Liverpool or Edinburgh for History? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cate15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm torn between the two unis.
Both seem like great citys and are easy for me to get home from.
So which uni would generally have the better reputation and degree prospects.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say Edinburgh; not only is it a fantastic city but the university is also brilliant. Plus, Edinburgh is a more highly regarded university...
Tomber
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which area of history?
Cate15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomber)
Which area of history?
V100 - just straight history.
Tomber
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cate15)
V100 - just straight history.
Sorry, which area of history are you interested in studying? Both departments have considerable strengths
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not going to tackle this from the angle of reputation and degree prospects for now. Edinburgh is an ancient Scottish university, so you'd be studying under the Scottish system. This means that you'd do a 4 year Masters degree (which is basically equivalent to the BA). In your first two years you'd study two other subjects alongside History. The latter two years are Honours, and are what counts towards your degree. You can, if you wish, change your degree before third year. The Scottish system is more flexible than the English system and allows you to study a wider range of subjects at degree level. However, this could also be seen as bad - you may not want a degree that lasts 4 years, and some people aren't keen on studying outside subjects. Liverpool is, of course, different to this. Your course would last 3 years and you'd come out with a BA. I'm not sure about studying outside modules there as I haven't looked into the course, it may be something you want to look into. Also, check out the degree programmes - which university has the programme you are most interested in? Both Edinburgh and Liverpool are good universities and, if I were you, I would not base my decision solely on reputation and degree prospects. You have to decide which university is right for you and has the right course for you, and only you can make this decision.

[Apologies if any of the above is incorrect :o:]
Cate15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomber)
Sorry, which area of history are you interested in studying? Both departments have considerable strengths
I do prefer medieval history. I'd rather concentrate on that than modern history but i'm still really interested in modern history. I coudl throw myself into anything.
Tomber
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cate15)
I do prefer medieval history. I'd rather concentrate on that than modern history but i'm still really interested in modern history. I coudl throw myself into anything.
Super Medieval history is the way forward.

Both departments have strengths in medieval history, Liverpool have had Pauline Stafford - an extremely influential medievalist, teaching there for a long time - I think she has retired now though. As an easy rule - any department with a research centre on the area you are interested in will have good undergraduate provision for that subject (not that departments without dedicated ressearch centres are without expertise). Liverpool has, for example, a centre for medieval studies and Edinburgh a, as is the current historical vogue, a 'centre for diaspora studies'. I have to say that I really do like the look of some of the research going on at Liverpool at the moment, particularly that of Marios Costambeys (which I hadn't heard about till looking for this thread - thanks ) As a wider ranging medieval studies department, I think Liverpool takes it (for medieval studies in Scotland, nowhere competes with St Andrews) Both departments however seem a little weak on my own research area, early Anglo Saxon England but I'm sure you'd be able to persue early med british history in either of them quite comfortably.

Really though, any differences are splitting hairs, they are both large departments, and will afford you loads of opportunities to study very broadly, look carefully at the course structure and assessment, and also at the library facilities availible. Don't worry too much about 'degree prospects' or anything, as nebulous as those, they will be comparable from any decent department.

That was a little rambling, I'm rather tired and need to go to bed I think.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (115)
26.38%
No (321)
73.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise