My friend's dad hit him because he dropped some biscuits Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
In his house, his father has outlawed making mistakes, so when a mistake does happen he just bullies them. This happened right in front of me because I was there too, and I was just embarrassed and wanted to say something but didn't (too surprised).

My friend is 24, so what's the next step for him? I would go to the police, or at least hit the dad back, but I fear my friend will do nothing.
JointVenture
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
move out?
Mr_Steve_Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Urgh. I hate fathers like him because my father was like that before I could defend myself. Don't take **** like that, tell your friend this.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JointVenture)
move out?
He has slept round my house many times, but it cannot be permanent. I don't think he has anywhere else to go.
username42053
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ask him why he lets him do it. Don't interfere, though it would be hard not to, but rather support. I'm not surprised you're offended, but if he does it in front of you, perhaps the father doesn't see anything wrong with his actions. Can his son not talk to him at all? Though I know how hard that can be. Jeez we all make mistakes so it's stupid to scold/hit someone for dropping biscuits.

edit: And why can't he move out?
Fabregas1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get them to talk it over. Tell your friend to hit his dad is he makes a mistake, as those are the 'rules' and see how he feels. Easy.
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What do you mean by "hit"?
Refina
Report 10 years ago
ummm that sounds kinda serious....is there another adult in the house that he could talk to? he might be used to his dad taking anger out on him so he might find it normal... he could maybe talk to a counseller.
Anonymous #1
If my friend fights back or argues verbally, he will be thrown out. Their household is very old fashioned, with the man of the house allowed to play God with everyone else's lives.

IMO his dad sees him as a threat to his alpha male status within his own household, so deliberately tries to stifle him. But it's still unacceptable.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
does he have a job? if so can he not save for his own place
Mattgeezer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are his parents religious by any chance?
Rhys.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mattgeezer)
are his parents religious by any chance?
Because religious parents hit their kids?

What?
star_5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1: He should stand up to him
2: Going to the police is a tad bit drastic
3: He should move out and rent somewhere
dollypop
Report 10 years ago
so what happens when the father makes mistakes? i feel bad for your friend...the only thing i can think of is for him to fight back, but even then, i'd worry that such a man would do something drastic...does your friend not have family that can sort of stage an intervention, or just generally talk to him and make him understand?
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is this actually serious? I can't believe for one moment that anybody aged 24 would actually tolerate living at home with a violent parent. In reality, they would have moved out by now.
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by star_5)
2: Going to the police is a tad bit drastic
Why? Because abusing your kids has suddenly become acceptable?
King4eva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JointVenture)
Why are you anon? hes 24. He really should be looking to move out. No wonder his dad is going mental at him :rolleyes:
it isnt easy to move out these days with the financial situation this country is in
chooka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
Why are you trying to excuse his behaviour?
Im not trying to excuse his behaviour. I just think that at 24, unless there are circumstances that are beyond his control, that means he cant get a job and move out that, that he has to look at it the situation and say "should i even be here at this stage in my life"? His father probably has pent up anger that has lead him to be annoyed at his son. Its just a little trigger like that that probably clicked something in his fathers brain that just annoyed him one step too far. There is no smoke without fire really.
I say he should move out. Get a job. Do something pro-active and not be in the same place in 5 years complaining about his father doing something annoying again.
originalname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If he dropped my HobNobs I'd burn the ****er's arse on the stove!

Seriously though, just move out; If you either threaten to go to, or go to the police, he'll probably have to move out anyways.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought I posted in here twice. Nevermind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (113)
26.28%
No (317)
73.72%

Watched Threads