Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What kind of biscuits were they... McVities Digestive ... Hobnobs ... Custard Cream ... ? ? ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys.)
    Because religious parents hit their kids?

What?
    you think religious people don't hit their kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark-knight)
    What kind of biscuits were they... McVities Digestive ... Hobnobs ... Custard Cream ... ? ? ?
    Maybe Rich Tea? In fact I'm sure of it!

ReputationRep:
    We should start a poll. Which biscuit do you think he dropped?

1) Custard Cream
    2) Rich Tea
    3) Digestive
    4) Bourbon
    5) Jammie Dodger
    6) HobNob
    7) McVitie's
    8) Penguin Biscuit

ReputationRep:
    he's 24, ffs. he should get a job and move out.

if my twenty four year old son was knockin' round my house, dropping my biscuits all over the place, I'd probably feel the urge to give him a clout, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark-knight)
    We should start a poll. Which biscuit do you think he dropped?

1) Custard Cream
    2) Rich Tea
    3) Digestive
    4) Bourbon
    5) Jammie Dodger
    6) HobNob
    7) McVitie's
    8) Penguin Biscuit
    I think Oreo.

or maybe a Viscount.

ReputationRep:
    6). i'd murder whoever dropped my hobnobs. especially chocolate-side down - grrrr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He has slept round my house many times, but it cannot be permanent. I don't think he has anywhere else to go.

It may take a few weeks, but everyone can find somewhere to go in any city with £300(max) a month (you can get that working in Mcdonalds...hell you can get that on benefits). A bedsit is crap but at least it's better than living with a horrible father....

he is 24 after all....I moved out at 18 because of family stuff mainly and I'm much happier even though it's very difficult at times.

Edit: www.gumtree.com - click on the relevant city and at flat shares offered.... good site for stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Is this actually serious? I can't believe for one moment that anybody aged 24 would actually tolerate living at home with a parent. In reality, they would have moved out by now.
    FYP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_5)
    1: He should stand up to him
    2: Going to the police is a tad bit drastic
    3: He should move out and rent somewhere
    Why is calling the police drastic when it's domestic violence? You might think differently if it was a woman/girl instead.

But yes, OP, in the mean time he should just stand up for yourself. Inform the police as it is their bloody job to uphold the law, how big or small, and may be contact social services if it gets serious. There should be some emergency accommodation he could have.

(Original post by JointVenture)
    move out?
    Bit difficult finding a council house these days as they have mostly been bought and many are overpriced that are vacant for some time. My cousin got a council house quicker than I ever could but I don't fancy being a father just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In his house, his father has outlawed making mistakes, so when a mistake does happen he just bullies them.
    Well, it worked for China - the Olympics was quite a success, so they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chooka)
    Im not trying to excuse his behaviour. I just think that at 24, unless there are circumstances that are beyond his control, that means he cant get a job and move out that, that he has to look at it the situation and say "should i even be here at this stage in my life"? His father probably has pent up anger that has lead him to be annoyed at his son. Its just a little trigger like that that probably clicked something in his fathers brain that just annoyed him one step too far. There is no smoke without fire really.
    I say he should move out. Get a job. Do something pro-active and not be in the same place in 5 years complaining about his father doing something annoying again.
    That's on the scale with saying "oh, she was wearing a short skirt, she deserved to be raped."

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, my stepdad sounds similar. It's why I've pretty much shut myself away in my room for the past few years. You can't do anything right around him, so, quite frankly, you don't put yourself around him.
    It is hard though, obviously, when you live in the same house.
    When he does have a go, or starts up on one because I've got a tiny bit of milk on the kitchen top and I'm clearly such a terrible person, I just ignore him. Same as playground bullying.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your friend to cycle anabolic steroids, take kickboxing lessons, listen to maraliyn manson albums back to back, and then go and confront his dad. The father will be pleasantly suprised and very unlikely to do anything again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    That's on the scale with saying "oh, she was wearing a short skirt, she deserved to be raped."
    Its was probably born out of the fathers fustration that his 24 year old kid was still at home, and by the sounds of it had no job. I think most parents would be fustrated that their kid is currently not doing anything with their life and is still leeching off their parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chooka)
    Its was probably born out of the fathers fustration that his 24 year old kid was still at home, and by the sounds of it had no job. I think most parents would be fustrated that their kid is currently not doing anything with their life and is still leeching off their parents.
    So he deserved to be beaten up?

ReputationRep:
    You mean she didn't? :unsure:

--

As has been said above, if this is a rather regular thing then police action is warranted. Bear in mind, however, that going to the police is likely to make the father throw out the son, so he should look to find a contingency living plan (crash at your house, OP?) in the mean time.

Dare I say it, it could even be a blessing in disguise! The break he needed to try and become more independent and sort his life out (not that I'm suggesting a 24 year old living with his parents necessarily needs his life sorting per se but you see what I mean).

ReputationRep:
    So he deserved to be beaten up?
    Prehaps not deserved, but he had it comming.

ReputationRep:
    Well, she did.

ReputationRep:
    That's harsh, if he's going to hit him at least do it when there's no witnesses (not that I condone it either way) but to do it in front of a friend is just not on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.