Turn on thread page Beta

Imperial or Edinburgh for medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. Well i have almost reached to the stage where i am about to apply to universities and i was considering both as my choices. However, you are only offered four choices for medicine, therefore i was wandering which university would be suitable to study medicine at. In terms of :-
    - Academics
    - Teaching staff and learning facilities
    - Entry chances ( no Interview at edinburgh:confused: )
    - Social life
    - etc...
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    First of all we need to know your gcse grades and AS grades alongside what you have done in terms of work experience/volunteering to see your chances in terms of what they want.

ReputationRep:
    study medicine at any university that will accept you because all medicine-offering universities are very good

ReputationRep:
    Imperial

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh - i would apply there but it's too far away
    But Imperial is great too. In fact all medical schools are great..in fact why not just apply to both, save yourself the trouble of having to decide between them. Try not to let entry chances influence your decision, instead think more about trying to make your application stand out from the crowd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadExaminee)
    study medicine at any university that will accept you because all medicine-offering universities are very good
    EXACTLY. medicine isn't like other subjects (mostly) in terms of variation of course content and workload etc. it is very strictly controlled and you are going to get virtually the same training everywhere. where they differ is the clinical side and thats where Imperial and Kings have a massive advantage being the biggest medical centers in Europe. to be honest I would go entirely on the cities and the hospitals. Oxbridge are the weird ones regarding medicine courses.

ReputationRep:
    My best friends a med student....and quite honestly I can tell you now dear OP you won't have time to do much apart from the course! Personally out of Imperial and Edinburgh for such an intensive course I'd choose edinburgh, simply because it makes life easier further along your course, in terms of finding accommodation, transport to hospitals, transport around the city in general, money/cost of living (cause med students are broke for a very long time!).

But of course I can't really comment on medical courses....although I do know one girl who did medicine at imperial and hated it so much she dropped out before the end of term...citing living in london and the general atmosphere of the department as her main complaints....that's just one person though...loads others love it and you may too!

Best thing I can advise you to do is to go to open days, as well as spend a couple of days in the cities as well...it's the only way to get a feel of whether you'd be happy there....websites/prospectuses can give off a completely different impression than the university itself...

ReputationRep:
    [ please insert either: PC answer/ incorrect answer/ troll post/ mixture of 2 ]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 27, 2008

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.