The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on household based maintenance loan???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mesopotamian.
I see your point, but my last point still stands.

The idea of ‘poorer’ students being entitled to extra maintenance loan stems from the fact that whilst a middle class student for example, would be able to afford at least money to commute to their university, or buy a set of books and stationary or whatever small expenses it may be, a ‘poorer’ student would not be able to afford even that (and if a middle class student couldn’t afford small expenses then I’d hardly count them as middle class).

It's not so much the can't afford its the side of having to ask your parents for money to pay for your bills, food, everything really and then feeling guilty about it.
I think it'd be better to offer the max loan to all students
The ones that end up in the worst position are those who live with one parent who enters a new relationship with someone with a decent income. People don't realise how the household income calculation works.
Original post by Anonymous
It's not so much the can't afford its the side of having to ask your parents for money to pay for your bills, food, everything really and then feeling guilty about it.
I think it'd be better to offer the max loan to all students

I understand where you’re coming from but you could just get a part-time job? Poorer students have to get jobs too, it’s not like they have everything covered.
yeah a debate but you're simply saying they should with no reasoning if you get what I mean.

Charging greater interests on the loan would ensure that only those who absolutely need it will use it, and theres no real evidence saying the country cant afford that

Oh get off Anonymous if you are so sure that what you are saying makes sense, which it doesn't by the way. No real evidence that the country is short of money and about to be even more so?
Original post by 999tigger
Isnt that because its the responsibility of the parents who earn more and can choose whether to spend it on children or not?

how can that be a responsibility, with that logic you people could argue that its parents fault for not earning enough and hence there should be no help given to the student.
I think the student should be treated as an adult and independent of their parents income
Reply 25
I understand where you’re coming from but you could just get a part-time job? Poorer students have to get jobs too, it’s not like they have everything covered.

a part time job to cover like 4k in costs though, seems like a bit of stretch. Like I get why it's graded and I kinda agree with it, but it does leave a bunch of people out. Dunno, maybe there should be another loan with higher interests/have to pay back sooner etc. which people with higher household incomes can take to supplement hte existing maintenance loan
how is that possibly fair, I'm not saying take away money from those who need it. I'm simply suggesting offer the maximum maintenance loan to all students so those in the middle can take what they need without having a financial burden to their parents.
The attitude that just because your parents can pay for it they should is simply wrong imo

Because they earn much more.
You go to private school. How much a year is that?
Why do your parents send you to private schools?
Your parents can do that because they have the income and choice where to spend it.
Poorer people have no choice and end up going to some very poor state schools.
well they cant, private schools offer scholarships and discounts. I don't see why everyone is so against it?
Its not my money its my parents and therefore surely I should be allowed to have that choice on receiving the full maintenance loan because right now my loan doesn't even cover my accommodation, and the maintenance loan is supposed to cover both accommodation and living costs -.-

People who get scholarships to private schools etc will generally have parents who earn less than the typical private school student, so their maintenance loan will be higher. It’s got nothing to do with what type of school you got to
Original post by harrysbar
Oh get off Anonymous if you are so sure that what you are saying makes sense, which it doesn't by the way. No real evidence that the country is short of money and about to be even more so?

I dont think student loans would have that sort of negative impact to the economy immediately, the more concerning aspect is how many people don't end up paying their loans and create more unpaid debt.
I dont think student loans would have that sort of negative impact to the economy immediately, the more concerning aspect is how many people don't end up paying their loans and create more unpaid debt.

I hope you're not studying Economics at uni
Money well spent
Original post by 999tigger
Because they earn much more.
You go to private school. How much a year is that?
Why do your parents send you to private schools?
Your parents can do that because they have the income and choice where to spend it.
Poorer people have no choice and end up going to some very poor state schools.

Again I had a scholarship,
Those less unfortunate kids get the max maintenance loan and that is completely fine,
Im arguing that it should be offered to ALL students so they dont have to be a financial burden to their parents
I think they should take in to account parent earnings because not everyone’s privileged enough for their parents to bail them out when they’re struggling with money. However, I think Maintenance loans should be based on the area and the cost of living within that area. If your parents are already well off, they should be helping out to some extent whilst under privileged students don’t have the same chance for their parents to help them out. They don’t live a better life, it’s so difficult with no money so that maintenance loan is probably the best for those with parents that don’t earn enough
Original post by BrDy
a part time job to cover like 4k in costs though, seems like a bit of stretch. Like I get why it's graded and I kinda agree with it, but it does leave a bunch of people out. Dunno, maybe there should be another loan with higher interests/have to pay back sooner etc. which people with higher household incomes can take to supplement hte existing maintenance loan

Sure, but now you’re just assuming that ‘poorer’ students don’t have to cover a gap in costs too.

For example, let’s say a middle class student has recently been given a lovely new laptop from their parents as a gift for getting amazing A Level grades (or just because richer people generally can afford newer gadgets) which is absolutely fine.

Then you have the poorer student whose been struggling on a 7 year old laptop which is half way through the doors of death.
So when the maintenance loan comes through, the poorer student might get a bit more, but that extra money is essentially going to be used to get the basics that the middle class student already has (in this very, very basic example, that would be buying a new laptop that could adequately function for universities purposes).
This is why the maintenance loan is graded. The poorer students aren’t being given an advantage, they’re simply being put on a level playing field.
Original post by harrysbar
I hope you're not studying Economics at uni

thanks for the insult :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
People who get scholarships to private schools etc will generally have parents who earn less than the typical private school student, so their maintenance loan will be higher. It’s got nothing to do with what type of school you got to

yes but many still cant even cover their accommodation and so the parents have to pay for the accommodation and living expenses which surely isn't right, especially to those in the middle
Sure, but now you’re just assuming that ‘poorer’ students don’t have to cover a gap in costs too.

For example, let’s say a middle class student has recently been given a lovely new laptop from their parents as a gift for getting amazing A Level grades (or just because richer people generally can afford newer gadgets) which is absolutely fine.

Then you have the poorer student whose been struggling on a 7 year old laptop which is half way through the doors of death.
So when the maintenance loan comes through, the poorer student might get a bit more, but that extra money is essentially going to be used to get the basics that the middle class student already has (in this very, very basic example, that would be buying a new laptop that could adequately function for universities purposes).
This is why the maintenance loan is graded. The poorer students aren’t being given an advantage, they’re simply being put on a level playing field.

I agree with that but the way its set up, I think it gives a disadvantage to those in the middle who aren't rich enough to fully support their child, and not poor enough to get the max maintenance loan, hence the gap tends to have a greater financial burden on these types of families.
Again I had a scholarship,
Those less unfortunate kids get the max maintenance loan and that is completely fine,
Im arguing that it should be offered to ALL students so they dont have to be a financial burden to their parents

But the point is you have a big advantage over some students. You said your parents pay £5000 accommodation and then maintenance on top.
I thought it was the Cons who increased fees to £9k?
Perhaps the country is broke enough as it is and wants to try and support either the most needy or those at the bottom of the pile to improve social mobility?
Reply 38

I mean I get that, and I'm not saying middle class people have it wayy harder, obviously not. Thing is, with uni grants and max loan you can get like 9/10k from uni, even without parental help during term time and no job, that's a decent bit of money to help get you through uni (Personally I'm entitled to the max amount from SF and also uni busaries) and then with a job like, it's not hella easy, but you could be better set than someone who on paper is richer than you. Especially if they have more siblings, or parents who believe in self sufficiency.

I do get that obviously, yeah some parents are not able to help out and therefore all has to come from grants/loans and like I mostly agree with t he system. I just think there needs to be better provision for those in the middle, especially those who have parents who can technically afford it, but aren't willing. Those people are really gonna struggle to make up costs with a part time job when they're getting like 4k less in loans than their peers, but their parents are still unwilling
I think a wider issue is that some parents don't want to pay for their child to go to uni but the student can't classify themselves as independent. That leads to possibly getting the least maintenence loan of £4000 but most accommodation alone in 1st year is more than that. Students who are eligible for the highest maintenance are also eligible for bursaries to help yet student who receive no help from parents are not. What happens to those people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending