A 57.5%
    grade B+ 77.8% (77.1%)
    grade C+ 88.9% (88.5%)
    This is the highest grade A rate of any A-level.
    2) with the current module transfer system, modules are swtiched beteen M (Maths)and FM (Further Maths) so as to maximise the FM mark (conditional the Maths grade being an A). i.e. The Exam board assigns modules between M and FM s.t.
    i)The Maths grade is Maximised
    ii)Once the Maths grade is an A, modules are switched between M and FM to maximise the FM grade whilst keeping the M grade as an A.
    3)Few unis demand a specific FM grade.
    i want to have maths a level a A* so will exam board grade shift to maximize further maths once maths is A* if i tell them only? or will they do it automatically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    i want to have maths a level a A* so will exam board grade shift to maximize further maths once maths is A* if i tell them only? or will they do it automatically?
    Yes pedanticaly that will be the case in June 2010.
    (The above post refers to June 2009).
    And yes they will automatically do that switching.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they won't need to maximise your Maths grade to an A* because only C3 and C4 count towards it (according to this). Presumably they'll automatically maximise your f.maths modules so you can get an A* in that too.

(Original post by J234)
    Well, they won't need to maximise your Maths grade to an A* because only C3 and C4 count towards it (according to this). Presumably they'll automatically maximise your f.maths modules so you can get an A* in that too.
    good point, i only need c3 c4 at 90+ ...

ReputationRep:
    good point, i only need c3 c4 at 90+ ...
    AND 80% plus avg in 6 modules (including c3.c4)

ReputationRep:
    To complicate matters further I read somewhere online (but can not now find the link) that the new FM A-level (starting 2010?) will not let you swap modules between FM and M.

(Original post by Paulwhy)
    To complicate matters further I read somewhere online (but can not now find the link) that the new FM A-level (starting 2010?) will not let you swap modules between FM and M.
    ah put surely i can chose to put S1 S2 in regular maths instead of S1 M1, this is not really shifting to maximize its preselecting what grades count towards maths and FM...

damn this really does complicate things!

ReputationRep:
    ah put surely i can chose to put S1 S2 in regular maths instead of S1 M1, this is not really shifting to maximize its preselecting what grades count towards maths and FM...

IF C3 and C4 count for A* in Maths - all they need to do FP1, FP2 above 90% to be counted for A* in FM. This will resolve the issue.
    Secondly almost 58% of people who take FM get A grade - So where is the problem?

(Original post by rnshan)
    IF C3 and C4 count for A* in Maths - all they need to do FP1, FP2 above 90% to be counted for A* in FM. This will resolve the issue.
    Secondly almost 58% of people who take FM get A grade - So where is the problem?
    that 58% was due to grade shifting

ReputationRep:
    that 58% was due to grade shifting
    I do not believe so. The module counted in Maths - do not get counted again in FM. I think the reason is quite obvious. Only people who are good in MAths take FM. So one should NOT be surprised about the outcome. Either you have Mathsy mind or you don't. (Nothing in between)

ReputationRep:

No the 2010 reference is to A-level FM courses starting in 2010 not finishing in 2010.

added question
    thats a bitt worrying for those like me with 6A* !! LSE is my first choice, then UCL is my 2nd but i know its sooo competitive... it makes me think again and again and again about my choice of straight economics :| and whether i should just not bother with lse and ucl, or if i do, then chose econ+stats at ucl and ... hmm i dont know! even nottingham i thought i'd have a chance!

ReputationRep:
    thats a bitt worrying for those like me with 6A* !! LSE is my first choice, then UCL is my 2nd but i know its sooo competitive... it makes me think again and again and again about my choice of straight economics :| and whether i should just not bother with lse and ucl, or if i do, then chose econ+stats at ucl and ... hmm i dont know! even nottingham i thought i'd have a chance!
    In terms of decision making what you should do is clear: pick an AAB.2.1 uni and 4 unis above it.

But yes from a GCSE A*s point of you your situation is moderate and so yes with unis that select more on GCSEs (e.g. LSE and Notts), you would have less chance than you would with some others.

ReputationRep:
    Paulwhy, all these Economics resources are really great and much appreciated. For someone who is doing Maths, Economics, Computing and Further Maths at A2 and my results should be AAAB, with a Physics AS at A/B (considering taking Physics to A2 aswell depending on result), would the following selection of Uni's for straight Economics be suitable?

LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bath, Loughborough

For reference, my GCSEs were 5 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs.

Should I perhaps be looking at Oxford? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbare)
    Paulwhy, all these Economics resources are really great and much appreciated. For someone who is doing Maths, Economics, Computing and Further Maths at A2 and my results should be AAAB, with a Physics AS at A/B (considering taking Physics to A2 aswell depending on result), would the following selection of Uni's for straight Economics be suitable?
    Why are you looking at Computing as an A-level?
    e.g. it is 4th rate:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

Doing Physics to A-level might be a better option i.e. that would give 3 'proper' subejcts to A2 level.

LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bath, Loughborough

For reference, my GCSEs were 5 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs.
    Well you want a safety uni which Loughborough is. But one of the AAB.2.1 unis would do equally well.

Should I perhaps be looking at Oxford? Thanks.
    No not particularly from a "these grades are amazing point of view".
    i.e. they are good by noraml standards but are moderate but the standards of top eon unis.
    But Oxford might be a better choice than LSE. i.e. 5 GCSE A*s is not many for LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you looking at Computing as an A-level?
    e.g. it is 4th rate:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

Doing Physics to A-level might be a better option i.e. that would give 3 'proper' subejcts to A2 level.
    I'm doing Computing as I'm relatively confident that I'll get an A in it, and I enjoy it. Computer Science was my planned course before I started Economics . But I might well take Physics as well as everything else. Advisable?

Well you want a safety uni which Loughborough is. But one of the AAB.2.1 unis would do equally well.
    Loughborough appears quite high on several lists and seems a fantastic uni which is why I'm considering it as safety, but now sure how employable graduates are in terms of moving on to finance.

No not particularly from a "these grades are amazing point of view".
    i.e. they are good by noraml standards but are moderate but the standards of top eon unis.
    But Oxford might be a better choice than LSE. i.e. 5 GCSE A*s is not many for LSE.
    I'm not sure of my ability to sell myself in an interview at Oxford, which is why I'm undecided on them. Alternatively, I'm considering Accounting and Finance as a course, again mainly at LSE/Warwick, and it seems it would be easier for me to get into a top uni for this, which is why I'm considering it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Computing as I'm relatively confident that I'll get an A in it, and I enjoy it. Computer Science was my planned course before I started Economics . But I might well take Physics as well as everything else. Advisable?
    No. As I said above Computing is regarded as 4th rate at the top level. And FM is not regarded as a distinct subject. So M,FM, Econ and Computing would give only 2 respected subjects.

Loughborough appears quite high on several lists and seems a fantastic uni which is why I'm considering it as safety, but now sure how employable graduates are in terms of moving on to finance.
    Well you can get a (good) idea of that. i.e. Econ Employability is:
    i)crudely measured in the Econ League Tables e.g. Times
    ii)less crudely measure on unistats (tabulated in the TAELT 2010 spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Cw&output=html)

I'm not sure of my ability to sell myself in an interview at Oxford
    If you are unsure then you might be good at interviews. And might be good at Interviews definitely beats definitely having a 'low' number of GCSE A*s.
    i.e. I think you have more chance with Oxford than LSE.

Alternatively, I'm considering Accounting and Finance as a course, again mainly at LSE/Warwick, and it seems it would be easier for me to get into a top uni for this, which is why I'm considering it.
    This sounds like terrible thinking to me:
    i) A+F and Econ are very different subjects and doing the wrong subject for 3 years will not be a good experience.
    ii) suggests a failure to understand the nature of the Econ undergraduate market: yes it is very very hard to get offers from the top 11 unis but below that it is not.
    and if you want to do econ at uni then Econ at an AAB.2.1 uni will be a better experience than A+F at a higher ranked uni.
    iii)doing a split A+F and Econ PS will really shoot you in the foot when it comes to getting into top unis. Read the Econ PS guide for more.

ReputationRep:
    No. As I said above Computing is regarded as 4th rate at the top level. And FM is not regarded as a distinct subject. So M,FM, Econ and Computing would give only 2 respected subjects.
    Sorry, what I meant was would it be advisable to do Physics as well as all the rest at A2 level?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what I meant was would it be advisable to do Physics as well as all the rest at A2 level?
    I think the chocie would be between:
    i) Maths,FM,Econ,Physics
    ii )Maths,FM,Econ,Physics, Computing

ReputationRep:
    I think the chocie would be between:
    i) Maths,FM,Econ,Physics
    ii )Maths,FM,Econ,Physics, Computing
    Would the same apply if I was applying to Accounting and Finance?

This sounds like terrible thinking to me:
    i) A+F and Econ are very different subjects and doing the wrong subject for 3 years will not be a good experience.
    ii) suggests a failure to understand the nature of the Econ undergraduate market: yes it is very very hard to get offers from the top 11 unis but below that it is not.
    and if you want to do econ at uni then Econ at an AAB.2.1 uni will be a better experience than A+F at a higher ranked uni.
    iii)doing a split A+F and Econ PS will really shoot you in the foot when it comes to getting into top unis. Read the Econ PS guide for more.
    EDIT: Sorry, I missed the edit you made earlier. I'm not sure whether I want to Accountancy in the future, which is why the course is one of my considerations. Hopefully, I'll be getting on to the Deloitte Scholar Scheme, which should give me a boost getting a job perhaps there, and in any case I can still become an Accountant with an Economics degree?

I wouldn't be doing a split PS, it would either be applying for all Economics, or all Accounting. It's probably that decision I should be making now, but I think it's my desire to go to a top ranked uni in terms of employability (such as LSE), which is perhaps making me sway towards the ''lesser'' option of Accounting and Finance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.