Why do some Medicine students think they are above others doing different subjects?

Watch
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Why do some Medicine students think they are above others who are doing different subjects?
Dexter345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably because it’s one of the hardest courses to get into (I’m not a med student btw lol)
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dexter345)
Probably because it’s one of the hardest courses to get into (I’m not a med student btw lol)
So what? Virtually every course at Oxbridge, Durham, St Andrews, LSE, Imperial, UCL is hard to get into.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
Why do some Medicine students think they are above others who are doing different subjects?
£5 says you're an engineering student. These sorts of threads are always made by engineering students.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
£5 says you're an engineering student. These sorts of threads are always made by engineering students.
You have just lost your £5 - a charity donation of your choice please. I am a Biology PhD student.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You have just lost your £5 - a charity donation of your choice please. I am a Biology PhD student.
I was crossing my fingers. In the future I shall say "these sorts of threads are always made by engineering students OR biology PhD students" :smug:

In answer to your question: I don't really know. Maybe you've just met some annoying medical students? Maybe they were trying to rustle your jimmies? Perhaps medical students are a diverse group of people and some have poor social skills. We may never know. Why does it matter though?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
because no matter where you go for medicine, it's a hard degree. there's no such thing as an easy medical degree in the UK.

because there is a hierarchy of degrees as much as there is a hierarchy of schools. who says a medical degree at Brighton isn't worth more than a theology degree at Cambridge?

because med students take considerable amount of pride in their degree, as the process of becoming an MD is long and requires a lot of effort. maybe more work than that degree at Cambridge?

because some students will always think they are above others no matter what subject they are studying, including chemistry, economics, engineering, maths, law, social work or pharmacy. depends how you were raised, who you're comparing yourself with, if it even matters to you at all. tbh i've only had one good friend in med school and quite obviously he did not think he was 'above' me, at all; in fact, he was quite interested in the work i was doing dispute not having anything to do with medicine. why do you think some med students look down on other subjects?
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
same reason why some STEM students think they are above everyone else
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
because no matter where you go for medicine, it's a hard degree. there's no such thing as an easy medical degree in the UK.

because there is a hierarchy of degrees as much as there is a hierarchy of schools. who says a medical degree at Brighton isn't worth more than a theology degree at Cambridge?

because med students take considerable amount of pride in their degree, as the process of becoming an MD is long and requires a lot of effort. maybe more work than that degree at Cambridge?

because some students will always think they are above others no matter what subject they are studying, including chemistry, economics, engineering, maths, law, social work or pharmacy. depends how you were raised, who you're comparing yourself with, if it even matters to you at all. tbh i've only had one good friend in med school and quite obviously he did not think he was 'above' me, at all; in fact, he was quite interested in the work i was doing dispute not having anything to do with medicine. why do you think some med students look down on other subjects?
I encountered a lot of snobbery when doing my MSc at UCL, thanks to a few medical students who were intercalating and thus were on the same course. I think it is down to immaturity, arrogance and sheer ignorance. The irony was these tw*ts had lots of help with finances via rich parents. Up until now, they have never even worked, and the only thing they know is studying.

I cannot stand students who potray a serpent like personality, which is toxic and narcisstic.
Last edited by StarLinyx; 3 weeks ago
gabostrk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's normal for people to desire putting themselves above others. Studying medicine is a good opportunity to be abused by that desire, as it's clear that many people look up to doctors and know that they're necessary in a well-working society. However, it depends on the person on how he ventures this desire, not the degree.
Libbyc16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
probs because they lowkey are, if i did medicine id flex it to everyone
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
These man need to relax and get off they’re high horse if they’re bragging about doing medicine.

Wow you go to medical school - well done, but you’re not a big man.

If you’re a doctor or do medicine your salary isn’t as high as other jobs anyway..
beccamadeleinex
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So what? Virtually every course at Oxbridge, Durham, St Andrews, LSE, Imperial, UCL is hard to get into.
Can’t speak for the other universities , but I knew some people who definitely didn’t get all As and yet got good offers from St. Andrews , so it’s not as hard to get into as people make out.
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Erm... Let me think:-

1) Because it's recognised as the most prestigious subject on the planet, perhaps?
2) Because it's what they believe they were born to do (you don't just flick through prospectus and decide to study medicine)
3) Because once you qualify, it's a job / profession for life (people will always need Drs, cause people will always get ill, injured etc.)
4) Because once you qualify, it's also a decent salary (a Locum (basically the Dr's equivalent of a temp) is probably the lowest, and they still make at least about £50k pa).
5) Because it's one of the hardest courses to get into; no one will consider you unless you've got an A in Chemistry (that's only because it's considered the hardest A level). Even Oxbridge will make things easier for people with "certain skills",
6) They've probably always been (one of) the brightest kids in all their school / college classes; and were very much the "go-to" people whenever their classmates didn't understand something and were too shy / embarrassed to ask the teacher.

That's just a few off the top of my head, (and I'm not a med student, for the record)
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
Erm... Let me think:-

1) Because it's recognised as the most prestigious subject on the planet, perhaps?
2) Because it's what they believe they were born to do (you don't just flick through prospectus and decide to study medicine)
3) Because once you qualify, it's a job / profession for life (people will always need Drs, cause people will always get ill, injured etc.)
4) Because once you qualify, it's also a decent salary (a Locum (basically the Dr's equivalent of a temp) is probably the lowest, and they still make at least about £50k pa).
5) Because it's one of the hardest courses to get into; no one will consider you unless you've got an A in Chemistry (that's only because it's considered the hardest A level). Even Oxbridge will make things easier for people with "certain skills",
6) They've probably always been (one of) the brightest kids in all their school / college classes; and were very much the "go-to" people whenever their classmates didn't understand something and were too shy / embarrassed to ask the teacher.

That's just a few off the top of my head, (and I'm not a med student, for the record)
Veterinary Medicine is more highly regarded than Medicine, and I have found that some of the most gifted students of all actually do subjects like Maths, Physics and Economics, and end up earning much, much more in the City in Banking than any doctor.
Last edited by StarLinyx; 1 week ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
...a Locum (basically the Dr's equivalent of a temp) is probably the lowest, and they still make at least about £50k pa)...
Just to correct you there, many locums earn way, way more than doctors-in-training.

My trust is currently paying A&E doctors (SHO level) £60 per hour doing regular, social hours. You can easily accrue £100,000 just doing 9-5 Monday to Friday after FY2. That's when you're 25 years old.

Locum tends to pay more because demand > supply, whereas the employers can pretty much screw those in training because NHS is a monopoly (for junior docs* anyway) you don't have anywhere else to go for training.

*JD salaries are published publically, read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6026828 for a list.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
You need to be nicer to the med students... cause they'll be the ones treating you when you get a stab wound

Seriously, medicine is a very conservative profession (most stay away from social media, unless it's for medical related stuff)... so they probably don't care about Roadmen etc.

True, the starting salary is pretty sh!t... but the learning never stops for Drs (unless you're a locum). Most of the med students are very competitive and ambitious so their goal is typically to (eventually) become a consultant (that's where they can earn 6 figures).

Alternatively, a GP is considered to be a cushy role (well for Drs at least), and if you become a GP partner, again that's potentially a 6 figure salary.

Anyway, as I said in my other post, doctors don't do it for the money (although it helps), it's their passion in life.
Passion? I doubt that - some students do it for the perceived prestige and pat on the back from their school head and parents. Don't forget, doctors often work in cramped and unpleasant hospitals, whereas investment bankers and lawyers work in cushy offices with the elite.
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I encountered a lot of snobbery when doing my MSc at UCL, thanks to a few medical students who were intercalating and thus were on the same course. I think it is down to immaturity, arrogance and sheer ignorance. The irony was these tw*ts had lots of help with finances via rich parents. Up until now, they have never even worked, and the only thing they know is studying.

I cannot stand students who potray a serpent like personality, which is toxic and narcisstic.
I feel like you have just had an unfortunate encounter with some medical students. I'm a medical student but I would never think of myself as better than others. There are definitely arrogant people but that is not the impression I have of the vast majority of my year group. Maybe the fact that they had rich parents played into it - you know like silver spoon, thinking they are superior to everyone
Veterinary Medicine is more highly regarded than Medicine, and I have found that some of the most gifted students of all actually do subjects like Maths, Physics and Economics, and end up earning much, much more in the City in Banking than any doctor.
Medicine does require good grades so there are bound to be many gifted people in medicine. Also, medicine isn't about the money. I know that on completion of my degree, I can get a job and work up to being financially comfortable which is obviously a benefit but if I wanted to be rich, I wouldn't be doing medicine.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True, the starting salary is pretty sh!t... but the learning never stops for Drs (unless you're a locum). Most of the med students are very competitive and ambitious so their goal is typically to (eventually) become a consultant (that's where they can earn 6 figures).

Alternatively, a GP is considered to be a cushy role (well for Drs at least), and if you become a GP partner, again that's potentially a 6 figure salary.

Anyway, as I said in my other post, doctors don't do it for the money (although it helps), it's their passion in life.
You sure about that? Good for them, but they don’t need to brag - doctors don’t earn that much and so many people want to become one people don’t care as much as they used to
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most doctors don’t have a passion for it - they just become one for social status or because they’ve been pushed to do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (171)
38.34%
Take autumn exams (137)
30.72%
Look for a job (16)
3.59%
Consider an apprenticeship (20)
4.48%
Take a year out (75)
16.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.05%

Watched Threads