Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    Perfect, one down, thousands of others left to compete with.
    haha i wasn't saying i was going to not apply, just saying not applying to two at same uni!
    hahahhahahha ILL BE BACKKKKKKK
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pow!)
    this is the UK... positive discrimination. i quote my economics teacher when i say, "if you're black, gay and 38, then you're already half way to getting 5 offers"
    I think this is irrelevant and inappropriate for this thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    Message to anyone keen on going to Nottingham University:
    Q: Should i apply for both Economics and Economics+Econometrics
    A: "If you want to increase your chances of coming to Nottingham then applying for two of our courses certainly gives me the signal that you are very keen to come here, and I would usually try to make you an offer for one of the courses if possible." -Jo Morgan Undergraduate Admissions Officer
    May be useful for those who really really want to get into Nottingham for Economics, i know i think this is very encouraging and Nottingham is definitly a university i would like to go!
    Have you got a reference for that?

ReputationRep:
    ah but im not foreign!!
    and im pretty sure this is 99% of the time not the case...
    UCL/LSE aint going to chose me just because im from and indian family with uneducated parents, i was born here! only my parents were born abroad... which means very little nowadays.. im not even at a crappy failing local school, im at a regular grammar school and so i wont benefit again from this 'positive discrimination' you mention

maybe an extreme, like if i came from afghanistaion 7 years ago, and im now fluent in english and both my parents are unemployed asylum seekers who dont speak any english and im a mathematic sgenius or something, then yes i would agree...!!
    id argue that 99% figure of it not being the case is probably significant smaller. let me give you a real example. two people i know applied to exeter for economics this year. student A was given an offer of AAB (had maths, econ, physics, as fm). student B was given an offer of BBB and a £1000 bursary (had 3 alevels, no maths). student B had jamaican parents and was female...

(Original post by Greg.)
    I think this is irrelevant and inappropriate for this thread...
    my point being backed up by this... typical brit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How is it 'typical brit'? :rolleyes:
    Obviously universities want to encourage students from ethnic minorities and poorer backgrounds to apply, but the main deciding factor is the candidates economic ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    id argue that 99% figure of it not being the case is probably significant smaller. let me give you a real example. two people i know applied to exeter for economics this year. student A was given an offer of AAB (had maths, econ, physics, as fm). student B was given an offer of BBB and a £1000 bursary (had 3 alevels, no maths). student B had jamaican parents and was female...

my point being backed up by this... typical brit.
    you don't know all the info though, the student A may not have been able to qualify for bursary if they are rich enough. though the BBB offer sounds dodgy becuase evryone gets offered at least AAB

(Original post by Paulwhy)
    Have you got a reference for that?
    reference?
    as in, i sent an email to the admissions person at nottingham with a bunch of questions, and that is one of the answers to one of my questions
    i can copypaste the whole email if you want

ReputationRep:
    reference?
    as in, i sent an email to the admissions person at nottingham with a bunch of questions, and that is one of the answers to one of my questions
    i can copypaste the whole email if you want
    That would be very very helpful.

That would be very very helpful.
    From: ################# [mailto: ##############] On Behalf Of Milan Mehta
    Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:14 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Economics Admissions

Just a few general questions about Economics and Economics + Econometrics courses at Nottingham

Which of the two is more competitive and how should one chose between the two? i.e. should it be based on if the applicant likes and is good at statistics and econometrics based subjects?
    Is applying to both a good idea? Because i know last year there were many rejections for Economics at Nottingham for those with very good GCSEs (above 7A*) and all A's at AS level, and some people just want to secure a place to study economics and especially at nottingham, therefore should we apply to both?
    Finally, there are only 10 people admitted for econometrics, is this because of the low number of people who want to study compulsary modules in econometrics? Or is it because only 10 people are admitted? Is there scope for more to be taken in? What sort of GCSE grades and AS Level grades/subjects do you look for in terms of Econometrics+Economics degree applicants? Is further mathematics a highly desirable A level and is it well regarded by admissions tutors?

Thank you very much, this will help me decide about my choices of courses and university
    -Milan Mehta
    RE: Economics Admissions‏From: Jo Morgan ([email protected])
    Sent: Mon 7/06/09 10:05 AM
    To: Milan Mehta (###################
    Cc: Tim Lloyd ([email protected])

Dear Milan

Thank you for your email. I am glad you are considering applying to Nottingham and will try to answer all your questions. Entry to our courses is very competitive but we do not have a set number of GCSE A*s that you must have in order to be successful. Applications are all treated individually and someone who has a weaker GCSE profile will not be ruled out if they are very strong elsewhere.

The Economics and Econometrics course is less oversubscribed than Economics. We usually end up with around 10 students but this is not because we are much stricter about entry requirements - it is more because fewer people want to take the degree. Obviously you need to be strong in Maths to take that degree. Further Maths is not necessary but you may find it useful.

If you want to increase your chances of coming to Nottingham then applying for two of our courses certainly gives me the signal that you are very keen to come here, and I would usually try to make you an offer for one of the courses if possible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Jo

Mrs Jo Morgan
    Undergraduate Admissions Officer
    Room B65
    School of Economics
    University of Nottingham
    Nottingham
    NG7 2RD
    Telephone: 0115 951 5617
    Fax: 0115 951 4159

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.
    The email i sent and recieved

ReputationRep:
    Jo Morgan has to be the best economics admission tutor. She is the only one which actually answers the question she's been asked.

(Original post by astudent)
    Jo Morgan has to be the best economics admission tutor. She is the only one which actually answers the question she's been asked.
    yes!! you're so right, i've asked LSE UCL and a couple of other universities some different questions and their answers are either vague, or they don't reply, or they don't actually answer the question!

ReputationRep:
    The email i sent and recieved
    You might want to hash out your email address.

yes!! you're so right, i've asked LSE UCL and a couple of other universities some different questions and their answers are either vague, or they don't reply, or they don't actually answer the question!
    Well I guess:
    i) answering applicant emails takes up time.
    ii) all information given out by Notts can be used by rejected applicants against them.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone put things into perspective for me.

Now I know its a little early but my question is more targeted at the a levels.

Out of the 3 options, what would put me in a better position for a place at a (5 to 10) ranked uni.

1) Take 3 A2's - but have a greater chance in getting an A* (maths and/or economics)
    2) Take 3 A2's - and add AS further maths. I am not sure how I would do this because I don't feel confident enough to self study - private tutor maybe?
    3) Carry on all 4 AS's to A2.

Predicted 4A* 5A 2B at GCSE.

Taking Maths, Economics, History and Physics.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)

Out of the 3 options, what would put me in a better position for a place at a (5 to 10) ranked uni.

1) Take 3 A2's - but have a greater chance in getting an A* (maths and/or economics)
    2) Take 3 A2's - and add AS further maths. I am not sure how I would do this because I don't feel confident enough to self study - private tutor maybe?

Not entirely helpful, but the honest answer would be to reassess this at the end of your AS year. At least wait until you get your GCSE results!

Hell, I decided on my AS's in late August, the day I had to finalise them. I intended to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing, but was told I should be taking another. Decided on Economics on a whim, and now I'm going to be applying to do it at Uni. Things can change, although I'm sure I don't need to tell you this .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbare)
    Not entirely helpful, but the honest answer would be to reassess this at the end of your AS year. At least wait until you get your GCSE results!

Hell, I decided on my AS's in late August, the day I had to finalise them. I intended to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing, but was told I should be taking another. Decided on Economics on a whim, and now I'm going to be applying to do it at Uni. Things can change, although I'm sure I don't need to tell you this .
    I guess. :yes:

ReputationRep:

It is not a little early: it is very very early. But in terms of getting offers it is not your actual grades that count but your predicted grades. And I am not sure that your teachers will consider the extra work load of extra A2 courses when making your predicted A2 grades in a years time. Hence I don't think the extra chance of getting A* grades if you do only 3 A2 subjects is that relevant.

ReputationRep:
    It is not a little early: it is very very early. But in terms of getting offers it is not your actual grades that count but your predicted grades. And I am not sure that your teachers will consider the extra work load of extra A2 courses when making your predicted A2 grades in a years time. Hence I don't think the extra chance of getting A* grades if you do only 3 A2 subjects is that relevant.
    I feel guilty for saying it now.

Anyway, how about I come back this time next year and get feedback then.

ReputationRep:
    I feel guilty for saying it now.

Anyway, how about I come back this time next year and get feedback then.
    No need to be guilty.
    And it is good that you are thinking ahead.
    Just hard to give good advise yet.

ReputationRep:
    Added a new question to the third post:
    What about Economics and Econometrics?
    Econometrics is the application of statistics to econometric data. Straight economics courses at good universities will include a substatational amount of econometrics modules. This is because economists want to be scientific and econometrics gives them the tools to test their theories. So before choosing "Economics and Econometrics" over straight Economics, you should check out what difference that will make to the modules you take.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...05&postcount=3

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm be honest with me,

I got 5A* at a state school which wasnt that brilliant

I'll be leaving sixth form with 5 AS and 3A2 (Maths, Economics, Accounting at A2. Eng Lang and Extended Project at AS)

The A2 should all be at A grade
    The AS will probably be one at A/B and one at B/C

What chance do I have of getting into a top uni such as Durham or Nottingham?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.