pineapplepink
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey! Thought I'd make a wee thread for 6th years on TSR to chat about all things S6-related... plans for after school, stuff happening at school, thoughts about leaving, what we're studying this year etc
Last edited by pineapplepink; 3 weeks ago
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, I’ll be going into s6 this year. I will be a depute house capt and probably a buddy/prefect for S1. After this year I’m hoping to do higher maths at college and then go to uni to do computer science.

Subjects I’m doing:
Higher computing science (at college)
Higher English
Higher Physics
Higher Spanish
National 5 Maths
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kubsyy)
Hello, I’ll be going into s6 this year. I will be a depute house capt and probably a buddy/prefect for S1. After this year I’m hoping to do higher maths at college and then go to uni to do computer science.

Subjects I’m doing:
Higher computing science (at college)
Higher English
Higher Physics
Higher Spanish
National 5 Maths
cool
How are you feeling about results day? :lol:
SchuylerSister22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I'm taking Advanced Higher French and I'm crashing Higher Modern Studies and Higher Admin, as well as doing Hospitality in College. I've also signed up for my school's Hospitality Team- which is planning and organising school events (which tbh probably won't even happen)
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
(Original post by SchuylerSister22)
Hi I'm taking Advanced Higher French and I'm crashing Higher Modern Studies and Higher Admin, as well as doing Hospitality in College. I've also signed up for my school's Hospitality Team- which is planning and organising school events (which tbh probably won't even happen)
bonjour!:lol:
the hospitality team sounds interesting- I imagine it'll be really good to talk about in your personal statement (even if the events don't happen)
What do you want to do when you leave?
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pineapplepink)
cool I'm doing AH English, French and Geography this year
How are you feeling about results day? :lol:
That’s nice, I wish I could do AH’s but can’t cause of my school... I feel nervous about the results day, I had mixed thoughts for example I thought that I’m gonna fail or still pass them but barely whereas I thought that I’m gonna pass them with a B or an A.
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
That’s nice, I wish I could do AH’s but can’t cause of my school... I feel nervous about the results day, I had mixed thoughts for example I thought that I’m gonna fail or still pass them but barely whereas I thought that I’m gonna pass them with a B or an A.
it seems that universities are only really interested in Highers in terms of entry requirements anyway.
you'll probably be fine- it is difficult to tell how things will turn out at the moment though. How did you do in your prelims?
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it seems that universities are only really interested in Highers in terms of entry requirements anyway.
you'll probably be fine- it is difficult to tell how things will turn out at the moment though. How did you do in your prelims?
Yeah, which is good.

In terms of prelims I’ve done quite badly:
Higher admin - fail
Higher Business - C
Higher English - fail (asked to move down to nat 5)
Nat 5 Spanish - A
Nat 5 Maths - no prelim for me as it is a 2 year course

For business my teacher was off for a month and we didn’t get taught anything and for admin it’s kinda the same but the prelim had mistakes (only 1 person passed with a C and nobody got a B or an A!!!)

Luckily we did higher admin SQA 2020 assignment just before the schools shut down so hopefully I did that good.
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Yeah, which is good.

In terms of prelims I’ve done quite badly:
Higher admin - fail
Higher Business - C
Higher English - fail (asked to move down to nat 5)
Nat 5 Spanish - A
Nat 5 Maths - no prelim for me as it is a 2 year course

For business my teacher was off for a month and we didn’t get taught anything and for admin it’s kinda the same but the prelim had mistakes (only 1 person passed with a C and nobody got a B or an A!!!)

Luckily we did higher admin SQA 2020 assignment just before the schools shut down so hopefully I did that good.
ah well, at least you did the assignment
not long to wait now till results day anyway lol
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
bonjour!:lol:
the hospitality team sounds interesting- I imagine it'll be really good to talk about in your personal statement (even if the events don't happen)
I was a prefect last year but I didn't go for it again this year because I felt I got everything out of it and some of the stuff we had to do, well I just didn't want to keep doing it in 6th year lol
What do you want to do when you leave?
Bonjour!
Yeah, our school had different teams to sign up for and I'm not really that involved with school events and activities because I never know what to say and frankly I'm just a tad awkward haha. I'm thinking of doing International Business at Uni but over the past few weeks I've been wondering if that's really what I want to do What do you want to do when you leave?
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Bonjour!
Yeah, our school had different teams to sign up for and I'm not really that involved with school events and activities because I never know what to say and frankly I'm just a tad awkward haha. I'm thinking of doing International Business at Uni but over the past few weeks I've been wondering if that's really what I want to do What do you want to do when you leave?
that sounds interesting! It is so difficult to decide on what you want to do though- I've basically spent the last 5 years saying I don't know what I want to do lol but I decided a wee while back that I was going to study law. I've managed to do a fair bit of career exploration during lockdown through virtual work experience and stuff like that so that was good at least. I'm just hoping that results day is good now! How are you feeling about it?
But yeah I'm kind of the same at school actually- like I didn't want to go for head girl or anything because while it would be good for my application, I don't really like to be that heavily involved with school stuff and also it's a bit too high-profile for my liking :lol:
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
that sounds interesting! It is so difficult to decide on what you want to do though- I've basically spent the last 5 years saying I don't know what I want to do lol but I decided a wee while back that I was going to study law. I've managed to do a fair bit of career exploration during lockdown through virtual work experience and stuff like that so that was good at least. I'm just hoping that results day is good now! How are you feeling about it?
But yeah I'm kind of the same at school actually- like I didn't want to go for head girl or anything because while it would be good for my application, I don't really like to be that heavily involved with school stuff and also it's a bit too high-profile for my liking :lol:
I was at a New Years party this year and my neighbour was telling me how someone there is doing International Business at Heriott Watt so ever since then I've been researching the subject. If I'm going to be honest, I don't find business the most exciting thing in the world, but I'm good at the subject I was thinking about doing it with French but then for AH we're reading our book and that's when I realised that my French really isn't good enough for Uni level 😂

Is there a specific type of Law you want to do? I applied to do business work experience for over the summer but then I thought I was doing it wrong because to apply I had to do all these what if scenarios so I emailed the teacher who told me about it and he never replied, so I withdrew my application 😂 I have mixed feelings about results day. I know I've got an A for French and Business Management, my Music Teacher recommended me an A but I feel like the SQA will bring it down to a B (which is fine, but I'd rather the A obviously lmao). My concerns lie with English and Maths. In Nat 5 I was at a C all year until the final exam where I got an A, for Higher this year I've also been at a C, so I feel like if we actually got to do the exam I could've gotten an A- I've just got to hope that my teacher believes in me Maths I know I'm going to be disappointed but not surprised. I attended the Maths study sessions every Tuesday lunch and I still never had a clue what was going on. All of March I was trying to drop Maths so I wouldn't have to take the exam, because I knew having "No award" on the certificate would ruin it entirely. But my Maths teacher sent the SQA my grade predictions anyway so it's out of my hands :/ How are you feeling about results day? Also yeah, I'd be a rubbish head girl because no one would listen to me 😂
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
I was at a New Years party this year and my neighbour was telling me how someone there is doing International Business at Heriott Watt so ever since then I've been researching the subject. If I'm going to be honest, I don't find business the most exciting thing in the world, but I'm good at the subject I was thinking about doing it with French but then for AH we're reading our book and that's when I realised that my French really isn't good enough for Uni level 😂

Is there a specific type of Law you want to do? I applied to do business work experience for over the summer but then I thought I was doing it wrong because to apply I had to do all these what if scenarios so I emailed the teacher who told me about it and he never replied, so I withdrew my application 😂 I have mixed feelings about results day. I know I've got an A for French and Business Management, my Music Teacher recommended me an A but I feel like the SQA will bring it down to a B (which is fine, but I'd rather the A obviously lmao). My concerns lie with English and Maths. In Nat 5 I was at a C all year until the final exam where I got an A, for Higher this year I've also been at a C, so I feel like if we actually got to do the exam I could've gotten an A- I've just got to hope that my teacher believes in me Maths I know I'm going to be disappointed but not surprised. I attended the Maths study sessions every Tuesday lunch and I still never had a clue what was going on. All of March I was trying to drop Maths so I wouldn't have to take the exam, because I knew having "No award" on the certificate would ruin it entirely. But my Maths teacher sent the SQA my grade predictions anyway so it's out of my hands :/ How are you feeling about results day? Also yeah, I'd be a rubbish head girl because no one would listen to me 😂
Ahahahah I'm the same with French- I was considering doing law with French but in doing the AH listenings I haven't been understanding them at all so I was like probably best not to study it! :facepalm:Anyway, I'm going to do Scots Law, but the thing is this time last year I still didn't know what I wanted to do so I haven't done any physical experience in law firms or anything like that. Obviously now that isn't possible for the time being so I've just been attending virtual events and stuff so I can put it on my application. That's a shame about the business work experience though- it's so irritating when teachers don't respond. I actually had to do something like that for this law experience that may or may not be happening later in the year but I haven't heard back yet. Have you tried InsideSherpa? It is quite good for virtual work experience.
I'm quite hopeful for results day because I got straight A's in my prelims, but I just hope that my grades aren't brought down to bring me in line with the rest of my school cohort, and I feel the SQA might be hesitant to award straight A's without having done any formal exams! I totally get you with maths though- I have always struggled with understanding maths and I had to attend study support literally every week at Nat 5. I just never got it! I'm pretty sure that I barely got any right answers in the exam last year but I got marks for just leaving all my working lol. Were you doing Higher? All the people I know who did Higher this year really struggled with it, even the ones that were like gods at it at Nat 5. It's a tough one for sure. For English that must be so annoying knowing how much progress you could have made up to the final exam. You do have the folio though which could help show your skill:yep: and hopefully your teacher recognised that you could have done really well in the exam.:crossedf:
How are you feeling about returning to school?
Last edited by pineapplepink; 2 weeks ago
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ahahahah I'm the same with French- I was considering doing law with French but in doing the AH listenings I haven't been understanding them at all so I was like probably best not to study it! :facepalm:Anyway, I'm going to do Scots Law, but the thing is this time last year I still didn't know what I wanted to do so I haven't done any physical experience in law firms or anything like that. Obviously now that isn't possible for the time being so I've just been attending virtual events and stuff so I can put it on my application. That's a shame about the business work experience though- it's so irritating when teachers don't respond. I actually had to do something like that for this law experience that may or may not be happening later in the year but I haven't heard back yet. Have you tried InsideSherpa? It is quite good for virtual work experience.
I'm quite hopeful for results day because I got straight A's in my prelims, but I just hope that my grades aren't brought down to bring me in line with the rest of my school cohort, and I feel the SQA might be hesitant to award straight A's without having done any formal exams! I totally get you with maths though- I have always struggled with understanding maths and I had to attend study support literally every week at Nat 5. I just never got it! I'm pretty sure that I barely got any right answers in the exam last year but I got marks for just leaving all my working lol. Were you doing Higher? All the people I know who did Higher this year really struggled with it, even the ones that were like gods at it at Nat 5. It's a tough one for sure. For English that must be so annoying knowing how much progress you could have made up to the final exam. You do have the folio though which could help show your skill:yep: and hopefully your teacher recognised that you could have done really well in the exam.:crossedf:
How are you feeling about returning to school?
The only thing i'd be able to talk about in French would be my dream holiday! 😂 What made you decide to go for Law? I'll look into it!
Well done on your straight A's!!! Hopefully they don't drag your scores down, but if they have all the evidence to show that you're a straight A student then they shouldn't be allowed to give you any less. See I think I was doing fine at Nat 5 Maths, I somehow managed to get an A in the prelim??? Flash-forward to Higher Maths where I dreadfully failed the prelim :sad: Yeah I was doing Higher, it was the worst! I had double Maths on a Monday morning Luckily I sat next to and in front of 2 of my friends who somehow got A's in all the tests. What I hate about Maths is that there is no assignment, so your final grade is completely based on how you did that day!! Which makes no sense, why does the most difficult class have no coursework???

I can only hope that my folio is good enough! What did you write about for your discursive and for your reflective/story. I honestly really don't want to go back to school. I'm just used to waking up whenever I like and doing what I want all day, and I don't really fancy waking up at I think it was 7am? It's been so long I can't even remember! Luckily we will have free periods now, which I'm looking forward to. The S6's also get the common room which has sofas, a TV, microwave and table tennis I think, but I've heard that we might not get it. I also doubt I'd be spending that much time there because it will be taken over by all the "popular" people. I also feel sorry for the poor P7's because they won't have a clue on how anything works. How are you feeling about back to school?
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I also struggle with Spanish though cause I can read and write but I kinda struggle when I want to speak it
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
The only thing i'd be able to talk about in French would be my dream holiday! 😂 What made you decide to go for Law? I'll look into it!
Well done on your straight A's!!! Hopefully they don't drag your scores down, but if they have all the evidence to show that you're a straight A student then they shouldn't be allowed to give you any less. See I think I was doing fine at Nat 5 Maths, I somehow managed to get an A in the prelim??? Flash-forward to Higher Maths where I dreadfully failed the prelim :sad: Yeah I was doing Higher, it was the worst! I had double Maths on a Monday morning Luckily I sat next to and in front of 2 of my friends who somehow got A's in all the tests. What I hate about Maths is that there is no assignment, so your final grade is completely based on how you did that day!! Which makes no sense, why does the most difficult class have no coursework???

I can only hope that my folio is good enough! What did you write about for your discursive and for your reflective/story. I honestly really don't want to go back to school. I'm just used to waking up whenever I like and doing what I want all day, and I don't really fancy waking up at I think it was 7am? It's been so long I can't even remember! Luckily we will have free periods now, which I'm looking forward to. The S6's also get the common room which has sofas, a TV, microwave and table tennis I think, but I've heard that we might not get it. I also doubt I'd be spending that much time there because it will be taken over by all the "popular" people. I also feel sorry for the poor P7's because they won't have a clue on how anything works. How are you feeling about back to school?
Thanks!
I feel like maths is definitely one of the more difficult ones. No coursework + incredibly challenging content = :eek3: I just dipped after Nat 5 lol- no way was I going to do Higher.:lol:
I'm sure your English folio will work out for you because your teacher would have seen the changes you've made to it and your progress over the year! I did a persuasive essay on kids having technology and then for creative we didn't do a reflective essay this year: we did a monologue instead (although I don't think mine is very good because I've never been good at creative writing lol). What did you do yours on?
Literally I'm the exact same about going back to school- I've loved getting up when I want and spending my time how I want, and now it's back to the whole getting up early, rushing out the door thing.:afraid: Defo not looking forward to it lol.
We get free periods too which is good- I kind of just like doing my own thing! The common room sounds nice. All we get is a separate dining hall- actually no we don't: they're getting rid of it!:facepalm: I feel it'll be so bad for the wee P7's because school won't be anything like it's normally like so they can't properly adjust. Not so bad for us because we'll be leaving anyway.
With law, I'd kind of been flirting with the idea for a while but I had never really committed to it or put that much thought into it. I just feel like it's something I'd be really good at and I like a challenge too. It just kind of suits me. Do you have a particular uni that you'd like to go to (for business or otherwise)?
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
I also struggle with Spanish though cause I can read and write but I kinda struggle when I want to speak it
yeah Spanish is a good language to do though cos so many people speak it
How are you feeling about going back to school?
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Has anyone started with their personal statement yet?
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah Spanish is a good language to do though cos so many people speak it
How are you feeling about going back to school?
I have mixed feelings when it comes to going back to school because the pandemic is not finished yet and we have narrow corridors so everyone pushes eachother and I have a feeling that someone will get corona because of that but we’ll see.
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks!
I feel like maths is definitely one of the more difficult ones. No coursework + incredibly challenging content = :eek3: I just dipped after Nat 5 lol- no way was I going to do Higher.:lol:
I'm sure your English folio will work out for you because your teacher would have seen the changes you've made to it and your progress over the year! I did a persuasive essay on kids having technology and then for creative we didn't do a reflective essay this year: we did a monologue instead (although I don't think mine is very good because I've never been good at creative writing lol). What did you do yours on?
Literally I'm the exact same about going back to school- I've loved getting up when I want and spending my time how I want, and now it's back to the whole getting up early, rushing out the door thing.:afraid: Defo not looking forward to it lol.
We get free periods too which is good- I kind of just like doing my own thing! The common room sounds nice. All we get is a separate dining hall- actually no we don't: they're getting rid of it!:facepalm: I feel it'll be so bad for the wee P7's because school won't be anything like it's normally like so they can't properly adjust. Not so bad for us because we'll be leaving anyway.
With law, I'd kind of been flirting with the idea for a while but I had never really committed to it or put that much thought into it. I just feel like it's something I'd be really good at and I like a challenge too. It just kind of suits me. Do you have a particular uni that you'd like to go to (for business or otherwise)?
Honestly, if I knew I didn't need maths I would've dipped too I thought that both Maths and English were needed at Higher so I put myself through the pain of Higher Maths for nothing :/ For my discursive I wrote about the negative effects of Reality TV on the viewers and the participants and for my other essay I did an Epistolary- which was a series of letters written by a girl during the North Berwick Witch Trials. Your persuasive sounds good! I spent ages trying to think of a topic :confused: What was your monologue about?

Exactly!! And I'm needing knew Blazers because the thread is all loose on mine and their getting a bit small. Blazers are supposed to be part of school uniform at my school but the teachers only really care about ties, however S6's are supposed to "set an example for the rest of the school" so now I'm going to have to wear it even though it is extremely hot and uncomfortable :cry:Also I think we're going to be sitting at single desks, so how am I supposed to ask people for help?! I told my mum that and she said "you shouldn't need to ask for help, you should already know"

No one at my school really eats in the dining hall apart from maybe a few S1s and 2s. Most people just go down the highstreet to Baguette Express or Greggs and then either go to the Social Area (which I hate- it's so loud and full of rubbish lying around everywhere) or they go home or just walk about. But how dare they take that from you!!!! I swear everyone loves taking things away from us The teachers at my school made a video introducing themselves and I think they might be going to school on the Monday and Tuesday because we go back on a Wednesday. But what's really confusing is that all the high schools where I live are changing their times so that we all start and finish at the same time, and we're going to have 7 periods instead of 6.

I hope you enjoy it! From what I can see you've certainly got the grades! Though I thought you would've needed Higher Maths. I'm leaning towards Strathclyde, but I'm not sure how I feel about living in Glasgow. I've also been looking at Aberdeen, Heriott Watt and Edinburgh, but I've never even been to Aberdeen :lol: What Uni's are you thinking of?

Also I saw you asking about personal statements in a separate post- i've started filling out my Ucas details but I'm not too sure how to write a personal statement so I'm going to wait til we go back to school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (76)
40.64%
Take autumn exams (61)
32.62%
Look for a job (5)
2.67%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.21%
Take a year out (27)
14.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
6.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise