The Student Room Group

Help with A Level Politics

Hi, i'm a year 12, going into year 13 student in September and since the start of year 12, i have been struggling with A Level politics. the exam board is Edexcel. The previous students from my school told me that politics is that subject which will begin to make sense by the end of year 12 so if i was confused, i shouldn't panic and give the course some time. But, now i'm still confused and discussed it with my teachers who advised me to seek help here. i've done everything i could in terms of revision but yet nothing makes sense. please suggests ways of my revising the course effectively through summer so i can go into year 13 prepared. My target for my final grade is at least a B or above. Thank you
Original post by eshaanwar04
Hi, i'm a year 12, going into year 13 student in September and since the start of year 12, i have been struggling with A Level politics. the exam board is Edexcel. The previous students from my school told me that politics is that subject which will begin to make sense by the end of year 12 so if i was confused, i shouldn't panic and give the course some time. But, now i'm still confused and discussed it with my teachers who advised me to seek help here. i've done everything i could in terms of revision but yet nothing makes sense. please suggests ways of my revising the course effectively through summer so i can go into year 13 prepared. My target for my final grade is at least a B or above. Thank you

First thing I would recommend is watching Jack Edward's video about getting there A*s in which he talks about the way he revised for A Level Politics, Eve Bennett I think also has a video about how to revise for it because she did AS politics back in 2017. Secondly, go through your notes and see which topics you found easier and the ones you found more difficult. When revising this summer (assuming you are) spend longer on the subjects in Politics which you find trickier and treat yourself to the ones you find easy and interesting. Other things that help, try and keep up with current affairs, get a subscription to a broadsheet newspaper rather than reading free online nonsense etc. When you come to the second to last week in the summer, if you feel like you have revised sufficiently enough, try and do a past paper and test yourself against the clock, then either email it to your teacher or give it to them to mark at the start of term.
Although I'm not taking politics myself, I am taking history and the revision methods, from what my friends have told me, are very similar. Try making revision cards and the ones you know you revise from less frequently than the ones you are confident with, try reading out loud your textbook and listening back to it, try and explain it to a friend or family member who has no previous knowledge. I know that politics is an entirely exam based subject, there is no coursework like there is in history, so maybe just keep practising exam questions with a mark scheme in front of you.
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by GillisRobbieWGS
First thing I would recommend is watching Jack Edward's video about getting there A*s in which he talks about the way he revised for A Level Politics, Eve Bennett I think also has a video about how to revise for it because she did AS politics back in 2017. Secondly, go through your notes and see which topics you found easier and the ones you found more difficult. When revising this summer (assuming you are) spend longer on the subjects in Politics which you find trickier and treat yourself to the ones you find easy and interesting. Other things that help, try and keep up with current affairs, get a subscription to a broadsheet newspaper rather than reading free online nonsense etc. When you come to the second to last week in the summer, if you feel like you have revised sufficiently enough, try and do a past paper and test yourself against the clock, then either email it to your teacher or give it to them to mark at the start of term.
Although I'm not taking politics myself, I am taking history and the revision methods, from what my friends have told me, are very similar. Try making revision cards and the ones you know you revise from less frequently than the ones you are confident with, try reading out loud your textbook and listening back to it, try and explain it to a friend or family member who has no previous knowledge. I know that politics is an entirely exam based subject, there is no coursework like there is in history, so maybe just keep practising exam questions with a mark scheme in front of you.
Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, i will try it out and let you know how that goes.
Esha

Quick Reply

Latest