Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zvv)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in y12 and yes my school does offer further maths but at the time i was leaning more to do a science course so chose chemistry instead. And no they do not offer economics just business and economics, this was the first year i have ever studied economics and the first time i considered doing it in uni. So that's why i didn't bother with further maths.
    Bit tricky situation you have in there.

If you really do intend to apply for Economics-related course at top universities, then I would strongly advise you to take Furthers Maths, at least AS.

But first of all, focus on your AS exams. They are more important than your A2, as the results you obtain from them will be used in your application. Many people from my year didn't know what they want to apply for in even as late as September, so you still have a fair amount of time to think over (carefully).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What are this years applicants going to do without Paulwhy? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics and economics in my first year. In January (for which I have received module scores of 100,92 and 85 in C1, S1 and Econ 1 respectively) I began thinking about applying to do economics at Cambridge.

Was going to retake my 85 as was disappointing compared with mock result, but didn't because Cambridge like to know if you've retaken etc

Will this deter me of a place?

My GCSE profile is fairly strong with 10A*s and 4As
    Thats about it really.

Oh I read absolutely nothing to do with any of my subjects- never wanted to, never needed to etc is this bad, do you actually need to read lots or is this just some rubbishy tactic employed by the unis to try and separate students who are lazy/ hard etc if you get me

Typing fast here, bad grammar etc dont pick me up on this I do realise no snide comments like "you wont get in if you cant spell" etc, just do I have a shot, if not, why not etc. Also sorry if this is the wrong thread my first time on here just wanted some advice (preferably from someone who got in/ rejected though this is unlikely).

I do love economics btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by br2612)
    I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics and economics in my first year. In January (for which I have received module scores of 100,92 and 85 in C1, S1 and Econ 1 respectively) I began thinking about applying to do economics at Cambridge.

Was going to retake my 85 as was disappointing compared with mock result, but didn't because Cambridge like to know if you've retaken etc

Will this deter me of a place?

My GCSE profile is fairly strong with 10A*s and 4As
    Thats about it really.

Oh I read absolutely nothing to do with any of my subjects- never wanted to, never needed to etc is this bad, do you actually need to read lots or is this just some rubbishy tactic employed by the unis to try and separate students who are lazy/ hard etc if you get me

Typing fast here, bad grammar etc dont pick me up on this I do realise no snide comments like "you wont get in if you cant spell" etc, just do I have a shot, if not, why not etc. Also sorry if this is the wrong thread my first time on here just wanted some advice (preferably from someone who got in/ rejected though this is unlikely).

I do love economics btw.
    If you avg 90 UMS + avg in min 3 subjects (may even A* in Maths) before you apply - your is no less than any other

ReputationRep:
    Hey people im new to the forum.

I dont know whether to make a new topic so i joined this one !!

Basically, i have a problem.. IM predicted AABB at as level. Econ, Bio, maths and Philosophy + ethics.
    Im dropping RS so my a level predictions will be AAB. My problem is firstly is a sandwich year in BSc economics worth the year or should i take a straight BSc in economics ?

Secondly, which unis should i apply for ? I live in east anglia so the max i would go is about 120 miles so say 3 hours... At the min im thinking of surrey, city, queens mary, leicester, and UEA. My GCSE'S are 8A'S and 3B'S.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I have my heart set on LSE, but I think I might give Cambridge a go too. So my question:

Will applying to Cambridge effect my chances of getting into LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandaboo)
    I have my heart set on LSE, but I think I might give Cambridge a go too. So my question:

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandaboo)

Well, you will have less time to work on your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    What about doing an A-level in a foreign language if it is my mother tongue?
    The top 10 unis will give you little/no credit.
    I can confirm that this is true for UCL and University of Birmingham; however, here's a part of an e-mail to Cambridge Admissions Office:

"A Level French is likely to be considered as an acceptable A Level if you speak French fluently."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    I can confirm that this is true for UCL and University of Birmingham; however, here's a part of an e-mail to Cambridge Admissions Office:

"A Level French is likely to be considered as an acceptable A Level if you speak French fluently."
    i)Do you mean to or from?
    ii)Speaking Fluently is not the same as mother tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    i)Do you mean to or from?
    ii)Speaking Fluently is not the same as mother tongue.
    i) Apologies, I intended to include the 'to' and 'from' parts but decided not to bore you

ii) Again, sorry about that - I didn't know the difference between the two! Well I guess I learned something... So would that mean that most Universities will consider my French A-Level like any other A-Level despite the fact that I am fluent?

Thanks in advance and great guide by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    i) Apologies, I intended to include the 'to' and 'from' parts but decided not to bore you

ii) Again, sorry about that - I didn't know the difference between the two! Well I guess I learned something... So would that mean that most Universities will consider my French A-Level like any other A-Level despite the fact that I am fluent?

Thanks in advance and great guide by the way!
    Well the distinction between fluent and mother tongue I was making was:
    i)Mother Language: learnt at home esp. French speaking parent. Hence child Bi-lingual from birth
    ii)Fluent. learnt outside home. e.g. in French school. Hence opportunity cost in other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Ok seeing as I now have my results and Paulwhy has turned up again (welcome back), I'd like some help regarding Economics:

ResultsAS) Maths (A) 293/300, Further Maths (A) 271/300 Economics (A) 181/200 Physics (A) 264/300

I'm planning on taking all four to A2 seeing as LSE see Maths Further and Economics as too narrow for Economics. GCSE's were 2A* 7A with issues during GCSE's. Looking at LSE, Warwick, probably Cambridge but not sure on the last 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    Ok seeing as I now have my results and Paulwhy has turned up again (welcome back), I'd like some help regarding Economics:

Results: (AS) Maths (a) 293/300, Further Maths (a) 271/300 Economics (a) 181/200 Physics (a) 264/300

I'm planning on taking all four to A2 seeing as LSE see Maths Further and Economics as too narrow for Economics. GCSE's were 2A* 7A with issues during GCSE's. Looking at LSE, Warwick, probably Cambridge but not sure on the last 2.
    Please start your own thread: you are worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, whats the difference between economics with maths and doing maths with economics as a course??

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I need some advice.
    I'm doing Further Maths, Economics, and Law at A-level, predicted A* in each, I also have Accounting at AS 98%
    The problem is, at IGCSE I got a B in Maths, it was a long time ago) Will unis use this to reject, taking into account I am doing Further and predicted an A*?
    I only have 6 IGCSE's, 4 at A*, 1 a A, and maths at B, but I was attending a really **** school where I couldn't get more. This will probably be mentioned in my reference.
    Should I apply to top 5 unis? Currently I am thinking of the combination - UCL, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham and Southampton.
    Really need some help!
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philippat)
    hey guys, I need some advice.
    I'm doing Further Maths, Economics, and Law at A-level, predicted A* in each, I also have Accounting at AS 98%
    The problem is, at IGCSE I got a B in Maths, it was a long time ago) Will unis use this to reject, taking into account I am doing Further and predicted an A*?
    I only have 6 IGCSE's, 4 at A*, 1 a A, and maths at B, but I was attending a really **** school where I couldn't get more. This will probably be mentioned in my reference.
    Should I apply to top 5 unis? Currently I am thinking of the combination - UCL, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham and Southampton.
    Really need some help!
    Thanks in advance
    You should be fine, you choices seem appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm having a bit of trouble selecting universities. I want to do a BSc in Economics.
    I have 6 A*s and 2 As at GCSEs. Plus Economics (A*) and Accounting A at A-level. This year, I'm doing Business Studies and Math at A-Level.
    The problem is that my school doesn't offer many A-Levels and I'm absolutely terrified that universities will look at my A-level subjects as a basis of rejection.
    I was thinking of applying to Nottingham but I suppose with their 8A* requirement, I'll strike that off.
    So far, the universities on my list are Edinburgh (Could you please explain what the MA is-will I get a BSc qualification?), Bristol, Bath and thinking either York, Birmingham or Southampton. Are these good and realistic options for me? Could someone propose a combination?
    I'm just really stressed out.

ReputationRep:
    im in A2 and have shortlisted my universities for economics as follows :LSE, UCL, durham, bristol, st.andrews .is this a good combo?
    i had 7A's and a B in my GCSE olevel,did not give any AS(school policy) and my math is very strong(i got 97% in my last test) and hopefully will get an A in eco and business studies..

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Economics, Physics and History. The guide says a good combo is Maths, Economics, Further Maths, an essay subject and a science. I have got Maths and Economics, Physics for a science and History for an essay subject so am I at jeopardy from studying at a good uni like Birmingham or Nottingham since I didn't pick Further Maths?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.