sassy sausages
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm stuck between 2 options for what sixth form I go to. I want to go into medicine. Friends are going to a totally different sixth form- going to a sixth form college
Option A:
pros:
It's where I go to now/ attached to my secondary school
I know the teachers and they know me- know what I'm capable of
Know some people going but aren't friends with them
Easy to get there
Can leave site during frees- don't plan on but will sometimes
Dress code isn't as strict and are more lenient
New building being built and will move in for yr13
Still support medicine but don't think they do as much as option B
Currently doing this bridging material as this is my first choice- tho it's like 50/50 split as to which I go to
Like the 2 "optional" psychology choices school has chosen

cons:
No new start
Is lower down on the attainment 8 score thing- 14th
New building- disruption?
No school trips whatsoever that I know of
My year would be full of chavs- I don't mix with them

Option B:
pros:
Suited for medicine- have a medicine pathway
In top 25% of sixth forms/ higher up on attainment 8 score- 11th
New start
New friends
New building/ modern facilities
School trips

cons:
Have to get bus there- paying
Don't know teachers or building- anxiety will heighten dramatically
Can only leave for lunch
Strict dress code
The teachers i met on the open day i din't rly like- if i don't like teacher it makes it hard for me to enjoy the subject
Extra bridging material to do
Not as keen on the 2 "optional" psychology choices the school has chosen

This may get edited when I can think of more. Just looking for help as I really can't decide which one to go to.
Last edited by sassy sausages; 3 weeks ago
Evidza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
B
If you don't like it you can probably move back to your old school (before half term). Harder the other way round I'd imagine.
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evidza)
B
If you don't like it you can probably move back to your old school (before half term). Harder the other way round I'd imagine.
I was thinking of maybe doing that but I fear of having a panic attack on the first day and about getting the bus there.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
B people will help you out with getting around. Your teacher will get to know you in the two years you will be learning from them
devilsbreakfast
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sassy sausages)
I was thinking of maybe doing that but I fear of having a panic attack on the first day and about getting the bus there.
Would there be any possibility of someone you know getting the bus with you if it’s a public bus? I don’t know what sort of thing would make you feel more at ease but planning and checking the bus times and route and knowing exactly what to expect may help too. Sorry I’m just writing stuff as I think of it hope it’s a little helpful. If it’s a public bus could you do the same bus journey before your first day so that part of your day is less stressful because you know what to expect, if that is anxiety inducing perhaps doing it a first time with a friend, then again on your own before your first day. Oh so I’ve just re-read your reply and your worry wasn’t about having a panic attack on the bus so this is probably so unhelpful but in case it’s acc not I’ll post it anyway lol. Going to the new school I’m assuming that they may be aware of your mental health (the school I’m going to had a section on the admission form where you could let them know of any relevant information regarding so they already have an idea but I don’t know if yours was the same); if they don’t already have some idea you could email the pastoral team- this may seem like overkill but it also might help you feel less stressed if you know there’s a place for you to go or people who know this is a possibility for you. Ummm Idk if this is useful sorry but hope wherever u go ur all good and enjoy it! xx (also I do think school B too)
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
(Original post by devilsbreakfast)
Would there be any possibility of someone you know getting the bus with you if it’s a public bus? I don’t know what sort of thing would make you feel more at ease but planning and checking the bus times and route and knowing exactly what to expect may help too. Sorry I’m just writing stuff as I think of it hope it’s a little helpful. If it’s a public bus could you do the same bus journey before your first day so that part of your day is less stressful because you know what to expect, if that is anxiety inducing perhaps doing it a first time with a friend, then again on your own before your first day. Oh so I’ve just re-read your reply and your worry wasn’t about having a panic attack on the bus so this is probably so unhelpful but in case it’s acc not I’ll post it anyway lol. Going to the new school I’m assuming that they may be aware of your mental health (the school I’m going to had a section on the admission form where you could let them know of any relevant information regarding so they already have an idea but I don’t know if yours was the same); if they don’t already have some idea you could email the pastoral team- this may seem like overkill but it also might help you feel less stressed if you know there’s a place for you to go or people who know this is a possibility for you. Ummm Idk if this is useful sorry but hope wherever u go ur all good and enjoy it! xx (also I do think school B too)
maybe should've noted it's a school bus but i can get a pubic bus if i miss it i believe. the only person i know there is in the year above and they showed me where the bus stop was for getting on and off. They don't know about me having some form of anxiety and panic attacks/mental breakdowns- they are rare but when i get overwhelmed with anything I do tend to have a panic attack. Thx for the help
Last edited by sassy sausages; 3 weeks ago
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
Another thing what my mum said- I'm not making my decision based off this but it's worth keeping in the back of my mind/noted. "If you go to option A you will hopefully stand out more- in a good way- whereas if you go to option B you will blend in more" I also feel that if I go to option B I may feel "dumb" if that makes sense.
Evidza
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you been doing anything for the anxiety, like CBT? There'll be other coping strategies you can learn too. Also, the teachers you met on the open day may not be the ones who will teach you if you chose B.

Is there no option C? What do you actually want, yourself?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd choose A in your shoes. Saves a bus journey, you usually make different friends in sixth form in any case, and less strict dress code.
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
Have you been doing anything for the anxiety, like CBT? There'll be other coping strategies you can learn too. Also, the teachers you met on the open day may not be the ones who will teach you if you chose B.

Is there no option C? What do you actually want, yourself?
It's not diagnosed anxiety- I am a timid person and I think I have some/ abit of anxiety- I'm not self diagnosing I think it's more than naturally what people have if that makes any sense. A friend has said to me "I think you might have hidden social issues". I know the teachers I saw might not be the ones who take me but it's still a possibility. There is no option C and I want what will help me get into medicine really.
Evidza
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay well I think you are on the right track thinking about your options. Perhaps you could visit both schools' websites and see how their sixth form runs on a daily basis?

It's natural to think about making the best possible choice and I'm sure, given the thought you are putting in, that that's just what you will make. Good luck!
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
Okay well I think you are on the right track thinking about your options. Perhaps you could visit both schools' websites and see how their sixth form runs on a daily basis?

It's natural to think about making the best possible choice and I'm sure, given the thought you are putting in, that that's just what you will make. Good luck!
Awww thank you. One thing I wanna avoid doing is going to Option B and then transferring back to option A but this is really stressing me out as I want to make the right choice first time
Yas031119
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
option b because i'm in the exact same position/scenario
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yas031119)
option b because i'm in the exact same position/scenario
Glad there's someone who can relate
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm stuck between 2 options for what sixth form I go to. I want to go into medicine.
Option A:
pros:
It's where I go to now/ attached to my secondary school
I know the teachers and they know me- know what I'm capable of
Know some people going but aren't friends with them
Easy to get there
Can leave site during frees- don't plan on but will sometimes
Dress code isn't as strict and are more lenient
New building being built and will move in for yr13
Still support medicine but don't think they do as much as option B
Currently doing this bridging material as this is my first choice- tho it's like 50/50 split as to which I go to
Like the 2 "optional" psychology choices school has chosen

cons:
No new start
Is lower down on the attainment 8 score thing- 14th
New building- disruption?
No school trips whatsoever that I know of

Option B:
pros:
Suited for medicine- have a medicine pathway
In top 25% of sixth forms/ higher up on attainment 8 score- 11th
New start
New friends
New building/ modern facilities
School trips

cons:
Have to get bus there- paying
Don't know teachers or building- anxiety will heighten dramatically
Can only leave for lunch
Strict dress code
The teachers i met on the open day i din't rly like- if i don't like teacher it makes it hard for me to enjoy the subject
Extra bridging material to do
Not as keen on the 2 "optional" psychology choices the school has chosen

This may get edited when I can think of more. Just looking for help as I really can't decide which one to go to.
Id go with option B, there is also no reason why you have to lose your current friends, look at this as an opportunity to find more mates.
A-levels will feel tedious wherever you go, however the reality is if you want to look at medicine or any other competitive career/uni getting the best possible A-level marks is the best step.
sassy sausages
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Id go with option B, there is also no reason why you have to lose your current friends, look at this as an opportunity to find more mates.
A-levels will feel tedious wherever you go, however the reality is if you want to look at medicine or any other competitive career/uni getting the best possible A-level marks is the best step.
I know both schools offer support but with option A being my current school- it might give a bit less support than option B but I'd be more comfortable around people there as I know people but aren't friends with- most of my year is chavy and I don't hang around them. And atm would be more comfortable talking to the teachers/ sixth form pastoral as I know them better and are more open with people I know. This probs doesn't make much sense and thanks for the help
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Attainment 8 tells you about GCSE results - that's not the best measure to look at for A level. Compare the individual subject results and the progress measure for Sixth forms.

Look up that data - PM me if you have no idea how to find it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (198)
38.98%
Take autumn exams (154)
30.31%
Look for a job (17)
3.35%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.13%
Take a year out (88)
17.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.91%

Watched Threads