Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Blueclueless)
Attachment 928520

Here’s a quick bount of context for you but if you google you can find more
Here's some more for you.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8981166.html

By the way have you read the article in question or was you still sucking on a baby soother at the time of press, or were you a twinkle in your parents eye?Before you answer I have read it so just be aware I'm aware of the context that the inappropriate statement was used in.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 3 weeks ago
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Uh yeah it is racist? The whole watermelon smile thing has a backstory if you google it and he’s said more
Fair enough. It is a tough one though.

A character on Monty Python once said "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

When does an insult become a racist slur?
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Here's some more for you.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8981166.html

By the way have you read the article in question or was you still sucking on a baby soother at the time of press, or were you a twinkle in your parents eye?Before you answer I have read it so just be aware I'm aware of the context that the inappropriate statement was used in.
Hi! Thanks for your reply and link! Always apprentice somebody who backs up their info!

Unfortunately I tend to look at the facts of a situation and not options of a newspaper that- according to media bias checkers- uses loaded words and occasional misinformation.

While I don’t appreciate the rude comments I understand talking about these things can be difficult especially getting non-biased sources which can get frustrating.

Here’s a screenshot from the site I used to check the media but I’ll drop the link too so you can double check

I can also drop a link explaining the deeply racist history behind the “watermelon smiles” remark if you’d like?

Name:  603952B5-8061-4D47-A7D0-8D4B9E0A36B4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  29.0 KB

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-independent/

thank you for giving me your input!
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Fair enough. It is a tough one though.

A character on Monty Python once said "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

When does an insult become a racist slur?
I love monty python!

However the hamster and berry insult was essentially “your mother is a fast breeding mammal” and (because of elderberry wine being popular in the old ages) “your farther smells of elderberries” basically means “your farther is a drunk”

A “your mom/dad” joke isn’t comparable to racial insults but thanks for reminding me of one of my favourite monty python moments!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A “your mom/dad” joke isn’t comparable to racial insults but thanks for reminding me of one of my favourite monty python moments!
Well this is where I'm not sure. It is kind of the elephant in the room that women wearing the burka resemble pilkar boxes. Perhaps a clash of cultures and general ignorance but even I (who support the idea of equality and equity) am finding the constant offensiveness of everything starting to wear thin.

British humour is based on taking the p1ss out of others. Have you noticed that there isn't any comedy on TV any more? Its all a bit sad.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Well this is where I'm not sure. It is kind of the elephant in the room that women wearing the burka resemble pilkar boxes. Perhaps a clash of cultures and general ignorance but even I (who support the idea of equality and equity) am finding the constant offensiveness of everything starting to wear thin.

British humour is based on taking the p1ss out of others. Have you noticed that there isn't any comedy on TV any more? Its all a bit sad.
There’s tons of comedy on tv! I know blackface has been removed but they’re only removing the scenes and not the entire program.

The remarks where bad enough but what really sealed the metaphorical coffin was that boris has refused to apologise for his remarks even after being called out for it time and time again.

Yes British humour is taking the p1ss and I do love it however taking the piss ≠ racism And I feel, personally that sometimes people use “it’s just a joke” as a shield for offensive comments, there’s thousands of funny and witty insults that aren’t racial, sexism, homophobia etc.

Ignorance in this day and age isn’t really as big of a excuse as it used to be, we have beyond millions of websites and information at our fingertips in seconds so personally I feel that the ignorance excuse is whats wearing thin.

I appreciate you being respectful though
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! Thanks for your reply and link! Always apprentice somebody who backs up their info!

Unfortunately I tend to look at the facts of a situation and not options of a newspaper that- according to media bias checkers- uses loaded words and occasional misinformation.

While I don’t appreciate the rude comments I understand talking about these things can be difficult especially getting non-biased sources which can get frustrating.

Here’s a screenshot from the site I used to check the media but I’ll drop the link too so you can double check

I can also drop a link explaining the deeply racist history behind the “watermelon smiles” remark if you’d like?

Name:  603952B5-8061-4D47-A7D0-8D4B9E0A36B4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  29.0 KB

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-independent/

thank you for giving me your input!
Oh you have got to be having a laugh, are you seriously using now to play the "I dont like that newspaper, so I didmiss everything within it" argument? You don't see any problems that might run running directly into?

Least you have confirmed why you ignored my question you clearly haven't read the article or no anything about it bar what you have been told in the media you choose to read. Also taking fake offence to to my question isn't ideal either, you confirm you have no idea of context.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh you have got to be having a laugh, are you seriously using now to play the "I dont like that newspaper, so I didmiss everything within it" argument? You don't see any problems that might run running directly into?

Least you have confirmed why you ignored my question, taking fake offence to it, also you confirm you have no idea of context either.
Nope! That’s called a media bias checker, it’s for checking how websites/news are biased and how factual their facts are!

Personally I don’t like using anything that isn’t centre and fully factual, if you think that is “dismissing” the newspaper you used because I “don’t like it” you’re missing the point. I dislike using sources that are unreliable

I’m confident that making sure that all my sources are reliable with no bias are not going to “run running directly into” any problems- unless of corse somebody ends up having an issue with reliable facts which will never happen.

I’m not sure where your question that I “dismissed” is? As your reply was simply assuming my age for some reason, if that was a serious question then apologies as I assumed you where being satirical or sarcastic. I did read the article yes, I thought that it was obvious I had before fact checking it

Name:  A236262B-AE34-4DE1-91AB-E53E82AF706B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  52.0 KB
Last edited by Blueclueless; 3 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nope! That’s called a media bias checker, it’s for checking how websites/news are biased and how factual their facts are!

Personally I don’t like using anything that isn’t centre and fully factual, if you think that is “dismissing” the newspaper you used because I “don’t like it” you’re missing the point. I dislike using sources that are unreliable

I’m confident that making sure that all my sources are reliable with no bias are not going to “run running directly into” any problems- unless of corse somebody ends up having an issue with reliable facts which will never happen.

I’m not sure where your question that I “dismissed” is? As your reply was simply assuming my age for some reason, if that was a serious question then apologies as I assumed you where being satirical or sarcastic. I did read the article yes, I thought that it was obvious I had before fact checking it

Name:  A236262B-AE34-4DE1-91AB-E53E82AF706B.jpg.jpeg
Size:  52.0 KB
You have read the article, so in that case what was it about? who was it target audience? When was it written? Has there been cultural changes since it press?

I must add being as so you know so much about media bias I'll add one more in;

What newspaper was it tailored to and what political spin was the editor employed to push (his job). I actually find it hilarious you have highlighted The independent has a liberal left centre biast so naturally will favour reporting agaist the right wing of the Conservatives. Copy paste from your link

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation

So I'm posting a trustworthy source up your dismissing because you dont like it, banging.:rolleyes:

Right, so are we ready to discuss seriously or are we still at crayon scribble level?
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You have read the article, so in that case what was it about? who was it target audience? When was it written? Has there been cultural changes since it press?

I must add being as so you know so much about media bias I'll add one more in;

What newspaper was it tailored to and what political spin was the editor employed to push (his job). I actually find it hilarious you have highlighted The independent has a liberal left centre biast so naturally will favour reporting agaist the right wing of the Conservatives. Copy paste from your link

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation

So I'm posting a trustworthy source up your dismissing because you dont like it, banging.:rolleyes:

Right, so are we ready to discuss seriously or are we still at crayon scribble level?
You seem to be a little upset by my response, judging by your random insults.

I never said I disliked the article itself but personally I prefer NO bias left or right so I don’t get how which bias it has is relevant, unless you think I have a vendetta?

Also I prefer “trustworthy” over “generally trustworthy” personally but I understand if you don’t.

You can find the rest of the information you demanded if you scroll down, it’ll give you some more information but I’m more then happy to send it you below

Name:  48261C95-FF9B-4358-AA13-9CACA314E8A7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  28E32D06-D283-4F57-A9E4-341E2EDD7F91.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  30.7 KB

Also: the institute is right centre bias, and it varies from country to country so I think it’s just that, the Independent as a whole leans either way usually right-centre.

Name:  06F2E26F-6F92-4F5A-AFE9-044377BE3821.jpg.jpeg
Size:  22.0 KB

I’d appreciate if you left off the strange- and rather petty- insults, as well as insisting that, because I fact check your source I must “not like” it.

Again, I genuinely don’t care which way it leans, if it’s not centre it’s biased one way or the other and unreliable 🤷🏻*♀️ it’s not anything personal to you or your sources.

We’re all adults here and I’m sure we can act like it
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not trolling my guy, you sure you don’t want to talk about it? It sounds like a really troubling way to grow up in the world
Do stop calling me "my guy".
Oh you are going to have a very rude shock when you grow up if you think everyone is polite in life :rofl:
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Do stop calling me "my guy".
Oh you are going to have a very rude shock when you grow up if you think everyone is polite in life :rofl:
So by, expecting you to act like an adult i need to grow up? Doesn’t reflect well on you my guy
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So by, expecting you to act like an adult i need to grow up? Doesn’t reflect well on you my guy
Ah and we're back to trolling. Very good young one.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Ah and we're back to trolling. Very good young one.
Thank you Jedi 🙏
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You seem to be a little upset by my response, judging by your random insults.

I never said I disliked the article itself but personally I prefer NO bias left or right so I don’t get how which bias it has is relevant, unless you think I have a vendetta?

Also I prefer “trustworthy” over “generally trustworthy” personally but I understand if you don’t.

You can find the rest of the information you demanded if you scroll down, it’ll give you some more information but I’m more then happy to send it you below

Name:  48261C95-FF9B-4358-AA13-9CACA314E8A7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  28E32D06-D283-4F57-A9E4-341E2EDD7F91.jpg.jpeg
Size:  30.7 KB

Also: the institute is right centre bias, and it varies from country to country so I think it’s just that, the Independent as a whole leans either way usually right-centre.

Name:  06F2E26F-6F92-4F5A-AFE9-044377BE3821.jpg.jpeg
Size:  22.0 KB

I’d appreciate if you left off the strange- and rather petty- insults, as well as insisting that, because I fact check your source I must “not like” it.

Again, I genuinely don’t care which way it leans, if it’s not centre it’s biased one way or the other and unreliable 🤷🏻*♀️ it’s not anything personal to you or your sources.

We’re all adults here and I’m sure we can act like it
I'm not insulting you at all, listen mate this is getting tedious. You interjected and claimed to add context to my point, which you failed too, you mearly posted a screen shot off a website which explains slang language about the watermelon comment. Now I added context to this about that subject, the subject you have brought up not me. I've said nothing about you other than implied your age and asked you to confirm, which you ignored this is relevant to the subject you brought up.

So far, you have ignored every question on the actual subject you brought up, refuse to talk about context you injected to talk about and continue to babble on about media biast, which is ridiculous in it irony to the point you brought up, the point you are now refusing to speak about? But I'm guessing that's gone over your head?

You are wiggling around like a maggot on a hook, just enter the debate or leave. This debate has not got off the ground yet, hence the crayon scribble comment aimed at the debate not at you.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There’s tons of comedy on tv! I know blackface has been removed but they’re only removing the scenes and not the entire program.

The remarks where bad enough but what really sealed the metaphorical coffin was that boris has refused to apologise for his remarks even after being called out for it time and time again.

Yes British humour is taking the p1ss and I do love it however taking the piss ≠ racism And I feel, personally that sometimes people use “it’s just a joke” as a shield for offensive comments, there’s thousands of funny and witty insults that aren’t racial, sexism, homophobia etc.

Ignorance in this day and age isn’t really as big of a excuse as it used to be, we have beyond millions of websites and information at our fingertips in seconds so personally I feel that the ignorance excuse is whats wearing thin.

I appreciate you being respectful though
Where is all the comedy? Last Saturday night, the BBC showed celebrity Mastermind and Pointless. ITV had Ninja Warrior and The Voice. Where is the equivent of The Fast Show or Two Ronnies or Morcombe and Wise. Its all gone. In fact, Mrs Browns Boys and Live at the Apollo I can't think of any comedy shows on mainstream TV.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not insulting you at all, listen mate this is getting tedious. You interjected and claimed to add context to my point, which you failed too, you mearly posted a screen shot off a website which explains slang language about the watermelon comment. Now I added context to this about that subject, the subject you have brought up not me. I've said nothing about you other than implied your age and asked you to confirm, which you ignored this is relevant to the subject you brought up.

So far, you have ignored every question on the actual subject you brought up, refuse to talk about context you injected to talk about and continue to babble on about media biast, which is ridiculous in it irony to the point you brought up, the point you are now refusing to speak about? But I'm guessing that's gone over your head?

You are wiggling around like a maggot on a hook, just enter the debate or leave. This debate has not got off the ground yet, hence the crayon scribble comment aimed at the debate not at you.
You asked for context, I gave you context and you insulted me further for some reason assuming my age, you challenged me to find facts and history of the website you used, saying I claimed to be an expert and I gave you that via a link and screenshots.

You get what you ask for and if that’s tiresome to you then maybe you should stop asking for things you don’t seem to want.

This entire “tiresome” conversation is because I fact and bias checked your website and you responded by crying that “you just don’t like the independent!1!”

You’re right this is tiring, if you insist a debate is boring because you can’t find reliable sources and make demanding questions that you call me a “maggot on a hook” for answering accurately that’s on you.

I will not be further responding as I feel you dislike using reliable information and that will be a waste of my time.

thank you for your time anyways, this has been enlightening to the kind of people I may encounter in life.

Name:  1D5DB26F-1345-4D8E-892A-6571A8ACBFFB.jpg.jpeg
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  66FBC77B-0F74-4CB0-93C8-785D18469B62.jpg.jpeg
Size:  35.2 KB
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You asked for context, I gave you context and you insulted me further for some reason assuming my age, you challenged me to find facts and history of the website you used, saying I claimed to be an expert and I gave you that via a link and screenshots.

You get what you ask for and if that’s tiresome to you then maybe you should stop asking for things you don’t seem to want.

This entire “tiresome” conversation is because I fact and bias checked your website and you responded by crying that “you just don’t like the independent!1!”

You’re right this is tiring, if you insist a debate is boring because you can’t find reliable sources and make demanding questions that you call me a “maggot on a hook” for answering accurately that’s on you.

I will not be further responding as I feel you dislike using reliable information and that will be a waste of my time.

thank you for your time anyways, this has been enlightening to the kind of people I may encounter in life.

Name:  1D5DB26F-1345-4D8E-892A-6571A8ACBFFB.jpg.jpeg
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  66FBC77B-0F74-4CB0-93C8-785D18469B62.jpg.jpeg
Size:  35.2 KB
:rolleyes: No answers to any questions then?

I conclude you dont have a clue about the artical you quote, I'm going to hazzard a educated guess you are practicing selective outrage based on something you have been told Boris said, ironically by the media biast to a political cause.
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I just hate everyone so you can put me on the racist list if it makes you feel any better.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can be racist towards only one ethnic group. So Mr Johnson can be considerate and treat those of Asian origin fairly and favourably, but not those of Afro-Carribbean origin, for example. Where he has used 'loose language' (his words) it has been towards only certain ethnicities.

Mr Johnson, great-grandson of a Turkish man, born himself in the US, and previously married to a woman with Indian heritage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed