Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my situation at the moment is that i am going to see the following unis:
    Cambridge
    LSE/UCL (only want to apply to one london uni)
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Bath

However the problem with these are that their entries are either A*AA or AAA.
    What other unis would people recommend me to consider as i am not too comfortable with all the entries being AAA.
    Once again any advice would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    you're probably sick of seeing me paulwhy! but i still have questions, sorry!

what is the relative difficulty (against straight economics) of getting into a joint economics course, for example economics and statistics, because my GCSE's are <8A* and so getting into straight economics at especially LSE UCL and Nottingam is particularly hard for me, would i stand a better chance for Econ+Stats or Economics + statistic and finance or anything else at other universities like matheeconomics or economics and econometrics at nottingham? Or are these really just the same as economics in the end in terms of admissions and competitiveness?

and 1 other question, by how much am i bettering my chances by taking further maths, because i have the choice to only take AS or take A2 full further maths aswell and since full A2 further maths will cost me £3000 extra!!! i have to consider how much better my chances actually are by continuing with it, i think i can get an A if not a high B which is still ok since LSE and UCL usually ask for and E right?

Thanks
    you worry way too much... you are actually getting really annoying now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytim)
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Bath

What other unis would people recommend me to consider as i am not too comfortable with all the entries being AAA.
    Birmingham, York, Manchester maybe? Check out Paulwhy's The alternative economics league table

ReputationRep:
    i thought of reading some harder books like Keynes's "general theory of employment wealth ..." and as suggested by paul why, finding something that really interests you in the book or something that you can comment on and talk about or soemthing like that...
    but then again i might not understand it and i dont want to name drop in my personal statement and tell the uni about my self too much!
    If you want to read some harder books please please don't read Keynes :redface: . To me it seemed too far above A-level and just could not follow it at all. Definately not something to read as preparation for a degree if at all. I'd say it's better and easier to grasp his concepts from text books Of course you could be a braniac in which case by all means go ahead!

(Original post by pow!)
    you worry way too much... you are actually getting really annoying now.
    you're too right, and i hate people that do what im doing, i'll cut down!
    im just a worrying person, if i had 10A* life would be easier
    ah well... i just dont want to make the wrong decisions and fail at life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Bath

Maybe look at Southampton, York, or Birmingham as an insurance choice?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I thought id ask you on your opinion whether im good enough for a top 20 uni such as Birmingham, Loughborough or Leicester for a straight bsc in economics, and if possible could you please give me some advice on actions to take next year in A2.

Just finished my AS exams, and predicted as follows for this year:

Sociology: A
    Economics: B
    History: C
    Maths: D

Im hoping to retake some modules to bump up my grade in maths to at least a C to balance my grades out a bit by retaking some modules next january, but will this be stupid if uni's see my unit grades anyway when i apply? Or do the uni's just look at predicted grades?
    I am also going to carry on with all 4 of these subjects into A2 to make my application stronger.

My personal statement would include gaining a silver award in the senior maths challenge, contributing to winning the county innovation award in young enterprise, being captain of school bball team, and member of the student management team in my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GRAFTER_91)
    Hey

I thought id ask you on your opinion whether im good enough for a top 20 uni such as Birmingham, Loughborough or Leicester for a straight bsc in economics, and if possible could you please give me some advice on actions to take next year in A2.

Just finished my AS exams, and predicted as follows for this year:

Sociology: A
    Economics: B
    History: C
    Maths: D

Im hoping to retake some modules to bump up my grade in maths to at least a C to balance my grades out a bit by retaking some modules next january, but will this be stupid if uni's see my unit grades anyway when i apply? Or do the uni's just look at predicted grades?
    I am also going to carry on with all 4 of these subjects into A2 to make my application stronger.

My personal statement would include gaining a silver award in the senior maths challenge, contributing to winning the county innovation award in young enterprise, being captain of school bball team, and member of the student management team in my college.
    A friend of mine didn't put any AS grades, just predicted grades. And only Oxbidge asks for your module scores, the rest doesn't. So it very much depends on gardes your teachers will give you. Check Paulwhy's TAELT in this forum. It will give you a decent view on what the unis requirements, at least in terms of grades, are.

Oh, and I wouldn't mention getting that silver award. I got one myself, same as 10 others students at my school. Getting a gold would be another story though.

ReputationRep:
    you're probably sick of seeing me paulwhy! but i still have questions, sorry!
    Yes you both seem a little slow and inefficeintly post similar posts in different threads.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Bath

Read TAELT 2010: you want an AAB.2.1 safety.

(Original post by goldsilvy)
    A friend of mine didn't put any AS grades, just predicted grades. And only Oxbidge asks for your module scores, the rest doesn't. So it very much depends on gardes your teachers will give you. Check Paulwhy's TAELT in this forum. It will give you a decent view on what the unis requirements, at least in terms of grades, are.

Oh, and I wouldn't mention getting that silver award. I got one myself, same as 10 others students at my school. Getting a gold would be another story though.
    does our predicted grades get sent straight to UCAS/universities from our teachers? or do we put them down ourself on UCAS?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    does our predicted grades get sent straight to UCAS/universities from our teachers? or do we put them down ourself on UCAS?
    Your teachers put them on.

(Original post by .ACS.)
    Your teachers put them on.
    ahh, thats bad for many people! hopefuly i get my 90+ UMS in C1 and C2 because only then will they predict us an A*
    i think geography they'll predict anyone with an A, an A*
    physics definitly not an A*..!
    economics i have a chance of getting predicted an A* if my modules are 90%+ UMS
    further maths probably and A
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ahh, thats bad for many people! hopefuly i get my 90+ UMS in C1 and C2 because only then will they predict us an A*
    i think geography they'll predict anyone with an A, an A*
    physics definitly not an A*..!
    economics i have a chance of getting predicted an A* if my modules are 90%+ UMS
    further maths probably and A
    You could always talk to your teachers and see if they'd predict you an A* irrespective. At my school they simply predicted the same as the highest entry requirements you applied for (unless of course you were on target for AAA but applied for a BBB university or something similar).

(Original post by .ACS.)
    You could always talk to your teachers and see if they'd predict you an A* irrespective. At my school they simply predicted the same as the highest entry requirements you applied for (unless of course you were on target for AAA but applied for a BBB university or something similar).
    ah ok, thats good actually
    im still not 100% what the teachers do, i just hope i get predicted at leastr A*AAA or A*AAB

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask, which, if any, of the universities I will apply to will care that I come from a failing school?
    In the latest Ofsted inspection my school failed (Overall effectiveness: Inadequate) and I wanted to know if any good can come from this?
    Will it be taken into account?

I will be applying to:
    Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiasco)
    Just wanted to ask, which, if any, of the universities I will apply to will care that I come from a failing school?
    In the latest Ofsted inspection my school failed (Overall effectiveness: Inadequate) and I wanted to know if any good can come from this?
    Will it be taken into account?

I will be applying to:
    Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick

Thanks
    Yes (if your referee mentions it).
    And all unis will consider such mitigating factors.

What is your academic situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Yes (if your referee mentions it).
    And all unis will consider such mitigating factors.

What is your academic situation?
    Very good considering the school, the details are a few pages back.
    8A*'s 2A's
    4 A levels, 6 AS's
    Might take STEP papers, a third A level in maths (5th in total) or AEA economics (if it is still done).

ReputationRep:
    AEA economics (if it is still done).
    June 2009 was the last session. Only AEA Maths will be continued until 2012.

ReputationRep:
    Very good considering the school, the details are a few pages back.
    Are they?
    I stopped seraching once I hit March..

8A*'s 2A's
    4 A levels, 6 AS's
    Might take STEP papers, a third A level in maths (5th in total) or AEA economics (if it is still done).
    What subjects are you doing and what grades are you predicted?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.