Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, how long did it take for you to pass your practical test. Ik it depends on the person but for like the average person. Im starting uni in sept and gonna have 3-4 lessons a week. Do u think it’s possible? I’m doing manual btw
Exdoz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all, how long did it take for you to pass your practical test. Ik it depends on the person but for like the average person. Im starting uni in sept and gonna have 3-4 lessons a week. Do u think it’s possible? I’m doing manual btw
3-4 lessons seems too much for a week. I will keep it max 2. I personally only had 1 lesson a week and I had only 10 lessons. I also did manual and passed first time after the 10 lessons (so 2 and a half month period). You wanna make sure you have time to study as well. And by you paying for an extra 2 lessons a week (lets say an extra £100) and multiply that by how many weeks you will learn for, you could have saved all that money just to retake, given you failed.
TiffSlade
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I personally took about 9 months at 1 or 2 lessons a week. Most of my friends did 3 or 4 a week and it took a lot less time. Generally, it comes down to driving practice and experience. You might still struggle to do it in time but you might be able to pass shortly after.
Kogomogo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I passed on my fourth test, did one lesson a week.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Flying cars are a thing of the future, I do not believe you will ever be able to pass the required test. But, gd luck.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are you having 3-4 lessons a week smh
Armzy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm literally in the same position where I want to pass before university or before November at the latest. I was planning to take 3-4 lessons a week too but so far no instructor is available for me to do that. Would've started earlier and only taken 1 lesson a week if it weren't for covid.
TiffSlade
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Armzy)
I'm literally in the same position where I want to pass before university or before November at the latest. I was planning to take 3-4 lessons a week too but so far no instructor is available for me to do that. Would've started earlier and only taken 1 lesson a week if it weren't for covid.
Have you considered the intensive courses? I know some instructors do a solid week course with the intention for you to take your test at the end of it.
Armzy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi TiffSlade , yes I have. my issues with them is that I don't know the instructor, I'm scared of being given an instructor who's absolutely crap and I hate. Whereas currently all the instructors I've contacted are ones who've been recommended to me & have good reviews. Secondly, the price for intensive courses are out of my budget, I've saved all my money for driving lessons & now I don't have a job so I can't really afford even £150 out of my budget
Armzy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Basically it's a last resort for me. If by the end of the month I can't find an instructor to take me on with 4 lessons a week, I'll have to ask around for the money and get intensive driving lessons.
TiffSlade
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Armzy)
hi TiffSlade , yes I have. my issues with them is that I don't know the instructor, I'm scared of being given an instructor who's absolutely crap and I hate. Whereas currently all the instructors I've contacted are ones who've been recommended to me & have good reviews. Secondly, the price for intensive courses are out of my budget, I've saved all my money for driving lessons & now I don't have a job so I can't really afford even £150 out of my budget
I can understand that. Instructors need to be trialled as well because everyone gets along with different people. The best advice I can give is to see if you can get someone (family, friend or parent: has to be over 21 and been driving for more than 3 years and have a full license) to take you out and get as much experience as necessary. That way the only thing the driving instructor will need to do is instil the good practice bit (checking mirrors before pulling off, etc.) and getting rid of all the bad habits that people pick up over time whilst driving.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
hey, very sorry for jumping in here ik it’s not really TSR etiquette :/
Would you say it’s possible to pass after 13 lessons (£269 from my chosen driving instructor) I want to spend as little as possible....if it helps I have my theory test this week and I’m pretty confident I’m going to do well.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hey, very sorry for jumping in here ik it’s not really TSR etiquette :/
Would you say it’s possible to pass after 13 lessons (£269 from my chosen driving instructor) I want to spend as little as possible....if it helps I have my theory test this week and I’m pretty confident I’m going to do well.
It doesn’t matter how many lessons - it’s different for everyone, but it’s certainly possible. Do you know the basics?

I.e clutch pedal, how to use indicators, Lane discipline etc
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RaA64)
It doesn’t matter how many lessons - it’s different for everyone, but it’s certainly possible. Do you know the basics?

I.e clutch pedal, how to use indicators, Lane discipline etc
Glad it’s possible! Umm somewhat? Nobody in my family drives so I haven’t really been exposed to cars too often haha. I do pick things up kinda quickly though once I’m relaxed about it
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Glad it’s possible! Umm somewhat? Nobody in my family drives so I haven’t really been exposed to cars too often haha. I do pick things up kinda quickly though once I’m relaxed about it
Yeah don’t worry about it. If you want to get a head start before actually going into the car, just search it up on YouTube.

When I said a basic understanding - I didn’t explain it properly - just that you know if someone is coming in front of you or you’re going too quickly press the brake - seen some new drivers not know what to do and forget to press the bake for some reason
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RaA64)
Yeah don’t worry about it. If you want to get a head start before actually going into the car, just search it up on YouTube.

When I said a basic understanding - I didn’t explain it properly - just that you know if someone is coming in front of you or you’re going too quickly press the brake - seen some new drivers not know what to do and forget to press the bake for some reason
Awesome thank you, will do.
Ah okay, yeah I’m all good with that sort of stuff! Thanks again
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RaA64)
Why are you having 3-4 lessons a week smh
I just wanna pass as quickly as possible and will probably take a test after 15 lessons.
Anonymous #1
Flying cars are a thing of the future, I do not believe you will ever be able to pass the required test. But, gd luck.
Why do u think that. People have 20 lessons and book a test so surely if I can take 20 lessons asap I could pass isn’t it.
farahkhan92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can do it! Driving is a skill and the more you practise, the better you’ll get and the closer you’ll get to passing your test. I believe in you! Go for it! You can do it before uni xx
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why do u think that. People have 20 lessons and book a test so surely if I can take 20 lessons asap I could pass isn’t it.
Yeah but you need time to let the information sink in etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (198)
38.9%
Take autumn exams (155)
30.45%
Look for a job (17)
3.34%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.13%
Take a year out (88)
17.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.89%

Watched Threads