The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
bubblegum1992
Need your help! are these unis okay? or am i aming too high.

GCSE: A*AABBBCCDD (DD in science)
For AS level: ABBC after retakes AAAC
A level: psychology, sociology and economics.
Predicted: AAB - aiming for AAA

Universities I want to apply to:
SOAS
Royal Holloway
City
Goldsmiths
Richmond university of London

will i get offers from SOAS and royal holloway or are they too high?
I can’t really take a gap year, because I didn’t do that well in my first year of college do to personal problems and this affected my grades very badly. so I decided to retake the year.
I really want to do economics, as that’s the subject I enjoy the most and I know it’s the right for me. I will have to make my personal statement “perfect” and I don’t have AS/A level maths.

Please can you be honest, what are my chances?
Thank you sooo much

Start your own thread: you are worth it. :biggrin:
some people get like BBBC at AS and then get predicted AAA whereas at my school which you need an A to get an A prediction and a high A for A* doesnt that disadvantage us when people with straight B's at AS get straight A's predictions
Reply 682
username93
some people get like BBBC at AS and then get predicted AAA whereas at my school which you need an A to get an A prediction and a high A for A* doesnt that disadvantage us when people with straight B's at AS get straight A's predictions

Universities will also be able to see your AS grades if they are cashed in. Plus if someone got a B at AS it doesn't necessarily mean they are not likely to get an A at A2; the B grade may have been circumstancial, you never know.
Reply 683
username93

:hmmm: I'm predicted (should be) AAA even though I got ABBC.
well thats what i mean thought mind you was it a high B
username93

Universities differentiate schools which have a tendency to inflate grades and ones that assess the student's potential at an adequate level. No worries :smile:
Reply 686
username93

Well declare your AS grades in your UCAS application and then unis will be able to see that your A2 predictions are grounded.
Reply 687
umm..this might sound really random but im new on this site so im a little lost...
how does a person start their own thread??? !!
Reply 688
AY.25
umm..this might sound really random but im new on this site so im a little lost...
how does a person start their own thread??? !!

Fair enough. :smile:

There is a big orange 'Create New Thread' button just under the Economics heading in the Economic forum.
Reply 689
AS Grades are an A in Maths, History, Psychology and a B in Economics (very suprising for me but got an A in one module and a C in the other so will retake and hopefully get upto an A, but apparently only 9 people got an A at my college in Economics so something must have gone wrong there)

My A2 predicted grades in Maths, Economics and History are AAA and am also predicted an A in AS level further maths. Am also doing EPQ which I will hopefully get at least an A in. My college isn't predicted A* for anyone unless they are applying medicine or Oxbridge, this wouldn't disadvantage me against people with an A* prediction will it?

My GCSE are poor for the uni's I'm applying for and I know this, but I have drastically improved so wouldn't want that stopping me from going to a decent uni. My GCSE's are 1 A*, 4 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's

Want to apply for straight economics at......

UCL
Warwick
Bath
Bristol
Surrey

Good choices?

What do you reckon my chances are of getting an offer from any of the top four also?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Deshi
My college isn't predicted A* for anyone unless they are applying medicine or Oxbridge, this wouldn't disadvantage me against people with an A* prediction will it?

[...]

UCL

You do realise that UCL offer for Economics is A*AA (A* in Maths)? A girl from my college phoned them and they said they will be very strict about that, so people who won't be predicted A* in Maths might be significantly disadvantaged. Just saying.
Reply 691
goldsilvy
You do realise that UCL offer for Economics is A*AA (A* in Maths)? A girl from my college phoned them and they said they will be very strict about that, so people who won't be predicted A* in Maths might be significantly disadvantaged. Just saying.

Yeah I know thats there offer. But they surely can't reject me just because I haven't got an A * prediction considering my school isn't giving them out unless your applying for medicine or oxbridge.
Deshi
Yeah I know thats there offer. But they surely can't reject me just because I haven't got an A * prediction considering my school isn't giving them out unless your applying for medicine or oxbridge.

Remember to tell your referee to mention that in your reference.
i have 4A*'s6A's and 1 B at gcse paullwhy keeps telling me this is too low to apply for unis like bristol bath etc even though i have straight A's at AS in maths economics history and german
Reply 694
Paulwhy
Fair enough. :smile:

There is a big orange 'Create New Thread' button just under the Economics heading in the Economic forum.

thank u . i started my own thread :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21627451#post21627451
Reply 695
username93
i have 4A*'s6A's and 1 B at gcse paullwhy keeps telling me this is too low to apply for unis like bristol bath etc even though i have straight A's at AS in maths economics history and german

Where and when?
i.e. I don't believe I have said that once.
and it is certainly not my view.
Reply 696
Deshi
AS Grades are an A in Maths, History, Psychology and a B in Economics (very suprising for me but got an A in one module and a C in the other so will retake and hopefully get upto an A, but apparently only 9 people got an A at my college in Economics so something must have gone wrong there)

My A2 predicted grades in Maths, Economics and History are AAA and am also predicted an A in AS level further maths. Am also doing EPQ which I will hopefully get at least an A in. My college isn't predicted A* for anyone unless they are applying medicine or Oxbridge, this wouldn't disadvantage me against people with an A* prediction will it?

My GCSE are poor for the uni's I'm applying for and I know this, but I have drastically improved so wouldn't want that stopping me from going to a decent uni. My GCSE's are 1 A*, 4 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's

Want to apply for straight economics at......

UCL
Warwick
Bath
Bristol
Surrey

Good choices?

What do you reckon my chances are of getting an offer from any of the top four also?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Start your own thread you are worth it. :biggrin:
Reply 697
Hey,
I need to make up my mind about applying to Oxbridge, please help me out.
Fact file-
GCSE's- 4a*s 3a's phy math chem business; eng, IT, sociology
AS levels- 4 a's- math econ psychology phy
A lvl predicted- AAA math econ phy

Uni choices-
1. oxbridge
2. LSE
3. Warwick (MORSE)
4. UCL
5. Cass Business school

do you think I'm being unreasonable with my choices?
esp. since I'm an international student and competiton for us is unusually stiff.

also, i've decided to take up as lvl further math, which means I'll be doing 6 modules by the end up this academic year! although it isn't a requirement, it's still recommended (esp since i want to do a course that combines math and econ) I'm worried about that though because math isn't my forte!
Also, I'm scared I might mess up my other two subjects (phy and econ) if I dedicate most of my time to math- which will be inevitable if i do take FM up. Any suggestions? should i drop the idea of FM all together and just concentrate on getting AAA for a lvls?

thanks in advance!
Reply 698
zomgleh
Hey,
I need to make up my mind about applying to Oxbridge, please help me out.
Fact file-
GCSE's- 4a*s 3a's phy math chem business; eng, IT, sociology
AS levels- 4 a's- math econ psychology phy
A lvl predicted- AAA math econ phy

Uni choices-
1. oxbridge
2. LSE
3. Warwick (MORSE)
4. UCL
5. Cass Business school

do you think I'm being unreasonable with my choices?
esp. since I'm an international student and competiton for us is unusually stiff.

also, i've decided to take up AS level further math, which means I'll be doing 6 modules by the end up this academic year! although it isn't a requirement, it's still recommended (esp since i want to do a course that combines math and econ) I'm worried about that though because math isn't my forte!
Also, I'm scared I might mess up my other two subjects (phy and econ) if I dedicate most of my time to math- which will be inevitable if i do take FM up. Any suggestions? should i drop the idea of FM all together and just concentrate on getting AAA for a lvls?

thanks in advance!

I have answeared you in your personal thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21638599#post21638599
Reply 699
Paulwhy
Start your own thread you are worth it. :biggrin:

Started one:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1054449

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending