Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much extra value would taking Computing to A2 add, as opposed to just doing Maths, FM, Econ and Physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbare)
    How much extra value would taking Computing to A2 add, as opposed to just doing Maths, FM, Econ and Physics?
    A friend of mine is doing exactly the same combination, both in AS and A2, and he is predicted by the teachers to receive an offer to study Maths in Cambridge. So I would say that as long as you ace your grades (his are above 90% UMS I reckon), then no need for Computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbare)
    Not sure there a lot of gain from doing a subject like Computing which is of questionable rep to A2 when you already have 4:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Well you will have 5 A-levels in the end but your grades are currently a little iffy. So make sure you include an AAB.2.1 safety.
    But will the universites see my ABBB AS results when i send off my UCAS?
    If not, when actually will they see it? Next year March/April results for the Jan 10 exams?

ReputationRep:
    for A2 next year i will be probably be taking maths, economics and history and an AS in further maths. Hopefully i will be predicted A's in all and i will also have an A grade in politics for AS. Will it be better taking the 3 a levels and further maths or 4 a levels which would be economics, history, maths and politics and have an A*aaa prediciton with the A* prediciton in politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captnibby1234)
    But will the universites see my ABBB AS results when i send off my UCAS?
    If not, when actually will they see it? Next year March/April results for the Jan 10 exams?
    check out the AS grade decleration thread in the UCAS Applications forum.
    But if you don't declare your AS grades then unis may well think you have down badly (i.e. worse than you have) and that is not good with a really competitive subject like economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    for A2 next year i will be probably be taking maths, economics and history and an AS in further maths. Hopefully i will be predicted A's in all and i will also have an A grade in politics for AS. Will it be better taking the 3 a levels and further maths or 4 a levels which would be economics, history, maths and politics and have an A*aaa prediciton with the A* prediciton in politics?
    Not sure. But if you stick with politics then that could open up 4 A-level offers.

ReputationRep:
    Just got my AS results and got..

History: A
    Maths : A
    Psychology: A
    Economics: B ( , got an A in one module and a low C in the other somehow so will retake the C and hopefully get it up to an A)

I am dropping Psychology next year and taking up AS further maths and am also doing the extended project. I am 99% sure my teacher will still predict me an A for economics and will maybe be predicted an A* in maths so my predicted grades should hopefully be AAA or A*AA. Will hopefully get an A/B in fm and an A in the EPQ.

I was planning on applying to Warwick, UCL, Surrey (as an insurance) and two others I am not sure about.

How would you rate my chance of getting offers from UCL and Warwick and what other Uni's would you suggest I apply to?

Will be grateful for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

Economics: B ( , got an A in one module and a low C in the other somehow so will retake the C and hopefully get it up to an A)

I am dropping Psychology next year and taking up AS further maths and am also doing the extended project. I am 99% sure my teacher will still predict me an A for economics and will maybe be predicted an A* in maths so my predicted grades should hopefully be AAA or A*AA. Will hopefully get an A/B in fm and an A in the EPQ.

I was planning on applying to Warwick, UCL, Surrey (as an insurance) and two others I am not sure about.

How would you rate my chance of getting offers from UCL and Warwick and what other Uni's would you suggest I apply to?

What were your GCSE grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

What are your C3 and C4 grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    What are your C3 and C4 grades?
    Doing those next year.....

ReputationRep:
    What were your GCSE grades?
    Really dissapointing, didn't work as hard as I should have. Got 1 A* (history) , 4 A's (Maths, RE and two in science), 4 B's (English lit and language, PE, IT) and 2 C's (DT and stats which I took a year early).
    Only reason I didn't even consider applying LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

Weaknesses
    i)Only 3 A-levels
    ii)No Further Maths
    iii)Only 4 AS levels.
    iv) B grade Economics.
    v) only GCSE A*

Neutral
    i)Maths A-level
    ii)Economics A-level

Suggest

1 AAA.0.1/AAA.0.2 Oxbridge
    1 UCL/Warwick
    1 AAA.1.1/AAA-B.1.0 Notts/Durham/Bristol
    1 Bath/St Andrews/Edinburgh
    1 AAB.2.1 York/Birmingham/Southampton

I don't see why you need Surrey BBB as a safety when your grades are plenty good enough for AAB.2.1 offers. Avoiding GCSE tastic uni like LSE probably makes sense. So have Oxbridge instead.

ReputationRep:
    Weaknesses
    i)Only 3 A-levels
    ii)No Further Maths
    iii)Only 4 AS levels.
    iv) B grade Economics.
    v) only GCSE A*

Neutral
    i)Maths A-level
    ii)Economics A-level

Suggest

1 AAA.0.1/AAA.0.2 Oxbridge
    1 UCL/Warwick
    1 AAA.1.1/AAA-B.1.0 Notts/Durham/Bristol
    1 Bath/St Andrews/Edinburgh
    1 AAB.2.1 York/Birmingham/Southampton

I don't see why you need Surrey BBB as a safety when your grades are plenty good enough for AAB.2.1 offers. Avoiding GCSE tastic uni like LSE probably makes sense. So have Oxbridge instead.

I chose Surrey as I live in Surrey and have heard its not a half-bad uni for employment purposes. I don't know if I want to apply Oxbridge as I am not really great at interviews and won't be able to do my PS in time for my college's oxbridge deadline. I would prefer to have my top five as something like...

1.UCL
    2.Warwick
    3.Bristol
    4.Bath
    5.Surrey

Good choices ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    I chose Surrey as I live in Surrey and have heard its not a half-bad uni for employment purposes.
    what makes you think that?

(Original post by Deshi)
    I don't know if I want to apply Oxbridge as I am not really great at interviews and won't be able to do my PS in time for my college's oxbridge deadline.
    Sounds like 2 excuses to me.
    i.e. I think you have a small chance with Oxbridge, but if you really don't want to go there then don't apply.

(Original post by Deshi)
    I would prefer to have my top five as something like...

1.UCL
    2.Warwick
    3.Bristol
    4.Bath
    5.Surrey

Good choices ?
    UCL are pretty GCSE A* tastic so I think you have more chance with Oxbridge. e.g. you may be better at Interviews than you think.

Surrey likely to be in Extra, whilst the AAB.2.1 unis will not. So you need to be sure before not selecting them.

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of applying to economics and if i do apply i wiil try for nottingham(economics and econometrics), Bath, manchester, southampton and birmingham.
    Ive got 3A* 7A's and 2C's AT GCSE. 3 A's and a B in maths, history, politics and econonomics respectively and looking to drop politics and pick up further maths at AS next year. Should be predicited 3A's and an A in further maths AS. Are my choices reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Paul, my grades are as followed:

GCSEs - 7A*; 7A

AS - Maths A; Economics - A; Psychology - B (one UMS mark off an A); Accounting - A

Prediction: AAAA(A/B) - the fifth grade in the bracket is a possible prediction for F Maths, as I only decided to take it around April/May, have done 4 core modules only, don't know how my teacher will look upon that F Maths prediction yet.

NB No A* for Maths possible, as my average for C3 and C4 combined is only 85.5%, and I have heard that no retakes are allowed in order to be awarded A*. That means no UCL or Cambridge as for me.

With all the above information taken into account I was thinking of applying to

1) LSE
    2) Warwick
    3) Durham
    4) Nottingham
    5) Birmingham / Manchester

Good choices?

ReputationRep:
    what makes you think that?

Sounds like 2 excuses to me.
    i.e. I think you have a small chance with Oxbridge, but if you really don't want to go there then don't apply.

UCL are pretty GCSE A* tastic so I think you have more chance with Oxbridge. e.g. you may be better at Interviews than you think.

Surrey likely to be in Extra, whilst the AAB.2.1 unis will not. So you need to be sure before not selecting them.

Sorry but I don't really understand that, what does it mean exactly lol :confused:

Also, do I have to be predicted an A* in maths to apply for UCL ?

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE]
    UCAS Extra:

http://www.ucas.com/students/afteryouapply/extra

simply means that if you receive no offers. you will still be able to apply for one additional course, which in your case would be Surrey. Better to apply to higher ranked university, one in a range of AAB.2.1. which are not likely to have any places offered in UCAS Extra. Um, have you read the opening post by Paulwhy?

(Original post by Deshi)

Some students won't be predicted A* grades even though they might be very likely to receive them, so disadvatanging them just on this basis would be unfair. In short, nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Sorry but I don't really understand that, what does it mean exactly lol :confused:

look at TAELT 2010 for which unis are in which groups.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.