The Student Room Group

Year 13s: do Year 12s have to study over summer?

Hiya, sound nuts but I’m trying to plan my summer out loosely rn because we have the History NEA, Drama research and some essays to do, but I also want to finish all my Year 12 cue cards so was wondering how much past pupils spent working over the summer?
Reply 1
I did nothing😅
Original post by renaamz
I did nothing😅

Wish I could do nothing too, but we’ve already been set what our teachers have estimated to be 10 hours work (more like 24 hours) and none of my friends live locally so I’m already bored
I studied A LOT
am not gonna lie to you, i did fck all.

Enjoy your summer. Y13 is a living hell.
I’m in y12 and I’m not doing much atm I’m ngl😅
I’m working on my History NEA, English Lit NEA and doing some reading and prep for my personal statement but absolutely nothing intensive! Mainly because I have a lot going on personally but procrastination has been real. I haven’t done more than 3 hours of work since the end of April ://
I did nothing so I’d be a bit hypocritical to tell you that you should,, however maybe it’d be a good idea to quickly read over some of your notes from last year to keep it fresh in your mind and look through the textbooks (if you have them) and just go through what topics you’ll be doing and see if you can identify any that you think you’ll need to focus more on once you start lessons.
I didn't lol. I went on holiday for two months. I think you will just burn out if you work. Year 13 is hell so I would just focus on your weaknesses, but do as little as you can.
I had a friend who completed a couple of topics before year 13 started, when school started let's just say he was miles ahead and while we were confused in the class he was spitting answers left right and centre
I did quite a lot during Summer and it honestly wasn't a good idea since I eventually burnt out. Take it easy with revision and enjoy your summer.
We were set a bit of work but told to save it for the second half of the holidays just so we came back slightly competent. It wouldn't hurt to have a think about any coursework or other things to take the pressure off in Sept, but it shouldn't really matter if you do nothing.
I did maybe 10-12 hrs of work over the whole summer but mainly in a few chunks just before term started. Don't regret it and this definitely didn't leave me burnt out, it just made he start of y13 a lot easier.
Original post by Anonymousamie
Wish I could do nothing too, but we’ve already been set what our teachers have estimated to be 10 hours work (more like 24 hours) and none of my friends live locally so I’m already bored

yeah, just don't push yourself and do a lot more than you need because that's what year 13 is for, try to enjoy yourself while you have the time now x
Original post by Anonymousamie
Hiya, sound nuts but I’m trying to plan my summer out loosely rn because we have the History NEA, Drama research and some essays to do, but I also want to finish all my Year 12 cue cards so was wondering how much past pupils spent working over the summer?

I'm in a similar situation right now. I also have my history NEA to do but I'm also taking English and French. Obviously it will be different for you but at my school, we're having our mock exams in the second week of September so we kind of HAVE to revise if we want the grades for university applications, but regardless if your exams are in September or January, I reckon we should all be working for at least 4/6 weeks in the summer just so when we go back in September, our brains haven't gone to mush. With the History NEA, I'm under the assumption that your teachers have told you to bang it out over the summer so you can get back to the course as quickly as possible?
If you can't bring yourself to sit down at a desk for a good amount of time, try some "light revision" so for History this could be watching a documentary, for Drama you could watch something, try some light reading.
For me, I'm spending 6 hours a day 9am-8pm with two one hour breaks plus lots of little breaks in the middle for six weeks (my school has 8 weeks off in the summer) the first week (this week) and the last week of the summer I am spending doing light revision so I'm re-reading my English set texts with the audio books to accompany them, I'm watching as many editions of Hamlet as possible for our second English paper, I'm watching french YouTubers and rewatching the set film.
Have a think about what sort of thing you want to achieve and then put in motion a revision plan that you think will get you there. Have a good break though, don't wear yourself out.
Good luck!
Original post by GillisRobbieWGS
I'm in a similar situation right now. I also have my history NEA to do but I'm also taking English and French. Obviously it will be different for you but at my school, we're having our mock exams in the second week of September so we kind of HAVE to revise if we want the grades for university applications, but regardless if your exams are in September or January, I reckon we should all be working for at least 4/6 weeks in the summer just so when we go back in September, our brains haven't gone to mush. With the History NEA, I'm under the assumption that your teachers have told you to bang it out over the summer so you can get back to the course as quickly as possible?
If you can't bring yourself to sit down at a desk for a good amount of time, try some "light revision" so for History this could be watching a documentary, for Drama you could watch something, try some light reading.
For me, I'm spending 6 hours a day 9am-8pm with two one hour breaks plus lots of little breaks in the middle for six weeks (my school has 8 weeks off in the summer) the first week (this week) and the last week of the summer I am spending doing light revision so I'm re-reading my English set texts with the audio books to accompany them, I'm watching as many editions of Hamlet as possible for our second English paper, I'm watching french YouTubers and rewatching the set film.
Have a think about what sort of thing you want to achieve and then put in motion a revision plan that you think will get you there. Have a good break though, don't wear yourself out.
Good luck!

Thank you :smile:. Oh gosh, good luck with your mocks! Ours might also be in September, but our teachers have just said we’ll have them ‘at some point’ which doesn’t help all that much haha. Yes of course, I’ve finished this week’s classwork already, so we have one final video chat with a teacher today and then my next task is to try to plan the summer out so I can focus on revision, but squeeze in some me time too. Yep exactly, our history teacher’s leaving which is unfortunate, but he’s strongly advised planning the NEA at the very least by September because we’re one topic away from finishing the depth study which pretty much means we’ll have half a year or more to revise! That sounds like a great idea, you sound so organised! Thank you again, my main goal really is to finish/make any cue cards sets for Sociology and History because I’d say I have 1/4 of the Year 12 content left to make revision resources for for both subjects. So I might spend mornings focusing on the NEA and afternoons making cue cards, then evenings reading ahead? Not sure 😂.

Quick Reply

Latest