Is it normal to be a virgin in uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im an 18 year old male and Ive always kind of been disinterested in any sort of relationship. You know how in primary school nobody is interested in a relationship and then in comprehensive school as you get older and older gradually people get more and more open to relationshios and by the time you get to like 14 or 15 it is just the norm? I dont really kniw why but Ive always thought that any relationship before the age of 15 is just stupid as they never last. (At least the vast majority dont) and Ive always thought Im not gonna even think about a relationship until I am in university. I kind of regret having that mentality because now I have finished year 13 and have literally no experience whatsoever with a girl - in any way. My question is will it be a bit weird that I will be in university, a virgin, never kissed a girl and never even been on a date with a girl. Like most 13 year olds have more experience with girls than me. Do you think that that will seem really weird to people? Whats more is that seeing as I have never asked a girl out I am likely going to be very poor at opening conversations with girls and anything in that sort of area. I always thought I was a step ahead by not getting involved in those silly relationships people have when they are like 13 but now I realise that if I did get into a relationshio from a younger age I would be way more confident with girls. My two best friends have both lost their virginity in the last year and Im just starting to feel a little insecure about how I havent even come close. Im 18 now, if im in the same position after my first year at uni I could 20 and still a virgin. And to be quite honest I am a bit jealous how I havent even been close to experiencing what they have and they have both been in long term relationships. I was talking to them both earlier and really do feel a little less grown up than them, I know I shouldnt, but I do. I feel like im missing out. Does anyone have any reassurance/advice for me? Thanks
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m sure it’s very common. You shouldn’t want to lose your virginity because of what your friends have done. Are you ready?
saad-ak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It completely is normal. I'm a 24-year-old and still a virgin (religious reason). Never get into any pressure and force something, cause You'll want your first time with someone to be special. Just cause everyone is doing it doesn't make the people not doing it lame or bad.
AM.TSR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, it's perfectly normal. It sounds like you're overthinking things tbh.
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is it normal to breathe?

That's your answer
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Quite common.

A lot of people enter uni as virgins and although many lose it during the 3/4 years there (usually during 1st year), I know a few people who graduated with their virginity intact.

When you get an opportunity and feel like taking it, do it. If it doesn't feel right then wait till you get to know someone a little better before having sex.
ecomhero
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lots of virgins at uni. Over 10% of people between 20-24 are still virgins. I'm 20 years old and I'm still a virgin even though I have a girlfriend.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It was normal in 1930's in Germany to support Hitler. Do you really think that normality is any good measure?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ll be 19 or 20 and probably a virgin when I start uni
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, it's normal.

It's sad that so many young people worry about this
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecomhero)
Lots of virgins at uni. Over 10% of people between 20-24 are still virgins. I'm 20 years old and I'm still a virgin even though I have a girlfriend.
Does your gf not want to have sex?
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecomhero)
I read that 67% of people have had sex before their 18th birthday
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are a virgin by the time you start university, you will be very far from the only one.

If you are a virgin by the time you leave university, you will be far from the only one.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you are a virgin by the time you start university, you will be very far from the only one.

If you are a virgin by the time you leave university, you will be far from the only one.
That’s reassuring for me
Yes I’m hoping to have a lot of sexual intercourse during my time at university
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
It was normal in 1930's in Germany to support Hitler. Do you really think that normality is any good measure?
In the first round of the 1932 German presidential election, Hitler got 30.1% of the vote, whilst Hindenberg got 49.6%.
In the second round, Hitler got 36.8% and Hindenburg got 53.6%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932_G...ntial_election

In the 1933 Federal elections, the Nazi Party won 43.9% of the votes (on a turnout of 88.7% of the poulation).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_...deral_election

In 1930's Germany it was more normal to support Paul Von Hindenberg. And it was more normal to support some other party or to not vote.

Which is of relevance to the OP in ilustrating that sometimes what is regarded as normal isn't as normal as one might suppose.

Watch out for propaganda and people saying all sort of things that are untrue or are an exageration or distortion of the truth. The world of sex and dating is full of self appointed experts giving poor to mediocre advice.

And when it comes to you lacking experience with women, your attitude is more important than your experience at this stage of your life.

Best attitude to take:
Be brave.
Be willing to learn.
Stay as clear headed as you can.
Treat women as equal human beings to yourself.
Stay positive.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
In 1930's Germany it was more normal to support Paul Von Hindenberg. And it was more normal to support some other party or to not vote.
Fair point, but mine was that even if everyone except you do differently, it doesn't mean they do right or good.
ecomhero
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does your gf not want to have sex?
We do want to but we couldn't because we had to leave university due to covid 19 pandemic and she had to go back home to her country. I am seeing her again in September though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise