[Debate] – How much of an issue is police brutality?

Watch
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Following the death of George Floyd in the United States there have been many protests both across the U.S and other countries, with a particular focus being on police brutality especially against black people and the race relations surrounding this.

Some of these Protests have spilled across to the U.K, some in the Black Lives Matter group have been calling for The police to be defunded (A slogan originating from the United States), with labour leader Kier Starmer criticising this slogan.

Only the other day in London, Team GB sprinter Bianca Williams was stopped and searched by the metropolitan police with her husband in which she was handcuffed. In the incident the police pulled over Williams and her husband and it is claimed by Williams this was due to racial profiling. Although an investigation found no misconduct by the officers, met chief Cressida **** apologised for the distress thr stop and search caused and is launching a review into the use of handcuffs and force.

Do we think the police are too brutal in the U.K and U.S (feel free to mention other countries),is there an issue with racism within police actions and profiling suspects in stop and search?
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've gotta say it doesn't look like those police officers did anything wrong in that situation. Unfortunate that the police are so quick to waste resources on a review that will presumably achieve nothing.

Otherwise, I've only heard of a few serious examples of police brutality in Britain over the past few decades and they're normally dealt with pretty well.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cressida Diсk shouldn't bend the knee (no pun intended) and call for a review purely to appease the mob. The IOPC found the officers hadn't racially profiled her and she was speeding on the wrong side of the road, so it does seem like a justified stop and search.

If anyone can point to an example of police brutality in the UK that the IOPC considers brutality, or any institutional racism* post-Macpherson, I'd love to see it.

* no, stop and search totals don't count
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Police brutality is not a widespread issue. Disproportionate stop and searches has statistics behind it. For stop and search to be effective the most risky groups need to be searched.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can't say i'm aware of any convincing statistics to show the British police have any sort of problem with "brutality", putting someone in handcuffs who is being arrested or being belligerent hardly counting.
Stop and search being somewhat more iffy, still ipso facto not being an issue of 'brutality' though, it does seem to boil down to the rather inconvenient truth that there doesn't tend to be any smoke without fire in such instances though. If the ploddies are doing stop and search in, say, Tower Hamlets/Lewisham/Southwark et al. it's hardly surprising or 'racist' for that matter that they're going to end up with a higher proportion of ethnics being fished.

As for Williams? It would appear she needs to check her privilege :rolleyes:
Cabin19
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The police do have to stop and search people. It's unfortunate but it is true statistically the minority in these ethnic groups make up the magority of major crime in Britian. So police are more suspicious with these ethnicity thus are more likely to be stopped and searched than a white person. It's not right the police judge people based on ethnicity but they are out to spot crime at the end of the day.
Last edited by Cabin19; 4 weeks ago
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is no police brutality in Britain. The noble aims of racial equality in the BLM movement have ultimately been hijacked by an extreme left political fringe group (Antifa and other anarcho-communists) which has led to the proliferation of utterly insane slogans like “defund the police” and nonsense like the “CHOP” autonomous zone in Seattle.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As alluded to above i don't believe that police brutality is a particular issue in the UK and nor do i have a problem with stop and search. Despite making up ~14% of the UK population, immigrants/BAME people make up more than 27% of the prison population (essentially because they are more likely to be poor relative to the native population). I am far more concerned at police outcomes than i am pandering to people who think that racial profiling is a bad thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (213)
60.34%
No they should not (102)
28.9%
Abstain (38)
10.76%

Watched Threads