Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Why do you want to be in London so much?
    (If it is becuase it is a big city then so is Bristol).
    I just really love london, and also looking ahead i would like to work in the city hopefully in a bank, so going to either LSE/UCL would really help me along the way.
    I visited Bristol and i didnt really like it, cant really put my finger on it but i dont want to apply their.

Thanks for the advice and i agree with you, but i still cant understand how Exeter is so high up the tables overall and for economics.

Also which university do think an employer would rate better Exeter or Bath?

ReputationRep:
    bath, by far

ReputationRep:
    Outside the top 11 I don't think the issue will be getting offers. More the issue will be what grades do you think you actually achieve. i.e. need to think about what kind of grade unis you want for firm and insurance.
    umm.. i dont quite get this firm and insurance thing ... although i think i will manage an A (accounts), A (economics), B(math),B (geography)...

additionally, are you really sure about it being comparatively easy to get an offer from the mentioned universities because all the people writting in forums seem to be getting AMAZING scores and are applying to Exeter !!!( i really want to go there!)..

ReputationRep:
    If anybody could let me know about whether I'm making a mistake with my university choices?
    Just put into UCAS for Economics & Politics:
    Exeter
    York
    Southampton
    Birmingham
    Queen Mary
    with only BBBC at AS! (could be AABC with remarks )
    Predictions: AAA

ReputationRep:
    Paul, I've already decided on my final choices (with your help) but looking around the other threads I'm starting to get a little worried about my chances.

My GCSE Results are 7As and 4Bs and I'm being predicted an A* in Maths, A in Psychology (maybe A*), an A in Sociology and a B in Physics. I'll be applying for Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester and Leeds with the latter two being my insurance choices.
    What do you think my chances are of getting offers from any of the first three Unis are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Magnificent KoloToure)
    Paul, I've already decided on my final choices (with your help) but looking around the other threads I'm starting to get a little worried about my chances.

My GCSE Results are 7As and 4Bs and I'm being predicted an A* in Maths, A in Psychology (maybe A*), an A in Sociology and a B in Physics. I'll be applying for Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester and Leeds with the latter two being my insurance choices.
    What do you think my chances are of getting offers from any of the first three Unis are?
    Everywhere I've read, Notts is looking at like 7A*'s GCSE now..
    and Warwick is extremely competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Everywhere I've read, Notts is looking at like 7A*'s GCSE now..
    that was only for last cycle. me and others have had emails saying that the "A* filter" isnt gonna happen this year and that no offers will be given till after the jan deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    that was only for last cycle. me and others have had emails saying that the "A* filter" isnt gonna happen this year and that no offers will be given till after the jan deadline.
    Are you serious?
    So whats the standard offer this year? AAA?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

And he's right about the GCSEs. I asked them the same thing after conflicting stories on here.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious?
    So whats the standard offer this year? AAA?
    AAA or AABB i think

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i really need ur help.. why should i study econs over Acc and Fin? What convincing reasons should i give to the tutors to request for a course change? Please help, i will really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    If anybody could let me know about whether I'm making a mistake with my university choices?
    Exeter
    York
    Southampton
    Birmingham
    Queen Mary
    HEY! im in a similar situation!... i also got BBBC in AS.. im applying to

Exeter
    Leicester
    Leeds
    Liverpool
    Sheffield

i really want to apply to Bristol, but chances seem bleak , so im really scared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AY.25)
    umm.. i dont quite get this firm and insurance thing ... although i think i will manage an A (accounts), A (economics), B(math),B (geography)...

additionally, are you really sure about it being comparatively easy to get an offer from the mentioned universities because all the people writting in forums seem to be getting AMAZING scores and are applying to Exeter !!!( i really want to go there!)..
    Start your own thread: you are worth it.

Exeter
    York
    Southampton
    Birmingham
    Queen Mary
    Start your own thread: you are also worth it.
    But the key thing is what your 5 unis said when you emailed them to ask them what your chances were.

It would have made more sense for you to carry on posting in your previous thread...
    But I think your chances in your first 3 are low (e.g. no GCSE A*S, No economics). And you have underapplied with your last 2: you could get offers 'easily' at the unis at the top of the 2nd TAELT 2010 post. e.g. Birmingham, Southampton, York.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    just finalising my form at the moment and need a little bit of advice!
    I think i have decided on 4 of my 5 choices: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Nottingham with my last choice between Manchester, Leeds, York and Southampton.
    At GCSE i got 8A* and 3A and at AS level i got 3A's in Maths, Physics and Economics with a B in German. I have completed my German A Level and got a B and this year i am carrying on Maths, Physics and Economics while also taking 3 extra maths modules to get an extra maths AS level.
    What do you think my chances are at getting offers from the 4 unis i mentioned or would it be better to only choose 3 from Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Nottingham then 2 from my second list?
    Thanks any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Nah your results are def good enough to apply for those 4 with one backup.

ReputationRep:
    It would have made more sense for you to carry on posting in your previous thread...
    But I think your chances in your first 3 are low (e.g. no GCSE A*S, No economics). And you have underapplied with your last 2: you could get offers 'easily' at the unis at the top of the 2nd TAELT 2010 post. e.g. Birmingham, Southampton, York.
    Thanks. I might switch Warwick for York then, although I wont give up on Bristol and Nottingham.

The reason I haven't mentioned Birmingham and Southampton is I don't like the cities very much while Manchester and Leeds are still good Unis in great cities.

ReputationRep:
    Or I might apply for one of the other courses at Bristol/Nottingham (Economics and International Economics/ Economics and Politics). Both subjects are briefly mentioned on my personal statement already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytim)
    Hi,
    just finalising my form at the moment and need a little bit of advice!
    I think i have decided on 4 of my 5 choices: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Nottingham with my last choice between Manchester, Leeds, York and Southampton.
    At GCSE i got 8A* and 3A and at AS level i got 3A's in Maths, Physics and Economics with a B in German. I have completed my German A Level and got a B and this year i am carrying on Maths, Physics and Economics while also taking 3 extra maths modules to get an extra maths AS level.
    What do you think my chances are at getting offers from the 4 unis i mentioned or would it be better to only choose 3 from Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Nottingham then 2 from my second list?
    Thanks any help would be appreciated!
    Start your own thread you are worth it.
    (Do you know which out of your 2nd list is your fav?)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I might switch Warwick for York then, although I wont give up on Bristol and Nottingham.

The reason I haven't mentioned Birmingham and Southampton is I don't like the cities very much while Manchester and Leeds are still good Unis in great cities.
    York would be a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Need your help! are these unis okay? or am i aming too high.

GCSE: A*AABBBCCDD (DD in science)
    For AS level: ABBC after retakes AAAC
    A level: psychology, sociology and economics.
    Predicted: AAB - aiming for AAA

Universities I want to apply to:
    SOAS
    Royal Holloway
    City
    Goldsmiths
    Richmond university of London

will i get offers from SOAS and royal holloway or are they too high?
    I can’t really take a gap year, because I didn’t do that well in my first year of college do to personal problems and this affected my grades very badly. so I decided to retake the year.
    I really want to do economics, as that’s the subject I enjoy the most and I know it’s the right for me. I will have to make my personal statement “perfect” and I don’t have AS/A level maths.

Please can you be honest, what are my chances?
    Thank you sooo much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.