Personal Statement for Masters Degree - Word Count?

Watch
EllaKNotts
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all, I'm applying for a Masters in Building Surveying at Nottingham Trent and the maximum word count for the box is 4000 words which seems quite a lot to me. Prospects suggests 500 words, which doesn't seem like enough to be honest. Are they expecting close to 4000 words?
TiffSlade
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In this case, it often depends on what you have to say. Write a clear and concise statement about everything they need to know about you including your experience and why you want to do that course and at that university and what you hope to bring to the course. It varies from person to person. Personally to cover my experience and why I wanted to do the course I wrote a solid page and a half initially and then edited it down a bit to be more concise but the simple answer is don't waffle on to get more words and don't cut yourself short to use fewer words. Stop writing when it feels natural and you have clearly expressed what they need to know. Your course is likely to also give advice on what they would like you to tell them and ensure you answer this.

I hope this helps if you have any further questions feel free to ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.67%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.02%
Look for a job (19)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.05%
Take a year out (96)
17.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.08%

Watched Threads