Annie.k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,I’m taking the autumn exam series in a levels so my exams will be in October time but I don’t know exact dates yet.I haven’t done ANY revision during quarantine, and by any I mean like I haven’t opened my text book once. I’ve just been wasting time and I really regret it now. I take a level biology, chemistry and English literature. Do you think I can still do well in these a levels given I only have 2 months to cover content AND do past papers etc? Especially organic chem 🥴 it’s such a nightmare and i don’t know how I’ll cover it all ( Please be honest ! ( I’m thinking the most I can hope for is a C)
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
5th - 23rd October. I dont think you can cover all of the content but I think you do well if you focus on your weakness. Good luck :rave:
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wait so lemme get this straight, have you not done any revision before quarantine? i'm assuming you're going to a school or college so surely you'll have learnt at least some of the content before lockdown measures were put in place. and if you had mocks, i assume you did revision for those??
start revising now and put a plan in place. english literature'll be difficult to do in a short time period because there's so many texts and you need to be doing lots of exam practice.
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m the same with chemistry. I got an A in paper 1 mock in February, but I’ve hardly done any work during quarantine and my organic was never very strong. I was hoping for an A*, but now I have loads of work to do if I actually want to get that in the exam in October. Hopefully it’s the only subject I’m taking the exam for though.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 4 weeks ago
Medwizard
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I’m sure you remember more of the content then you think
You have done it for a year and a half after all. Trust me it will come back easily.
I would start with past papers and find weak areas to target.
Also I think October exam boundaries will be lower since most will start revising after results day.
You’re already a step ahead of the game by starting now.
I watched tailored tutors most recent video and I think they said something about unis being more lenient about our calculated grades.

Hope I helped!
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Annie.k)
Hey,I’m taking the autumn exam series in a levels so my exams will be in October time but I don’t know exact dates yet.I haven’t done ANY revision during quarantine, and by any I mean like I haven’t opened my text book once. I’ve just been wasting time and I really regret it now. I take a level biology, chemistry and English literature. Do you think I can still do well in these a levels given I only have 2 months to cover content AND do past papers etc? Especially organic chem 🥴 it’s such a nightmare and i don’t know how I’ll cover it all ( Please be honest ! ( I’m thinking the most I can hope for is a C)
It's actually nearly three months ... longer than you would have had to revise from March to the cancelled exams. It's up to you - start by doing a past paper to see how much you've retained and work from there.

Are you assuming the calculated grades won;t be what you want?
Annie.k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medwizard)
Hi,

I’m sure you remember more of the content then you think
You have done it for a year and a half after all. Trust me it will come back easily.
I would start with past papers and find weak areas to target.
Also I think October exam boundaries will be lower since most will start revising after results day.
You’re already a step ahead of the game by starting now.
I watched tailored tutors most recent video and I think they said something about unis being more lenient about our calculated grades.

Hope I helped!
So are most people only going to decide to take exams once they get their grades? I sort of have no other choice.
And yes hopefully it comes back easier, I just need to get into the rhythm of studying again.
Thank you so much for your help
Annie.k
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
wait so lemme get this straight, have you not done any revision before quarantine? i'm assuming you're going to a school or college so surely you'll have learnt at least some of the content before lockdown measures were put in place. and if you had mocks, i assume you did revision for those??
start revising now and put a plan in place. english literature'll be difficult to do in a short time period because there's so many texts and you need to be doing lots of exam practice.
I did some revision but not a lot, since I was a private candidate I didn’t have mocks.
I’m familiar with physical chemistry but I’m going to have to teach myself all of organic chemistry in two months
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did some revision but not a lot, since I was a private candidate I didn’t have mocks.
I’m familiar with physical chemistry but I’m going to have to teach myself all of organic chemistry in two months
oh, i see. you'll probably find you know more than you realise but i'd definitely start revision and learning now if you haven't already. use the app adapt to organise a revision timetable- it does all the hard work for you all you need to do is put in your subjects and exam board and exam dates. clear out your study space so you've only got the things you need on there and organise your notes if you haven't already.
Last edited by absolutelysprout; 4 weeks ago
Annie.k
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
oh, i see. you'll probably find you know more than you realise but i'd definitely start revision and learning now if you haven't already. use the app adapt to organise a revision timetable- it does all the hard work for you all you need to do is put in your subjects and exam board and exam dates. clear out your study space so you've only got the things you need on there and organise your notes if you haven't already.
Thank you so much for the recommendation!
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for the recommendation!
no worries, best of luck with revision!
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you tried chemsheets? It’s about £12 for one year and you get access to booklets and powerpoints and worksheets for all of a-level chemistry (mostly AQA content) but it’s really good. You get the answers to everything as well and there’s footnotes to help you understand things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (264)
40.18%
Take autumn exams (197)
29.98%
Look for a job (22)
3.35%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.81%
Take a year out (110)
16.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.94%

Watched Threads