Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    get rid of exeter and put warwick?
    Ideally i would like to, but i live too close to warwick so going there is not an option as i would want to move away from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeevesTSR)
    Ideally i would like to, but i live too close to warwick so going there is not an option as i would want to move away from home
    bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    I think applying for Warwick/Nottingham for straight economics would be a big mistake.
    It wont hurt to give a try, it's not as if i have any other choices. but thanks for the advice

(Original post by vintage_007)
    I don't understand this thinking behind UCL not letting the OP in with his GCSE grades? Is it just 'cause he's taking Economics?

'Cause I got 2 A8s, 3 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE, AAAB at AS and still got an offer from UCL, although for Linguistics and not for Econ?
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Having said that, I know nothing about applying for economics, nor economics itself, so maybe I shouldn't be replying.
    Good luck x
    :p: economics is very very very very competitive, especially at the top 11, UCL being in the top 4 for economics, it is ridiculously ridiculously ridiculously competitive, unlike linguistics, it has a high entry requirement and applicants are generally worse off if they have less than 8A* at gcse

ReputationRep:
    I am going to apply to Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Durham for Economics/Economics and Finance, is it worth taking the EPQ or AS Further Maths? I currently have A's in Maths, Economics and Physics with high C's in Geography (dropped but resitting to B) and General Studies.

Forgot to ask, is the BA for Exeter at a similar standard to the BA's offered by Oxbridge and the Bsc's elsewhere? Or is it a water-down economics course?

ReputationRep:
    AS FM, EPQ is worth next to nothing if we are all being honest here (both at oxford and bristol, members of admissions didnt know what it was). I got the impression at the open day by listening to the talk and especially talking to the students that Exeter's economics course isnt as mathematical as others available.. hence it's BA status. The newly released average graduate salaries have placed Exeter 21st for Economics. Although i know things like these should be taken with a pinch of salt, the rest of the table is very believable. this backs up the argument that BSc > BA.

you may just be left with exeter with those offers (econ is very competitive) so you may want to swap exeter for somewhere like birmingham/york/southampton in my opinion, that is of course unless you really (wouldnt see why you would haha) love exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    AS FM, EPQ is worth next to nothing if we are all being honest here (both at oxford and bristol, members of admissions didnt know what it was). I got the impression at the open day by listening to the talk and especially talking to the students that Exeter's economics course isnt as mathematical as others available.. hence it's BA status. The newly released average graduate salaries have placed Exeter 21st for Economics. Although i know things like these should be taken with a pinch of salt, the rest of the table is very believable. this backs up the argument that BSc > BA.

you may just be left with exeter with those offers (econ is very competitive) so you may want to swap exeter for somewhere like birmingham/york/southampton in my opinion, that is of course unless you really (wouldnt see why you would haha) love exeter.
    Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomasK)
    Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6832162.ece

click on subjectleagues.xls under multimedia links.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)

Just to clarify: you don't think that I will be made ANY offers by any of the universities that I listed bar Exeter? Or are you telling me to have 1 insurance-type option just in case?

Forgot to add that I have 4 A*'s (including Science, Maths and Stats), 3 A's, 3 B's and a D at GCSE as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAJC)
    Just to clarify: you don't think that I will be made ANY offers by any of the universities that I listed bar Exeter? Or are you telling me to have 1 insurance-type option just in case?

Forgot to add that I have 4 A*'s (including Science, Maths and Stats), 3 A's, 3 B's and a D at GCSE as well!
    no, im saying exeter is the only one you have a certain offer from. the others it will be very tough. economics is one of the most competitive degrees nowadays, so competition is fierce. we've seen people on this forum get 5 rejections with perfect grades, so be prepared. (imo i think you'd get offers from bath and exeter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    no, im saying exeter is the only one you have a certain offer from. the others it will be very tough. economics is one of the most competitive degrees nowadays, so competition is fierce. we've seen people on this forum get 5 rejections with perfect grades, so be prepared. (imo i think you'd get offers from bath and exeter)
    Thanks, I see what you mean. But I should have a decent personal reference put together and good teacher references to back me up. My predicted grades are A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAJC)
    Thanks, I see what you mean. But I should have a decent personal reference put together and good teacher references to back me up. My predicted grades are A*AA.
    A* predictions will pretty much be redundant this year as most colleges wont predict it (e.g. mine) because its in its first run. so you have AAA, a good personal statement, and a solid reference - the same as nearly every other applicant applying to your unis.

what im trying to say is, make sure you choose a good insurance, because its likely that it will be your destination (a reality i have come to, as i am also in your position). which is why im saying make sure you are 100% happy with exeter over arguably better, but lower grade requirement universities such as birmingham/york/southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    A* predictions will pretty much be redundant this year as most colleges wont predict it (e.g. mine) because its in its first run. so you have AAA, a good personal statement, and a solid reference - the same as nearly every other applicant applying to your unis.

what im trying to say is, make sure you choose a good insurance, because its likely that it will be your destination (a reality i have come to, as i am also in your position). which is why im saying make sure you are 100% happy with exeter over arguably better, but lower grade requirement universities such as birmingham/york/southampton.
    Fair enough, I have been considering Southampton for a while actually, it's just a shame that I couldn't make the Open Day. Don't forget: Bristol offer AAA-AAB, so with predictions of A*AA (/AAA) I have a reasonable chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAJC)
    Fair enough, I have been considering Southampton for a while actually, it's just a shame that I couldn't make the Open Day. Don't forget: Bristol offer AAA-AAB, so with predictions of A*AA (/AAA) I have a reasonable chance.
    yeah southampton is a good university, i went to the open day, and it will be taking a spot in my top 5.

dont be fooled by the entry requirements, bristol is arguably the most competitive uni on your list, with only 40 places with around 1000 applicants. this year many people who were accepted to oxbridge/lse were rejected from bristol. at the open day i was told i have very little chance (i have 4A's at AS) and was advised to apply to one of the variant courses e.g. econ and finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    yeah southampton is a good university, i went to the open day, and it will be taking a spot in my top 5.

dont be fooled by the entry requirements, bristol is arguably the most competitive uni on your list, with only 40 places with around 1000 applicants. this year many people who were accepted to oxbridge/lse were rejected from bristol. at the open day i was told i have very little chance (i have 4A's at AS) and was advised to apply to one of the variant courses e.g. econ and finance.
    Yeah, I am considering applying for Economics and Finance/Accouting. But the subjects that you achieve the grades will also be taken into consideration as well, so traditional subjects will be regarded more highly. I have Physics, Maths and Economics, which is a good combination. By the way, their website says that they had 557 applicants for 25 places, so that's about 22 applicants per place. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...103/admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)

Did they explain why you have a very little chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAJC)
    Yeah, I am considering applying for Economics and Finance/Accouting. But the subjects that you achieve the grades will also be taken into consideration as well, so traditional subjects will be regarded more highly. I have Physics, Maths and Economics, which is a good combination. By the way, their website says that they had 557 applicants for 25 places, so that's about 22 applicants per place. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...103/admissions
    yeah but you have to remember, most people have traditional subjects who are applying to these unis, and alot of 4/5 a levels instead of 3. yep, sorry i was quoting the figures for straight economcs not econ & finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    Did they explain why you have a very little chance?
    yeah, i asked how significant gcses were in the process. she said that economics is one of bristols most competitive degrees so the whole application was crucial. therefore im assuming my gcses will be my downfall if i was to apply for bristol straight econ

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say though that GCSE's are as crucial as A level results, although they do have to compare something when dealing with students with similar criteria. Don't rule out your chances purely on the grounds of GCSE's, try to be a bit optimistic even if it means straying from being completely realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    yeah, i asked how significant gcses were in the process. she said that economics is one of bristols most competitive degrees so the whole application was crucial. therefore im assuming my gcses will be my downfall if i was to apply for bristol straight econ
    Oh, I see. I'm applying to Bristol as well and I don't have particularly good GCSEs. I've heard they are a holist university so they should take all aspects of your application into account (I really hope this is true).

Good luck with your application.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.