Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer of 69)
    think i have a better grasp of clearing now, so if something goes terribly wrong and I end up with three C's I'll always be able to get into somewhere like man met for economics? because that was my main worry.
    yes.

also i dont want to go out of this border when applying for unis ...
    which border?

what would you say were the best ones in this area?
    by area you mean economics?
    TAELT is ordered in terms of competivity not quality. And quality is a personal thing and you should visit unis and make an individual decision. But I would expect in general the best unis to be the most competitive and the 11 unis in the top 11 positions on TAELT 2010 are the same 11 as in The Independent 2010 table. So as a first pass as a meaure of quality start near the top of TAELT and work down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    yes.

which border?

by area you mean economics?
    TAELT is ordered in terms of competivity not quality. And quality is a personal thing and you should visit unis and make an individual decision. But I would expect in general the best unis to be the most competitive and the 11 unis in the top 11 positions on TAELT 2010 are the same 11 as in The Independent 2010 table. So as a first pass as a meaure of quality start near the top of TAELT and work down.
    oh good well now i know that I deffo won't waste an option on man met,

and by border i mean area of the country, I attached a photo. i was just wondering which ones were the best in a sort of 2 hour radius from where I live (I'm a bit of a homebird y'see i wana be able to come home most weekends)

ReputationRep:
    oh good well now i know that I deffo won't waste an option on man met,

and by border i mean area of the country, I attached a photo. i was just wondering which ones were the best in a sort of 2 hour radius from where I live (I'm a bit of a homebird y'see i wana be able to come home most weekends)
    Well there is a link (http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/browse/unimapper/#) in the first post of this thread to a website that gives times and distances from your home to any Uk uni.

But stand out unis would be Birmingham, York, Warwick (on outskirts of Coventry), Notts.
    (+ Manchester but I would not recommend them:
    i)too close to home.
    ii)basically it is a BA course and you should get offers to better courses e.g. Bimingham, York.

ReputationRep:
    Where should I apply to?
    Well If you are confident of getting AAB then even if your application has weaknesses then go for:

1 Bliss Uni
    2 AAB.1.1
    2 AAB.2.1

But will I not get 5 rejections? e.g. I have no GCSE A*s And are not all top unis really competitive to get into?
    York and Southampton are both top 15 unis. But they are not hard to get offers from. e.g. in admission cycle 07/08 York made an offer to an applicant doing 3 A-levels of Maths, GS and ICT. Similarly Southampton have made offer to students with grades b and c in maths and econ at AS.

But what about if I screw up my exams?
    Well the full Southampton offer is AAB/ABBb/ABBC/ABBcc. So if you have a 4th AS-level b then you only need ABB at AS-level. in 08 York let in people with York offers who only managed ABB. (No guarantee York will do the same thing this year.But it would not surprise me)

But I am pessimist
    Then add in a ABB.1 insurnace uni as well as the 2 AAB.1.1 unis.

What about if my application is stronger. Do I still need a AAB.2 uni?
    Above AAB.2.1 it gets very competitive. So unless you are doing 4 A-levels (and that means traditional subjects (preferably including FM).), please include something at the AAB.2.1 level. i.e. you don't want to over apply and end up with nothing.

But if you are confident about the strength of your application then a good 5 if you have 4 A-levels might be:
    1 AAA.0
    1 AAB.0/AAA.1
    1 AAA.2.1
    2 AAB.1.1

So when should I apply to more top unis?
    Well you need a lot academically. e.g. 5 or more good A-levels and 8 GCSE A*s.
    e.g. Notts have started rejecting candidates because they have less than 7 GCSE A*s.
    (If you go to a crap school then you might get away with a bit less).

In that case you might go for:
    2 AAA.0
    2 AAB.0/AAA.1
    1 AAA.2.1/AAB.1.1

Haven't got any replies yet! My application was sent off about a month ago. Should I be worried or is this normal?
    Firstly university admissions are beaurcratic. i.e. multiple levels of people process each application. So it can take time.

Secondly the situation is different depending on how competitive the uni is. i.e. some unis make offers to a lot of applicants and let the A_level exam results determine their students. These unis can be quick (very quick) at making offers. Hard to be exact but the cutoff is about the AAB.2.1 level.

Thirdly with top unis the lack of offers means your application is not one of the very strongest (e.g. top 5-10% at the unis you are applying to).

But on the upside the lack of rejections means it is not a weak application (e.g. bottom 20%).
    i.e. the top unis don't make that many offers until after the January 15th closing date.

Will there being any good econ unis in clearing?
    Few good econ courses end up formally in clearing (e.g. listed in the Independent or online at the UCAS website).

However if unis are short on a course and don't want to go into clearing formally then they can just accept students who ring up on Results Day.

Warwick did that in 2008 e.g. they made too few offers as they had 40% too many students the previous year.

But I would expect them only to be after free agents. i.e. applicants without Firm (or Insurance) offers. But if you do have an offer you meet but are interested in another uni then you can still ring up and ask even about spaces even if they are not formally listed on the UCAS website (or in the Independent Newspaper) as being in clearing for economics.

Note: I have been working on this for a while. It is not complete but I thought I would post what I have. Please post possible future questions below.
    I kinda messed up my GCSEs by getting 1A*, 7 As and 2 Bs because i was so heavily involved in sport (A* was in maths).
    But Im confident this year my AS level results are going to be AAAA (maths, chem, phy & eco) since all my Jan 09 exams were A grades.
    Do you think it will be wise to apply to the top 5 to study Economics?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, LSE and UCL are the ones to stay clear if you have bad gcses imo

ReputationRep:
    Well there is a link (http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/browse/unimapper/#) in the first post of this thread to a website that gives times and distances from your home to any Uk uni.

But stand out unis would be Birmingham, York, Warwick (on outskirts of Coventry), Notts.
    (+ Manchester but I would not recommend them:
    i)too close to home.
    ii)basically it is a BA course and you should get offers to better courses e.g. Bimingham, York.
    thanks il check that website out (Y)

BA? haha i really do need to find out more about course types :P but yeah doubt il go manchester anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captnibby1234)
    I kinda messed up my GCSEs by getting 1A*, 7 As and 2 Bs because i was so heavily involved in sport (A* was in maths).
    But Im confident this year my AS level results are going to be AAAA (maths, chem, phy & eco) since all my Jan 09 exams were A grades.
    Do you think it will be wise to apply to the top 5 to study Economics?
    Yes, as: You should still be safe at the AAB.2.1 level so 1 AAB.2.1 uni and 4 above that level should make sense.
    Some unis care a lot (more) about GCSEs e.g. LSE, Notts. So that would be a factor against applying to them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as: You should still be safe at the AAB.2.1 level so 1 AAB.2.1 uni and 4 above that level should make sense.
    Some unis care a lot (more) about GCSEs e.g. LSE, Notts. So that would be a factor against applying to them.
    But iam planning to give this TSA entrance exam for Oxbridge.....If i like pass it ... do i have a chance?

I have no intention of applying to LSE and notts btw.

Do we have to state all our GCSEs in the UCas or can we just state out our good grades.
    And plus is it even nessascary to state our GCSEs at all in UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was rejected for medicine for entry this September 2009. I've had a lot of time to think about what my plans are and have decided not to reapply for medicine but to apply for a place on either an Economics or PPE course.
    I got 4 A*'s and 7 A's at GCSE. I'm predicted 4 A's at A level in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology. I also have plenty of extra-curriculars, leadership things and a growing knowledge of economics (I'm making my way through the reading lists).
    I've read through most of the info on the first pages of this thread but I'm still a little lost as to where to apply. I live in London and would prefer to get away but if the degrees with the best employment rates (into the big 4 for example) and prestige are in London then I will stay.
    Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    But iam planning to give this TSA entrance exam for Oxbridge.....If i like pass it ... do i have a chance?
    Applying to Oxbridge would not be unreasonable: they interview (and have the TSA exam) so less relative wight placed on GCSE grades.

I have no intention of applying to LSE and notts btw.

Do we have to state all our GCSEs in the UCas or can we just state out our good grades.
    And plus is it even nessascary to state our GCSEs at all in UCAS?
    need to state all GCSEs and grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DriftingBore)
    Hello!

I was rejected for medicine for entry this September 2009. I've had a lot of time to think about what my plans are and have decided not to reapply for medicine but to apply for a place on either an Economics or PPE course.
    I got 4 A*'s and 7 A's at GCSE. I'm predicted 4 A's at A level in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology. I also have plenty of extra-curriculars, leadership things and a growing knowledge of economics (I'm making my way through the reading lists).
    I've read through most of the info on the first pages of this thread but I'm still a little lost as to where to apply. I live in London and would prefer to get away but if the degrees with the best employment rates (into the big 4 for example) and prestige are in London then I will stay.
    Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for your help.
    What are your GAP year plans?
    e.g. Are you planning on studying Economics A-level?

Not got your grades yet or what the actual 2009 places situation is for econ. But 1 AAB.2.1 uni and 4 above that sounds sensible to me.

ReputationRep:
    Applying to Oxbridge would not be unreasonable: they interview (and have the TSA exam) so less relative wight placed on GCSE grades.

need to state all GCSEs and grades.
    Are you sure because our teachers said you don't have to state your GCSEs and plus i even checked that thoses unis clearly state that GCSEs are not required.
    On the LSE page there is no mention of stating our GCSEs. Apparently only our AS levels and A levels will count.

Im kinda confused now.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    What are your GAP year plans?
    e.g. Are you planning on studying Economics A-level?

Not got your grades yet or what the actual 2009 places situation is for econ. But 1 AAB.2.1 uni and 4 above that sounds sensible to me.
    Just started a job for six months. Them I'm vlounteering in Venezuela for 3 months. I have no plans to study economics outside of my own reading, is it a recquired subject? I've only seen a handful of places where it looks like it is preferred...

Ah cool, thanks, I'll start picking out some courses that fit that and read throught the desriptors.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure because our teachers said you don't have to state your GCSEs and plus i even checked that thoses unis clearly state that GCSEs are not required.
    On the LSE page there is no mention of stating our GCSEs. Apparently only our AS levels and A levels will count.

Im kinda confused now.:woo:
    Well, UCAS guide says you do have to state your GCSEs. Anyway, you will know for sure in few months time.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf ucas guide.pdf (95.6 KB, 125 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DriftingBore)
    Just started a job for six months. Them I'm vlounteering in Venezuela for 3 months. I have no plans to study economics outside of my own reading, is it a recquired subject? I've only seen a handful of places where it looks like it is preferred...

Ah cool, thanks, I'll start picking out some courses that fit that and read throught the desriptors.
    No. There are a lot of places were it is preffered. Check out TAELT 2010 for which unis are open about that preference.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the UCAS website and the UCAS Applications forum on TSR.
    But if you could some how not state your GCSEs it would be a terrible idea: it would send out a terrible signal to your selected unis!

You should investigate LSE yourself about your own personal situation. e.g. email and Open Days.
    But it is pretty much accepted that GCSE grades are very much one of the criterea they use. 6 A*s is an often quoted minimum.
    Notts in the 08/09 cycle were also telling some rejected econ applicants that it was due to them not having 5/6 GCSE A*s.
    (see TAELT 2010 Notts entry for details).

ReputationRep:
    Where should I apply to?
    Well If you are confident of getting AAB then even if your application has weaknesses then go for:

1 Bliss Uni
    2 AAB.1.1
    2 AAB.2.1

But will I not get 5 rejections? e.g. I have no GCSE A*s And are not all top unis really competitive to get into?
    York and Southampton are both top 15 unis. But they are not hard to get offers from. e.g. in admission cycle 07/08 York made an offer to an applicant doing 3 A-levels of Maths, GS and ICT. Similarly Southampton have made offer to students with grades b and c in maths and econ at AS.

But what about if I screw up my exams?
    Well the full Southampton offer is AAB/ABBb/ABBC/ABBcc. So if you have a 4th AS-level b then you only need ABB at AS-level. in 08 York let in people with York offers who only managed ABB. (No guarantee York will do the same thing this year.But it would not surprise me)

But I am pessimist
    Then add in a ABB.1 insurnace uni as well as the 2 AAB.1.1 unis.

What about if my application is stronger. Do I still need a AAB.2 uni?
    Above AAB.2.1 it gets very competitive. So unless you are doing 4 A-levels (and that means traditional subjects (preferably including FM).), please include something at the AAB.2.1 level. i.e. you don't want to over apply and end up with nothing.

But if you are confident about the strength of your application then a good 5 if you have 4 A-levels might be:
    1 AAA.0
    1 AAB.0/AAA.1
    1 AAA.2.1
    2 AAB.1.1

So when should I apply to more top unis?
    Well you need a lot academically. e.g. 5 or more good A-levels and 8 GCSE A*s.
    e.g. Notts have started rejecting candidates because they have less than 7 GCSE A*s.
    (If you go to a crap school then you might get away with a bit less).

In that case you might go for:
    2 AAA.0
    2 AAB.0/AAA.1
    1 AAA.2.1/AAB.1.1

Haven't got any replies yet! My application was sent off about a month ago. Should I be worried or is this normal?
    Firstly university admissions are beaurcratic. i.e. multiple levels of people process each application. So it can take time.

Secondly the situation is different depending on how competitive the uni is. i.e. some unis make offers to a lot of applicants and let the A_level exam results determine their students. These unis can be quick (very quick) at making offers. Hard to be exact but the cutoff is about the AAB.2.1 level.

Thirdly with top unis the lack of offers means your application is not one of the very strongest (e.g. top 5-10% at the unis you are applying to).

But on the upside the lack of rejections means it is not a weak application (e.g. bottom 20%).
    i.e. the top unis don't make that many offers until after the January 15th closing date.

Will there being any good econ unis in clearing?
    Few good econ courses end up formally in clearing (e.g. listed in the Independent or online at the UCAS website).

However if unis are short on a course and don't want to go into clearing formally then they can just accept students who ring up on Results Day.

Warwick did that in 2008 e.g. they made too few offers as they had 40% too many students the previous year.

But I would expect them only to be after free agents. i.e. applicants without Firm (or Insurance) offers. But if you do have an offer you meet but are interested in another uni then you can still ring up and ask even about spaces even if they are not formally listed on the UCAS website (or in the Independent Newspaper) as being in clearing for economics.

Note: I have been working on this for a while. It is not complete but I thought I would post what I have. Please post possible future questions below.
    Hi Paulwhy,

Ive got my AS results: ABBB
    The 3 Bs were all 1,2,3 marks of an A.
    Im confident to get them up to AAAB in retaks next year.
    Im doing Maths, f maths, eco, chem, phys.

which unis do you recommend i apply as these grades now force me to change? (forget oxbridge, UCL)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Paulwhy,

Ive got my AS results: ABBB
    The 3 Bs were all 1,2,3 marks of an A.
    Im confident to get them up to AAAB in retaks next year.
    Im doing Maths, f maths, eco, chem, phys.

which unis do you recommend i apply as these grades now force me to change? (forget oxbridge, UCL)
    How come you have 4 AS-levels and 5 A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    How come you have 4 AS-levels and 5 A-levels?
    Maths AS + A2 in one year probably.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's: 4 A*'s, 3 A's, 3 B's and a D.

AS results:
    Maths A 259/300
    Economics A 154/200
    Physics A 250/300
    Geography C 138/200
    General Studies C 137/200

I should get Geography and General Studies up to B's at AS level through remarks and/or resits. Currently, I'm planning to drop Geography for A2 and take up Extended Project Qualification. What combination of offers would you advise?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.