Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Paul, forgot to bump the topic up, are my university choices fine?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=438

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    But none of the newspaper league tables consider the academic cost of getting there.i.e. the value for effort.

But you should visit Exeter and investigate it and make up your own mind. (Exter is in the TAELT not ridicously competitive post and the following comments from that post apply:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...14&postcount=2

So Exeter make AAA offers to nearlly all applicants. But the AAA offer means to apply there you need to rank them really highly i.e. no good as an insurance uni.
    I went onto Southampton's website and it said that they want AAB. Another good university that I would consider is Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAJC)
    I went onto Southampton's website and it said that they want AAB. Another good university that I would consider is Birmingham.
    AAB is the headline offer but there are 4 offers:
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/.../entryreq.html

And here is the TAELT 2010 interpretation of them:
    15) Southampton (c) AAB/ABBb/ABBC/AABD/AAAE M*c 422 (Times 19th(17th), Independent 12th(14th), Guardian 26th(32nd))

(please check/let me know if TAELT is wrong!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    Hi Paul, my grades are as followed:

GCSEs - 7A*; 7A

AS - Maths A; Economics - A; Psychology - B (one UMS mark off an A); Accounting - A

Prediction: AAAA(A/B) - the fifth grade in the bracket is a possible prediction for F Maths, as I only decided to take it around April/May, have done 4 core modules only, don't know how my teacher will look upon that F Maths prediction yet.
    Weaknesses
    i)2 of the subjects (Accounting, Psychology) are less well respected.
    ii)Not Maths A*
    iii)Only 3 subjects of the highest respect: Maths, FM and Economics.

Neutral
    i)7 GCSE A* grades
    ii) 5 subjects to (atleast) AS level: Maths, FM, Economics, Accounting, Psychology
    iii) Maths grade A

Strengths
    i)5 A-levels (only 3 fully respected including FM)

NB No A* for Maths possible, as my average for C3 and C4 combined is only 85.5%, and I have heard that no retakes are allowed in order to be awarded A*. That means no UCL or Cambridge as for me.

With all the above information taken into account I was thinking of applying to
    Well:
    i) Cambridge is Maths A* on the website but only grade A on UCAS Course Search 2010. So you should ask Cambridge which is correct!
    ii) your reference does not mention that you can't resit mdoules.
    But yes C3 and C4 module marks will be an issue for UCL/LSE.

1) LSE
    2) Warwick
    3) Durham
    4) Nottingham
    5) Birmingham / Manchester

Good choices?
    You should clearly apply to 1 AAB.2.1 as a safety and 4 above that level. (Why you want Manchester BTW?) Very confident about you getting offers from Birmingham.

You Should contact unis and see what they think of your situation e.g. Accounting and Psychology A-levels.

Don't think Notts will reject you for lack of GCSE A*s. Also reasonable chance with Durham. Less chance with Warwick and esp. LSE.

ReputationRep:
    The more time passes, the more Paul is being pessimistic in my opinion. I mean, only 3 respected A levels? Oh, come on, not everyone even takes 4. 7A* neutral? I think it's plenty for nottingham, especially when there are more and more people ( I think in 09 offers thread) who get offers with less than 3A*.
    Surely, I think let's say there are 10 people to 1 place, so if let's say 3 offers for 1 place, then at worst 4 people per offer. And I think at least one of those 4 applicants will still be retards who have put that uni just for fun and don't have even decent A-level, not to mention results.
    I am in no way trying to be rude or something, it's just my opinion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TomasK)
    The more time passes, the more Paul is being pessimistic in my opinion. I mean, only 3 respected A levels? Oh, come on, not everyone even takes 4. 7A* neutral? I think it's plenty for nottingham, especially when there are more and more people ( I think in 09 offers thread) who get offers with less than 3A*.
    Surely, I think let's say there are 10 people to 1 place, so if let's say 3 offers for 1 place, then at worst 4 people per offer. And I think at least one of those 4 applicants will still be retards who have put that uni just for fun and don't have even decent A-level, not to mention results.
    The thing is, you have to take into account the sort of student who applied for these top universities.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with your views. The number of applicants and the quality of applicants for Economics have increased. Paul views are very realistic and he does advise to spread around your choices of univ through different tiers. Once one gets 3-4 offers then one can chose 2.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree that there are many top students, and I also encourage do try and do the most that is possible to strenghten your application, but once you can't do anything about it. Like grades you already have, it is quite discouraging to people by saying that it isn't worth trying to apply (in a non 100% direct way i mean) to the unis they really want to go, but nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    The more time passes, the more Paul is being pessimistic in my opinion.
    Well:
    i) I try and provide resistance both to overly pessimist selections e.g. to AAA applicants applying to Westminster or Surrey (both in Clearing and Extra!!) or to overly aggressive selections
    ii)point out applications lack qualities that other economics applications do.
    I mean, only 3 respected A levels?. Oh, come on, not everyone even takes 4.
    No they don't but lots do and doing extra A levels is one way of getting an advantage.

7A* neutral? I think it's plenty for nottingham, especially when there are more and more people ( I think in 09 offers thread) who get offers with less than 3A*.
    Not quite sure where this comes from. Check out the TAELT 2010 entries of Notts applicants getting rejections for having less than that:
    7) Nottingham AAA/AABB M**p (Bsc Economics and Econometrics M**A) E**p m#a468 40% Student excess in 2008 So look for 7 or 8 GCSE A*s. Summary stats No offers until after January 2010 deadline

You may wish to look at the available Admission Statistics for all the RRC and RC unis

Yes, I agree that there are many top students, and I also encourage do try and do the most that is possible to strenghten your application, but once you can't do anything about it. Like grades you already have, it is quite discouraging to people by saying that it isn't worth trying to apply (in a non 100% direct way i mean) to the unis they really want to go, but nevermind.
    Not sure that I (often) tell people not to apply to somewhere really want to apply to. I just try to point out potential issues that they may wish to ask their target uni about.

And I do try and encourage applicants to apply to their bliss uni. Just need to be a bit defensive as well.

And yes uni applicants can't change their GCSE grades or AS-level choices but they can find out and bear in mind how strongly each uni rate those things.

ReputationRep:
    BA vs BSc
    I've been told that BSc is much more mathematical and there is a correct answer for everything? Wheras BA is more topical and there aent really any correct answers?

I was just wonderiing which one appeals more to employers? Or which is more highly regarded?

ReputationRep:
    I think he's very fair and more than helpful. He definitely helps us calibrate our applications and university choices. I was probably a little too aggressive at first, and like Paul has said others can be too pessimistic (applying for clearing/extra courses); so he's very good at offering realistic advice. No one should accept his word as gospel, but ignoring his advice can be very stupid and lead to 5 rejections or a wasted application.

ReputationRep:
    Which course is better? Southampton BSc Economics or Notts Ba Finance, Accounting and Management? Please help

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of applying to economics and if i do apply i wiil try for nottingham(economics and econometrics), Bath, manchester, southampton and birmingham.
    Ive got 3A* 7A's and 2C's AT GCSE. 3 A's and a B in maths, history, politics and econonomics respectively and looking to drop politics and pick up further maths at AS next year. Should be predicited 3A's and an A in further maths AS. Are my choices reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiasco)
    I think he's very fair and more than helpful. He definitely helps us calibrate our applications and university choices. I was probably a little too aggressive at first, and like Paul has said others can be too pessimistic (applying for clearing/extra courses); so he's very good at offering realistic advice. No one should accept his word as gospel, but ignoring his advice can be very stupid and lead to 5 rejections or a wasted application.
    I'm not even trying to say his advice isn't helpful.

Oh, by the way, I have a question for Paul that hasn't been answered some time ago. I', taking 5 A-levels, 1 of the subjects, according to "how well the subject is regarded", is the worst I could pick. IT/ICT (name it how you like it). And the question is (actually a stupid one I think). Would it be more benefital to stick with 4 A- levels or to have the crap 5th wich is an A guarantee.

PS yeah, I will try to change ICT to something more respected.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even trying to say his advice isn't helpful.

Oh, by the way, I have a question for Paul that hasn't been answered some time ago. I', taking 5 A-levels, 1 of the subjects, according to "how well the subject is regarded", is the worst I could pick. IT/ICT (name it how you like it). And the question is (actually a stupid one I think). Would it be more benefital to stick with 4 A- levels or to have the crap 5th wich is an A guarantee.

PS yeah, I will try to change ICT to something more respected.
    I'm not even trying to say that you were saying his advice isn't helpful. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earsnot)
    I got my A-level results AAAaa on Thursday ( I met the A* criteria in Economics) but i narrowly missed out on the A* criteria for Maths.

In this case would it be worth retaking C4 which cost me and not cashing in my A grade, and then being predicted an A* essentially in September's ucas cycle?!

Or does the A* grade in maths for UCL not really apply to me because im one year ahead of most applicants on here, or will they hold firm and say theres no point in applying?

Any help?

(BTW i took full Maths A-level in the 08-09 year and got 89%)
    As I understand it to get A* you need to have taken the new syllabus that started with the AS in 2008. So I don't know what your school did in order to get you through the A-level in 1 year. e.g. I would be surprised if it was possible to do new syllabus A2 exams a year early. So anyway ask you school what the situation is.

In terms of UCL they are accepting students with Maths grade A when that was finished in 2009 or before.

ReputationRep:
    A e.
    Im thinking of applying to economics and if i do apply i wiil try for nottingham(economics and econometrics), Bath, manchester, southampton and birmingham.

Ive got 3A* 7A's and 2C's AT GCSE. 3 A's and a B in maths, history, politics and econonomics respectively and looking to drop politics and pick up further maths at AS next year. Should be predicited 3A's and an A in further maths AS. Are my choices reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    Yet again my question wasn't answered ^^

ReputationRep:
    Why you want Manchester BTW?
    Had a two-day-long visit in there and the city seemed pretty decent, haven't seen Birmingham yet, have just heard it's nice, that's why having a little dilemma. Will probably pick the latter one.

ReputationRep:
    Had a two-day-long visit in there and the city seemed pretty decent, haven't seen Birmingham yet, have just heard it's nice, that's why having a little dilemma. Will probably pick the latter one.
    Would be good for you to visit Birmingham.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.