Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenix287)
    Okay, lets get the ball rolling then! Do we need to start a separate thread for this or what??? I can think of at least 5 active users with 100+ posts off the top of my head right now.
    I'm not sure, but it'll probably be easier to make a new thread. I'm sure that there must be at least 10 of us, we'll just have to get some of them out of hiding :p:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in this thread, please reply to this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1006244
    I'm making a list so that we can (hopefully) get a sub forum

ReputationRep:
    i vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherbearbunnykins)
    I'm going into my third year of media and culture in September so if anyone has any questions about the course then fire away!

I do it with journalism but I'm majoring in media this year, have really enjoyed the course. If you are doing it single honours, you'll probably only find yourself timetabled for 2/3 days a week.

Anyway...I'm here if anyone needs to ask anything.

Can't wait to start back again and meet the new freshers! If you see me (my pic is on my profile) wandering around please say hello! hehe
    i'm doing it with english language
    what exactly are the units? what can i choose from? are there any projects like, creating things? like coursework? i love doing that sort of stuff. textual analysis? marketing?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Well it gets a bit more complicated for combined honours, have you not picked your modules yet then? As far as I know the main modules are still the same as when I did it and they are called:

"Mapping the field"; very theory based course, you'll think at first it's a little pointless but it taught me a lot! Not very practical as such but the 2 lecturers are really nice You have to do a logbook throughout the year for this one.

"Ways of Looking"; this module is pretty much like the one above however it looks at a lot advertising and we did a study on semiotics if I remember (it's been a while lol), again you have to do a logbook every week for the whole year for this (it gets quite draining)

"Media narratives"; this is the last complusory one and more based on the history of radio, film, television etc, no logbooks and more essay based and you get an exam at the end of the year (it's easy)

i have just checked and you definitely do these three modules in the first year...hope it helps! I think i was in 3 days a week for this subject

ReputationRep:
    p.s: you get to do more creative things in the second and third year, the first year is all about the theory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherbearbunnykins)
    I'm going into my third year of media and culture in September so if anyone has any questions about the course then fire away!
    Hey I was wondering what kind of things we do in the first year of the course? I am feeling quite nervous at the moment but hopefully that will pass when I have settled in xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naomiiiiii)
    yeah totally excited! i love studying haha -geek-
    Haha your not a geek I enjoy studying aswell! Especially media, I love that subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elvendork)

Is everyone on here living on campus? Or is anyone commuting?
    Hey I'm not taking history but I am living at home in my first year so will be commuting in. Are you commuting aswell? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuzieH)
    Hey I'm not taking history but I am living at home in my first year so will be commuting in. Are you commuting aswell? xx
    Yeah, I'm commuting Its nice to find someone else who is aswell! I'm commuting from Croydon, whereabouts you commuting from?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm commuting Its nice to find someone else who is aswell! I'm commuting from Croydon, whereabouts you commuting from?
    I know what you mean, it is nice to find someone else who is commuting I'm commuting from Wembley, so it will take me about an hour to get there so not too bad.. Are you looking forward to starting your course?

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, it is nice to find someone else who is commuting I'm commuting from Wembley, so it will take me about an hour to get there so not too bad.. Are you looking forward to starting your course?
    Next I just need to find someone who is doing my course, all of the History students seem to be hiding! :p:

My commute is going to be about an hour too (train and then walking), which as you said isn't too bad. I'm really looking forward to starting uni, it's going to be so much fun meeting new people and no longer having to do A Levels Are you looking forward to starting?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was wondering what kind of things we do in the first year of the course? I am feeling quite nervous at the moment but hopefully that will pass when I have settled in xx
    If you see my post which is two posts above you I have detailed all the modules you do Unfortunately you don't get much choice with what you study in the first year but you get more freedom in the second and third! It's a great course and you cover everything from film to advertising to television...I'm doing my dissertation on reality television this year!

Don't be nervous, everyone at Roehampton is lovely

ReputationRep:
    awesome! I'll be commuting too from Kilburn , shouldnt take too long thanks to the tube

ReputationRep:
    Got the welcome pack thingy today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FilthyYouth)
    Got the welcome pack thingy today
    what? you lucky so and so, my post doesnt come till 2pm :sigh:. Whats inside it?

ReputationRep:
    Random bits, details of what we have to do on the first day, a freshers flyer which allows us to send off for a freshers week pass (40 quid), lots of random bits of paper to be honest, im still flicking through it all :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FilthyYouth)
    Random bits, details of what we have to do on the first day, a freshers flyer which allows us to send off for a freshers week pass (40 quid), lots of random bits of paper to be honest, im still flicking through it all :eek:
    £40 :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: Thank god for student loans lool

ReputationRep:
    Send off for the freshers pass!! I know it's a lot but you won't get in anything without it, us 3rd years and 2nd years will have to miss out lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming from Mitcham

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 18, 2017

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.