mads_jennings
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I’ve deferred my uni offers to start in 2021, but if I miss my grades and have to sit the exams in autumn, will I have to reapply for next year? Or will my application just change if I get the result in autumn? I know most people don’t necessarily know yet - but if anyone has any ideas!!
Last edited by mads_jennings; 4 months ago
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mads_jennings)
So I’ve deferred my uni offers to start in 2021, but if I miss my grades and have to sit the exams in autumn, will I have to reapply for next year? Or will my application just change if I get the result in autumn? I know most people don’t necessarily know yet - but if anyone has any ideas!!
Unfortunately you will need to reapply if you miss the conditions. Deferring means you need to meet the academic conditions by August 2020.
mads_jennings
Rep:
?
(Original post by etienne26)
Unfortunately you will need to reapply if you miss the conditions. Deferring means you need to meet the academic conditions by August 2020.
that’s what I thought, but ucas couldn’t give me a straight answer and said to ask the universities when i asked earlier, so i didn’t know if it would be otherwise
Schnuckiboo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'd recommend to maybe check in with the unis still My main reason for doing the autumn exams would be that hopefully my uni is more likely to not make me reapply compared to if I was sitting the 2021 summer exams (and therefore it would effect places for prospective students). Doing them at the earliest possible date could mean that by the time they get your results, there'd still be plenty of time to decline/accept you while still interviewing/considering the cohort that year.

Bristol said on their website that you can use the autumn exams to fulfil the conditions of your offer, I feel like it would be a bit unfair to make you reapply when you've already been offered a deferred place.
mads_jennings
Rep:
?
(Original post by Schnuckiboo)
I'd recommend to maybe check in with the unis still My main reason for doing the autumn exams would be that hopefully my uni is more likely to not make me reapply compared to if I was sitting the 2021 summer exams (and therefore it would effect places for prospective students). Doing them at the earliest possible date could mean that by the time they get your results, there'd still be plenty of time to decline/accept you while still interviewing/considering the cohort that year.

Bristol said on their website that you can use the autumn exams to fulfil the conditions of your offer, I feel like it would be a bit unfair to make you reapply when you've already been offered a deferred place.
i’ve emailed both the universities i’ve applied for, but that’s interesting to know! thank you
Schnuckiboo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i’ve emailed both the universities i’ve applied for, but that’s interesting to know! thank you
No problem! Apart from the bit about Bristol, the rest is just my speculation for why I think it's a good idea to sit the autumn exams compared to the summer 2021, I don't know if some unis are classifying 2021 as a proper resit year because we'll have so much more time to study, and if they'll see the autumn exams as different and let you carry your offer but on a new deadline to meet the conditions.

Bristol never got back to my email when I asked about it but I assume the statement on their website means at least some people will be able to sit the autumn exams without reapplying, I'm currently writing a request for deferred entry to specify if I'd be able to defer if I had to sit the exams.

Best of luck for your results though!
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I feeling (and it is opinion, not fact) is that for a deferred entry, they'll take your final result, rather than the first attempt. I expect they'll take into consideration the situation we find ourselves in.

If you were to re-sit next summer it would be a different story, I'd imagine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed