Turn on thread page Beta

Will Scotland break away from the UK eventually? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I was thinking about this earlier. With the rise in support for the SNP, the fact that Scotland now has many of its Laws ( which are diffrent from other parts of the UK) Passed by its Scottish parliament ( who also have taxation powers) Its own system of law though it is somewhat similar to English and Welsh law. Im sure there is other things which point to likely independence. Could the Scots in theory not leave the UK, as when it was created it was said it would be a union forever. Anyone what do you guys think. Do you think it will never happen, it will happen very soon, or it will happen but not for awhile.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i don't think so, although i do believe the scot parliament will get more power. if they did break-away they would have to rely too much on the EU -and the EU is not too popular up there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMat18)
    So I was thinking about this earlier. With the rise in support for the SNP, the fact that Scotland now has many of its Laws ( which are diffrent from other parts of the UK) Passed by its Scottish parliament ( who also have taxation powers) Its own system of law though it is somewhat similar to English and Welsh law. Im sure there is other things which point to likely independence. Could the Scots in theory not leave the UK, as when it was created it was said it would be a union forever. Anyone what do you guys think. Do you think it will never happen, it will happen very soon, or it will happen but not for awhile.

Thanks
    Trust me the majority of Scots are not in favour of a split.

It's just sensationalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    Trust me the majority of Scots are not in favour of a split.

It's just sensationalism.
    Ah right you would know alot better than me, do the SNP actively press for independence, or is it merely something in the background?

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a Scotsman, I don't see this happening in my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    I believe not, thankfully for us all.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland has always had a different legal system.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope not!

I'll apply for Russian citizenship if this happens :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Ah right you would know alot better than me, do the SNP actively press for independence, or is it merely something in the background?
    No, its very much an active policy/goal for the SNP(minority administration) but certainly doesn't represent the views of the majority.

Mr Salmond can orate to his heart's content but it's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    Lets hope not!

I'll apply for Russian citizenship if this happens :ninja:
    haah why Russia?

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Also, Scots law has been in practise for many a year!

ReputationRep:
    So I was thinking about this earlier. With the rise in support for the SNP
    Support for the SNP does not equal support for Scottish independence.

the fact that Scotland now has many of its Laws ( which are diffrent from other parts of the UK) Passed by its Scottish parliament ( who also have taxation powers)
    Scotland always has had a separate legal system. Being able to recognise that legislatively - and thus spend actual time reforming the incredibly antiquated parts of Scots Law (something the UK Parliament never had) I actually think that's one of the positive parts of devolution, despite my more general objection to it.

Could the Scots in theory not leave the UK, as when it was created it was said it would be a union forever.
    The Scots couldn't do it, but we have created one united parliament in London, which would have to be the ones who either gave Scotland independence or did not. The Scottish Parliament certainly couldn't do it.

Yes, the Act of Union said 'for ever' and yes there is some recognition in our law that parliament may not be able to repeal certain 'entrenched' parts of the Act of Union - but as a matter of realpolitik, I don't see any court overturning an Act of the UK Parliament which gave Scotland independence.

ReputationRep:
    haah why Russia?
    No reason, but with the country literally fragmenting why not? xD :p: It can recognise my house as a independent nation!

ReputationRep:
    They do - which rather annoys me: I'd say most of their voters are at best lukewarm to the idea, yet they are using their position as the Scottish Executive as a soapbox for the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Support for the SNP does not equal support for Scottish independence.

Scotland always has had a separate legal system. Being able to recognise that legislatively - and thus spend actual time reforming the incredibly antiquated parts of Scots Law (something the UK Parliament never had) I actually think that's one of the positive parts of devolution, despite my more general objection to it.

The Scots couldn't do it, but we have created one united parliament in London, which would have to be the ones who either gave Scotland independence or did not. The Scottish Parliament certainly couldn't do it.

Yes, the Act of Union said 'for ever' and yes there is some recognition in our law that parliament may not be able to repeal certain 'entrenched' parts of the Act of Union - but as a matter of realpolitik, I don't see any court overturning an Act of the UK Parliament which gave Scotland independence.
    You know you're stuff thanks.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    To keep it short but sweet, No they wont!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    They do - which rather annoys me: I'd say most of their voters are at best lukewarm to the idea, yet they are using their position as the Scottish Executive as a soapbox for the issue.
    So from what you said before, even though the SNP are the executive at the moment, and properly for awhile, they can't do anythig to get independence anyway? Thats gr8 news! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    It'lll never happen. Ignore the rantings of the fat faced oik named Alex Salmond. He's just blowing steam.

As much as I like Sir Connery, his views on this are just as bad. He needs to shut up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't see any court overturning an Act of the UK Parliament which gave Scotland independence.
    That would be quite funny, some random judge going "ahem, no." :p:

ReputationRep:
    Scotland would be broke...
    They would need shred loads of the EU...

And i hope the EU wouldnt give them anything...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.