usmaan124
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Due to covid my mocks have been cancelled and I have been given a*a*aa in maths chem FM physics respectively.
We have an opportunity to be reassessed in November where I am confident I can increase my two a's to a*s.
My problem is that if I apply to Oxford e and m I will have to apply early and therefore not get this opportunity (and have to apply everywhere with a*a*aa)
My question now being what does Oxford e and m have over LSE/ww/UCL in terms of employability (thinking about IB or actuary) and would it be worth not applying to Oxford to strengthen my application for the other unis.
Thanks in advance
Dechante
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Tbh all of the universities you have stated are world class universities with a great reputation so apply for the one you like the most and think of the location. The only thing I would say is that even though LSE has great links to people, it has one of the lowest student satisfaction rates in the UK with students being unhappy there and not liking the vibe of the university. However, all have great employability rates.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by usmaan124)
My problem is that if I apply to Oxford e and m I will have to apply early and therefore not get this opportunity (and have to apply everywhere with a*a*aa)
This doesn't make sense. You can apply early (by 15th October, IIRC) with exams still to be taken noted. You can apply to all your choices then, or add the others later.

If I've understood this, you're talking purely about predicted grades. Do you not already meet the entry requirements with A*A*AA?

My question now being what does Oxford e and m have over LSE/ww/UCL in terms of employability (thinking about IB or actuary) and would it be worth not applying to Oxford to strengthen my application for the other unis.
Could you explain how not applying to Oxford can strengthen your application for the others?

You will be going to a very good university - focus on preparing for that, and researching the courses, to decide your preference.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 4 weeks ago
username1625799
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Due to covid my mocks have been cancelled and I have been given a*a*aa in maths chem FM physics respectively.
We have an opportunity to be reassessed in November where I am confident I can increase my two a's to a*s.
Thanks in advance
I'd put Oxford and LSE together on the same level, both have great employability rates and connections such as alumni, networking events etc
If you join a society in Ox or LSE more likely to have alumni form your society at firms you want to join, making the internship application easier and ultimately better chance of employment.
The competitive nature especially at LSE is more likely going to push you to achieve better grades and improve your overall career prospects given everyone that goes there is ON IT from day 1, applying to internships and networking and what not. However, LSE doesn't have a great social life but you're not going to these great uni's for social life imo
WassupLadz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks in advance
Nah, so im a year 12 and brown too : ).
SO the way I see it is like this. Being best at your subject - Oxbridge LSE for econ at least, or Only Oxbridge for pretty much every other subject.
Being good at your job/getting a job especially in finance as I have read --- Top uni (For econ --> LSE/OXford/Camb/UCLand Warwick) + good personality + experience.
SO in terms of employability ---> No effect.

Also your second question is very smart, but here is the simple answer. Unis can't see who else you have applied to, all they can see is whether you like the subject and will fit the subject (from Personal statement/interview/Entrance exams).

Edit: Hope this answers your question mate. And yes I am not going to a uni myself, but I know a lot of alumni.
Last edited by WassupLadz; 4 weeks ago
usmaan124
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
This doesn't make sense. You can apply early (by 15th October, IIRC) with exams still to be taken noted. You can apply to all your choices then, or add the others later.

If I've understood this, you're talking purely about predicted grades. Do you not already meet the entry requirements with A*A*AA?

Could you explain how not applying to Oxford can strengthen your application for the others?

You will be going to a very good university - focus on preparing for that, and researching the courses, to decide your
Is it possible to apply for early entry and then have your predicted grades changed afterwards?
If so that’s just me not understanding UCAS lol
usmaan124
Rep:
?
(Original post by WassupLadz)
Nah, so im a year 12 and brown too : ).
SO the way I see it is like this. Being best at your subject - Oxbridge LSE for econ at least, or Only Oxbridge for pretty much every other subject.
Being good at your job/getting a job especially in finance as I have read --- Top uni (For econ --> LSE/OXford/Camb/UCLand Warwick) + good personality + experience.
SO in terms of employability ---> No effect.

Also your second question is very smart, but here is the simple answer. Unis can't see who else you have applied to, all they can see is whether you like the subject and will fit the subject (from Personal statement/interview/Entrance exams).

Edit: Hope this answers your question mate. And yes I am not going to a uni myself, but I know a lot of alumni.
Yeah that’s what I thought that’s why im thinking of allowing oxford and focusing on getting 4a* to maximise my chances of getting offers from lse/we/ucl bc with all the extra oxford prep tsa etc i don’t think ill be able to get 2 a* along with all that you get em?
usmaan124
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)

You will be going to a very good university - focus on preparing for that, and researching the courses, to decide your preference.
I think im a lot more likely to go up to 4a* without the prep needed for oxford and therefore in my head im appplyinf to oxford+others with a*a*aa or just the others with 4a* if that makes any sense
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is it possible to apply for early entry and then have your predicted grades changed afterwards?
If so that’s just me not understanding UCAS lol
No, it isn't:
(Original post by UCAS Advisor FAQ)
6. Can we add the predicted grades after sending the
application to UCAS?
You cannot add or change predicted grades or references
once they have been submitted to UCAS. If you want to
change a predicted grade or amend a reference, you need to
discuss this with the universities and colleges the student has
applied to.
However, I also assume that your A*A*AA predictions exceed the entry requirements for all your choices (they do for Oxford and LSE). That being the case, I would expect your reference to carry significant weight (except for Oxford).

Only you can decide if an Oxford application is worth the extra work. You also have the option of doing the TSA with less preparation.

I'd also talk to your teachers about your plans - communicating your motivation to improve may help with their predictions. If you do take the mocks in November, there are no guarantees.

Would you regret not applying to Oxford?
WassupLadz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah that’s what I thought that’s why im thinking of allowing oxford and focusing on getting 4a* to maximise my chances of getting offers from lse/we/ucl bc with all the extra oxford prep tsa etc i don’t think ill be able to get 2 a* along with all that you get em?
the thing is 4 a*s is only good for LSE and Oxford, at UCL and WW id say you would get an offer straight away with 2 A*s and 2 As. And Oxford don't really care about A levels more the interview and entrance, Whereas for LSE its more personal statement and A levels. So id say try to do both, because for both you have equally as low chances.
I'd say --> Get 1 A* in FM and over summer do a great personal statement and TSA prep. SO you have a good chance at both.
snow.fall15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ask your school to do a special mock just for you in September? Maybe if you really insist?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (106)
25.18%
Better than expected (88)
20.9%
Worse than expected (227)
53.92%

Watched Threads