Returning to study Civil Engineering in my 20s - is it already too late for me?

Watch
dilligent_pear
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m returning to study Civil Engineering next year and am worried my age might be a problem when I graduate. Depending on what course I choose, I’ll either graduate aged 30 or 32. Would this be an issue when I enter the graduate job market as I’d be older with no experience?

My main goal is to hopefully get a degree level apprenticeship that would let me work with a company and earn a degree at the same time. Aside from Maths and Science qualifications, what else would make me stand out as a potential candidate for an entry level role like this? I have a degree in software development and 3 years experience working on major civil construction sites as a labourer but as I have over a year to improve my skills and qualifications, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what else could help me stand out above the rest as I hear they’re very competitive? I was thinking trying to teach myself the basics of how to use 3D CAD software or something similar like that but haven’t fully looked into it as I’m still swamped with maths work!

I guess I’m also looking for some encouragement or reassurance that I have little to worry about in the grand scheme of things as long as I keep working my ass off. I have a bit of negative mindset sometimes and am worried that it’s just too late to follow my dream and that I’ve already messed my life up irredeemably by getting the wrong a level subjects/results first time round as a teenager.

Final question: How much does the university matter as long as the degree is accredited by the ICE? I’m limited in choices because I’ll be studying part time and have read some negative reviews about the place I’m considering but as long as it’s accredited and I do well, does it really matter?

Thanks a lot to anyone who’s read this and any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Cheers
Becca216
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, many people go to uni in their late 20s/early 30s, so its never too late! The advantage of a degree apprenticeship is you get work experience while learning - which is crucial by the time you start looking for a job.

When it comes to finding a degree accreditation is crucial, if the degree is accredited then you will be fine. One thing to check is that the degree gives you most of the requirements that allow you to become a chartered engineer (most accredited degrees do but it is always worth a check). When it comes to engineering the actual university doesn't matter too much as quite often "lower ranked" unis are just as good as they offer more practical opportunities than some more traditional unis, which is important in an engineering degree.

Hope this helps
dilligent_pear
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Becca216)
Hi, many people go to uni in their late 20s/early 30s, so its never too late! The advantage of a degree apprenticeship is you get work experience while learning - which is crucial by the time you start looking for a job.

When it comes to finding a degree accreditation is crucial, if the degree is accredited then you will be fine. One thing to check is that the degree gives you most of the requirements that allow you to become a chartered engineer (most accredited degrees do but it is always worth a check). When it comes to engineering the actual university doesn't matter too much as quite often "lower ranked" unis are just as good as they offer more practical opportunities than some more traditional unis, which is important in an engineering degree.

Hope this helps
Yeah that’s a great reply really helpful

The degree is definitely accredited by the ICE so that’s nothing to worry about. Thanks again like I said, The apprenticeship is my goal but as they’re super competitive I’d obviously like a fall back option. Do you know any useful skills I could learn in the next year before I come to applying?

I already have a small list - extra programming work, learning 3D CAD software etc but am always looking for more I could be doing. Thanks
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dilligent_pear)
Yeah that’s a great reply really helpful

The degree is definitely accredited by the ICE so that’s nothing to worry about. Thanks again like I said, The apprenticeship is my goal but as they’re super competitive I’d obviously like a fall back option. Do you know any useful skills I could learn in the next year before I come to applying?

I already have a small list - extra programming work, learning 3D CAD software etc but am always looking for more I could be doing. Thanks
I just graduated at 29... And am starting my master now at 30...I even got invited for an internship interview last year at a big global insurance firm (but flopped lol). So i don't think age is that much of a factor tbh. We still both have over 38 yrs until retirement!

You will be fine, i would just advise you work on perfecting your CV, and thinking about learning to practice those awkard psychometric tests, and maths examines they send you during the selection process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (1)
6.67%
Better than expected (5)
33.33%
Worse than expected (9)
60%

Watched Threads