pineapplepink
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SchuylerSister22)
It would be a great tool for revising for prelims and exams! Who knows, maybe I'll start recording my lessons :perv: It's good that we have us doing AH French here but we also have the Spanish perspective! Now we can all cry about our work together in our different languages :laugh: emmajane037 . The one thing I'm most stressing about is the talking exam... I'm pretty sure we have to do 20 minutes worth? I was struggling to remember my 10 minutes in Higher nevermind doubling it! Do you know what you're going to do your dissertation on yet?
Yeah it would... I might start doing that too
ikr! multilingual group we are :lol: But yeah, 20 minutes is longggg! I think I'm going to have to start memorising my answers really early lol.
Do you mean for English?
SchuylerSister22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by emmajane037)
My first Spanish portfolio book that my teacher assigned is "Réquiem por un campesino Español", and so far I have gauged that it's about a Priest reminiscing about a guy called Paco's life as he died at 26 (I believe? I can't remember exactly ahah) during the Spanish civil war. It seems rather strange if I'm honest, but then again I am yet to finish it as I am the same, my motivation and work ethic has been virtually nonexistent since like April. Honestly, language classes always seem to get so much hate but I don't understand why! They are some of the best laughs I have had at school. Ahah, me too! Boredom eating has not been good for me, but hopefully, we will return to some normality in a few weeks! I have a friend doing AH French and she is the only one at our school too, I don't think it is that popular which is a shame as it is always fun and helpful to have at least one other person to work with.

Honestly, could not recommend the Mock Court case project enough! It gives such great insight into the profession, and as much as I was a soliciting role last year whilst not really wanting to do Law as a profession anymore, it still helped me build my confidence and communication skills etc. It also is just an overall fun experience to participate in.
It sounds good! I know, everyone in my school is so against languages- they''re pretty narrow minded Especially when it comes to spanish, there was 15 people in my Higher French last year and there was only 1 Higher Spanish which is such a shame!! You're right, languages are the funniest classes For birthday's we'd get balloons and have parties! Once when our teacher was off sick we didn't get any cover so the boys just put trainspotting on. It was "interesting" to say the least.... Today I was jogging around the living room to get back into shape before school, didn't seem to do much :laugh:

My friend did it last year and her team won at something, I don't know exactly what? But she was always talking about how fun it was, but also how she was doing most of the work :/ What did you have to do for the soliciting role and what are the other roles?
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pineapplepink)
Yeah it would... I might start doing that too
ikr! multilingual group we are :lol: But yeah, 20 minutes is longggg! I think I'm going to have to start memorising my answers really early lol.
Do you mean for English?
For Geography
emmajane037
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It sounds good! I know, everyone in my school is so against languages- they''re pretty narrow minded Especially when it comes to spanish, there was 15 people in my Higher French last year and there was only 1 Higher Spanish which is such a shame!! You're right, languages are the funniest classes For birthday's we'd get balloons and have parties! Once when our teacher was off sick we didn't get any cover so the boys just put trainspotting on. It was "interesting" to say the least.... Today I was jogging around the living room to get back into shape before school, didn't seem to do much :laugh:

My friend did it last year and her team won at something, I don't know exactly what? But she was always talking about how fun it was, but also how she was doing most of the work :/ What did you have to do for the soliciting role and what are the other roles?
That sounds so fun!! We aren’t that fun ahaha but we do have a laugh. Although I have to admit I am biased towards the Humanities department at my school, but the language department is a close second ahaha. I don’t blame you, it doesn’t sound fun to jog ahah. Honestly just try to embrace the lack of fitness these days, it’s understandable and I’m sure you will get back into things when school starts (just under 4 weeks 🥳)

So in S4 (my first year doing it) I was a researcher/witness. So for this you are expected to read all the materials and help research laws and different things relating to that specific scenario that will help your team (either defence or pursuers) This then helps your team members write your writ using as much relevant and helpful information as possible to have a good standing when it comes to court. If you are a witness, you are also typically expected to read the person you will be acting as statement that is provided with the other resources. This is so when you are under oath and the opposing team is questioning you, you will know your stuff and not be caught off guard. For a solicitor, it’s pretty much reading and researching and doing the writ drafts and trying to get a strong argument for your team. Then when it comes to the court day, you get to dress up and wear the court gowns when delivering your argument etc. You also have to have prepared an opening statement, examination in chief questions (questions you ask your own witnesses to set the scene for your team to look good / portray your argument best), cross examination questions (to try and catch the opposing team out, it’s quite fun to do if you like thinking on the spot) and then a good closing statement (mostly we normally write during the actual court as you use stuff that’s brought up). It can be quite stressful at times as you need to be a quick thinker on the day and it takes a good bit of confidence (something I didn’t have even when I done it in October there) but it is a lot of fun and you gain a lot from it. I hope I managed to explain that in a way that’s understandable ahah, if you have any other questions I’ll try help!
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm enjoying Admin quite a lot this year- it's not been that difficult to crash. I like doing the practical like letters and keeping track of minutes, and the theory is pretty much like Business Management. How did you find Admin when you did it?
I enjoyed admin aswell we didn’t do a lot of theory because of the coronavirus cancelling exams but I loved the practical bit with word, excel and database (database will help when doing computing because of the queries) however I don’t like doing minutes documents
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! So I have done Spanish since S3, so I had a decent basis of having done Nat5 (I think I got something like 93% in the exam) This being said, Spanish was one of the few subjects I felt a jump in from Nat5 to Higher, mainly in the writing aspect. I'm not sure if you have said previously about doing Nat5? But either way, I can hopefully give some advice/tips on how I coped (as believe me, I didn't think I would at Higher ahah)

-I found reading not too bad. This was because it's only the one text vs the 3 at Nat5, and whilst the difficulty is more intense I found it pretty much the same as it was a continuous text it provided more context that helped me find and at some points guess the answers. As at Higher you do a translation as part of reading too, this does make this paper a bit more difficult. This is because it has to be pretty much exact, the marking scheme only allows slight variations. However, it does help as the marks are split up into 5 sections within- so if you get the first section of the translation wrong, but the others more accurate, you can still gain 8/10 if that makes sense?
-Listening... honestly just keeping up with reading vocab and practising past papers is my best advice as I normally only got like 60-70% on average for each listening as, if I'm honest, I would have to end up playing a guessing game based off of the answers I did get and any other context I picked up
-I hate to say it but grammar... I actively avoided grammar at Nat5 (lol) and managed to do decent, however- at Higher I really had to try focus on this and especially the imperfect/preterite tense when it came to writing. It's easier said than done, but once you start picking it up on how to form verbs in the past tenses, it helps you in all aspects a tonne!
-For writing, I kinda struggled as I would try to challenge myself to write what I wanted to write instead of what I knew how to write, which isn't always a great idea. My best tip is to have a basic structre for each context your school chooses to teach (IE- Society, Learning, Friends and Family etc) as usually, you can get away with the same sentence structures and just change the contents to fit the question. This helps your writing flow better which can boost your mark up, even if accuracy sometimes lacks. But also try to vary your language to try to make it less monotonous, as this also increases your chance of landing a higher mark.
-For speaking, I always did the best in this aspect. But honestly, all I would do is use the speaking booklet the school provides with the questions you will be asked and write sophisticated answers that were a good length but not too confusing to memorise, and then I would get them marked and fixed until they were 100% accurate and then write the final answers on flashcards and memorised them from there. At Higher, you can be asked some introductory questions that aren't planned or some that slightly vary to the ones in the book- however, as long as you have memorised answered to the planned questions, you can normally wing them and alter them to fit a slightly different angle of question.

Honestly, I loved Higher Spanish and can't wait to continue with AH (pending results day and if I meet my A target ahah) I would say just try and be consistent and it will come to you a lot easier and quicker. I hope the above tips help, but if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try my best to help!
I did nat 5 and hopefully getting an A in it

thank you for the tips, I was struggling with the reading part because I have some problems when translating Spanish to English and often I had between 18-22/30 in practice essays.

I’m really bad at listening and speaking but I really hope that it will go good aswell
emmajane037
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kubsyy)
I did nat 5 and hopefully getting an A in it

thank you for the tips, I was struggling with the reading part because I have some problems when translating Spanish to English and often I had between 18-22/30 in practice essays.

I’m really bad at listening and speaking but I really hope that it will go good aswell
I’m sure you will!! If you feel comfortable doing so, keep me posted on it? But good luck for results day! (I personally can’t wait lol)

Another good thing to do to develop reading skills is turning your phone into Spanish / downloading “el mundo” or “el país” and read the news in Spanish. At first you might not be able to understand anything but it helps build it up on the side.

Listening is always the hardest bit for me too to be honest, it’s one of those things I feel everyone struggles with. The few other students I’ve done Nat5/H with were the same too, we could barely pass them on a good day up until like Easter school time (even then, it was still like 60-65%). But even with weaker points you can still get a great grade due to how the marks are split with language exams which I find useful. Do you have a speaking book to write answers in?
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m sure you will!! If you feel comfortable doing so, keep me posted on it? But good luck for results day! (I personally can’t wait lol)

Another good thing to do to develop reading skills is turning your phone into Spanish / downloading “el mundo” or “el país” and read the news in Spanish. At first you might not be able to understand anything but it helps build it up on the side.

Listening is always the hardest bit for me too to be honest, it’s one of those things I feel everyone struggles with. The few other students I’ve done Nat5/H with were the same too, we could barely pass them on a good day up until like Easter school time (even then, it was still like 60-65%). But even with weaker points you can still get a great grade due to how the marks are split with language exams which I find useful. Do you have a speaking book to write answers in?
I can’t wait for results day as well good luck to you too!

I’ll be sure to download it there was a website that had spanish news in it and it had a translator I think but I had to pay it to get full access.

I don’t have a speaking book yet but I think I’ll be given by my teacher because she always gives us some stuff to revise.
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That sounds so fun!! We aren’t that fun ahaha but we do have a laugh. Although I have to admit I am biased towards the Humanities department at my school, but the language department is a close second ahaha. I don’t blame you, it doesn’t sound fun to jog ahah. Honestly just try to embrace the lack of fitness these days, it’s understandable and I’m sure you will get back into things when school starts (just under 4 weeks 🥳)

So in S4 (my first year doing it) I was a researcher/witness. So for this you are expected to read all the materials and help research laws and different things relating to that specific scenario that will help your team (either defence or pursuers) This then helps your team members write your writ using as much relevant and helpful information as possible to have a good standing when it comes to court. If you are a witness, you are also typically expected to read the person you will be acting as statement that is provided with the other resources. This is so when you are under oath and the opposing team is questioning you, you will know your stuff and not be caught off guard. For a solicitor, it’s pretty much reading and researching and doing the writ drafts and trying to get a strong argument for your team. Then when it comes to the court day, you get to dress up and wear the court gowns when delivering your argument etc. You also have to have prepared an opening statement, examination in chief questions (questions you ask your own witnesses to set the scene for your team to look good / portray your argument best), cross examination questions (to try and catch the opposing team out, it’s quite fun to do if you like thinking on the spot) and then a good closing statement (mostly we normally write during the actual court as you use stuff that’s brought up). It can be quite stressful at times as you need to be a quick thinker on the day and it takes a good bit of confidence (something I didn’t have even when I done it in October there) but it is a lot of fun and you gain a lot from it. I hope I managed to explain that in a way that’s understandable ahah, if you have any other questions I’ll try help!
I'm not too sure how I feel about my Social Subjects department because some teachers have left and been replaced since I last took Modern Studies in S3. So I'm definitely closer with languages :laugh: Awwww nooo, I'm actually really dreading going back. I've barely spoken to anyone over quarantine as I've just enjoyed having time to myself and it's going to be so awkward because people will wonder why I've not messaged them.
Thank you so much for the explanation! It sounds like it would be good fun and a helpful experience
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
For Geography
ah yeah so I think I might do it on water shortages and the ramifications of that or something. My teacher gave us this big long list of suggestions and we're supposed to choose a topic for going back to school.
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
I'm not too sure how I feel about my Social Subjects department because some teachers have left and been replaced since I last took Modern Studies in S3. So I'm definitely closer with languages :laugh: Awwww nooo, I'm actually really dreading going back. I've barely spoken to anyone over quarantine as I've just enjoyed having time to myself and it's going to be so awkward because people will wonder why I've not messaged them.
Thank you so much for the explanation! It sounds like it would be good fun and a helpful experience
So am I! Some of my friends I haven't actually spoken to in months now lol we've just messaged each other very occasionally:lol: Thing is, I have always been quite happy in my own company so I haven't felt the need but I'll probably seem like a bit of a stranger to some people when I have to go back lol
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pineapplepink)
ah yeah so I think I might do it on water shortages and the ramifications of that or something. My teacher gave us this big long list of suggestions and we're supposed to choose a topic for going back to school.
That sounds like it would be quite good!
I'm glad I'm not the only one failing to communicate with people Yesss!!! Quarantine has helped me discover than I'm such a loner :laugh: Just the thought of having to have a full on conversation with someone is tiring enough! I'm just worried that people are going to think that it's only them I'm not talking to, when I'm actually not talking to anyone at all
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
That sounds like it would be quite good!
I'm glad I'm not the only one failing to communicate with people Yesss!!! Quarantine has helped me discover than I'm such a loner :laugh: Just the thought of having to have a full on conversation with someone is tiring enough! I'm just worried that people are going to think that it's only them I'm not talking to, when I'm actually not talking to anyone at all
yep defo not the only one! I've always been pretty hard to get in contact with lol but that was when I was still seeing people at school and now I'm not even doing that lmao. I just cba lol: being social is exhausting!:lol:
catchirshad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am doing higher chemistry, just wondering what I need to know about first 20 elements of periodic table, please can anyone help also any good resources for higher chemistry please
Carysferguson29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I'm taking Advanced Higher French and I'm crashing Higher Modern Studies and Higher Admin, as well as doing Hospitality in College. I've also signed up for my school's Hospitality Team- which is planning and organising school events (which tbh probably won't even happen)
Hey I’m also AH French and thinking about crashing higher modern studies! I’m the only person in my school to do ah French so I’ve had to apply to college to do it online lol x
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I will be the only one doing higher computer science through college aswell lol
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Carysferguson29)
Hey I’m also AH French and thinking about crashing higher modern studies! I’m the only person in my school to do ah French so I’ve had to apply to college to do it online lol x
Hey! It's great to have someone in the same boat as me who can relate!! What other subjects are you taking this year? And how are you feeling about results day
Carysferguson29
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! It's great to have someone in the same boat as me who can relate!! What other subjects are you taking this year? And how are you feeling about results day
I'm taking AH French, AH Spanish, Higher History, DofE and hopefully Higher Modern Studies but that depends on if I can fit it into my timetable. Wbu? I'm feeling quite nervous for results day as I'm really hoping for straight A's but i think Higher Human Bio is gonna let me down.
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Carysferguson29)
I'm taking AH French, AH Spanish, Higher History, DofE and hopefully Higher Modern Studies but that depends on if I can fit it into my timetable. Wbu? I'm feeling quite nervous for results day as I'm really hoping for straight A's but i think Higher Human Bio is gonna let me down.
What level DofE are you doing? I did Bronze and then stopped after that :lol: I think you should go for Higher Modern Studies if you can. I last did it in S3 and I thought it was okay but there was a lot of writing and then now I'm doing it again this year. I didn't really like it at the start because I was getting much more work than my other classes but I find the documentaries really interesting! I'm also so nervous, I'm constantly checking the countdown on my phone!! The one result I'm not looking forward to is Maths because I was awful at it this year and tried to drop out. I'm also not sure about English as I know I could've gotten an A if we had an exam but I'm not sure what my teacher thinks about my work, though I do need at least a B for uni so she better be kind!
Carysferguson29
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What level DofE are you doing? I did Bronze and then stopped after that :lol: I think you should go for Higher Modern Studies if you can. I last did it in S3 and I thought it was okay but there was a lot of writing and then now I'm doing it again this year. I didn't really like it at the start because I was getting much more work than my other classes but I find the documentaries really interesting! I'm also so nervous, I'm constantly checking the countdown on my phone!! The one result I'm not looking forward to is Maths because I was awful at it this year and tried to drop out. I'm also not sure about English as I know I could've gotten an A if we had an exam but I'm not sure what my teacher thinks about my work, though I do need at least a B for uni so she better be kind!
Im just doing Bronze level,it was really just a column filler as I already have a private study. Yeah maths is the worst ahaha but im sure youll have done better than you think! what are you thinking about doing at uni?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.13%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (54)
27.98%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
53.89%

Watched Threads