The Student Room Group
i would imagine chemistry, just because you would be looking at reactions with materials and such, which could come useful when dealing with the world around us.

my friend who is hoping to do geography at cambridge does chemistry, german, biology and geography.
Reply 2
I'm in the same position! I'm taking English Lit' Maths Chemistry and Geography.

I'm just wondering if the lack of biology is a MASSIVE dissadvantage?

EDIT- I'm not certain that I wasnt to read Geography, so I want to keep my options open.
Either will be quite useful, chemistry maybe slightly more so.
Reply 4
Am in a similar predicament as you. Have just done my AS, and want to do Geography BSc at Uni, but don't know whether to drop Chem or Maths.

Which are you better at?
Reply 5
Which do you think you'll choose?
Reply 6
I only got A (additional) B (normal math) and B (stats) at GCSE, and Im crapping myself concerning AS math :biggrin:
Reply 7
I'd imagine chemistry would be slightly more useful because you learn about environmental issues which link in with geography, but take whichever you enjoy most/are best at.
Reply 8
Antithesis
Which do you think you'll choose?

If that was aimed at me, probably going to take maths, as I need less marks meaning 79% rather than 90% for chem) to get an A overall.
Though after starting C3 today i'm regretting that decision....
I would say chemistry as there are more similarities in the two. if the university doesnt specify then do whatever you like and will do best in.
Reply 10
Either one is fine. To be frank, only geology or env. sci. would truly help you in a physical geography degree. A lot of the physical, chemical and biological processes covered in physical geography don't require understanding of deeper A-level material.

Maths could prepare you better for any statistics or GIS you'll run into. I think the main benefit of chemistry would simply be that it's more scientific and will better prepare you for labs and help you scientifically approach problems.
Reply 11
As you are already taking biology (a natural science) I would suggest maths. However, both are very good choices...

Latest