The Student Room Group

Working whilst at university

I am new to this and are wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. I am due to start my nursing degree in September and I just wondering what are the best jobs to work around this and which jobs are flexible? People have said about working as bank staff in the hospital but when I have had a look it states that you should have experience (which I do not yet). Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much in advance! :smile: x
Original post by lnh99
I am new to this and are wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. I am due to start my nursing degree in September and I just wondering what are the best jobs to work around this and which jobs are flexible? People have said about working as bank staff in the hospital but when I have had a look it states that you should have experience (which I do not yet). Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much in advance! :smile: x

People find all sorts of work depending on their degree schedule, hobbies and how much money they need.
Potential jobs:
-part time on campus work in a library, book shop, cafe, SU...
-student helper/ambassador i.e help at open days (these roles can be very sporadic tho)
-work part time in a local cafe/restaurant/shop/retail. (Given the circumstances this maybe harder to find then normal)
-events coordinator. If you live near a venue which hosts sports events or music then these roles often semi-regular income.
-online work, run social media page...
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
People find all sorts of work depending on their degree schedule, hobbies and how much money they need.
Potential jobs:
-part time on campus work in a library, book shop, cafe, SU...
-student helper/ambassador i.e help at open days (these roles can be very sporadic tho)
-work part time in a local cafe/restaurant/shop/retail. (Given the circumstances this maybe harder to find then normal)
-events coordinator. If you live near a venue which hosts sports events or music then these roles often semi-regular income.
-online work, run social media page...

thank you very much:smile: x
I found work in a supermarket. Just pick a contract between 4-12 hours (weekends) I wouldn’t do anymore than that.
Original post by lnh99

Hi
God luck with your student nursing when it starts .

Try applying to as a auxiliary nurse part-time at weekends perhaps and you could gain some nursing experience this way or even in a care home
Also working in the likes of tesco, asda , boots or some retail part-time is another option .
Reply 5
Original post by Fermion.
I found work in a supermarket. Just pick a contract between 4-12 hours (weekends) I wouldn’t do anymore than that.

Thank you for getting back to me! Are they flexible working around your uni hours in a supermarket? x
Original post by lnh99
Thank you for getting back to me! Are they flexible working around your uni hours in a supermarket? x

Yeah studied radiography and they were quite flexible they didn’t expect me to work more than weekends and you can always pick up overtime throughout the week if you have extra time
Reply 7
Original post by Tracey1995
Hi
God luck with your student nursing when it starts .

Try applying to as a auxiliary nurse part-time at weekends perhaps and you could gain some nursing experience this way or even in a care home
Also working in the likes of tesco, asda , boots or some retail part-time is another option .

Aww thank you so much! Also thank you for reply, I appreciate it:smile: x
Reply 8
Original post by Fermion.
Yeah studied radiography and they were quite flexible they didn’t expect me to work more than weekends and you can always pick up overtime throughout the week if you have extra time

aww fabulous, thank you ever so much :smile:
Original post by lnh99
Aww thank you so much! Also thank you for reply, I appreciate it:smile: x

Welcome hunni ok
Not a problem in giving any help on this as been there with that ok xx
I dropped you a PM message OK. Xx
Reply 10
Does anyone know how many and approximate hours we spend at Nursing? I'm to start nursing at UEL this September (I have a conditional offer, waiting for 100% confirmation... I've sent them the evidence required but it's taking time on their end)
I need to know as I have to resign my job and give them at least 1-month notice to be able to plan ahead/find something more suitable around the Uni hours.

Would appreciate any help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending