How to start saying no and be confrontational

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys so i struggle saying no to people and people always take advantage of me and it really annoys me so i end up feeling worthless. Also it is so annoying especially when anyone needs me im always there but when i need someone no one is there. I know i need to learn to be more selfish and less caring how. Can anyone give me tips on how to say start saying no to people and learn to be assertive and confrontation cos i hate confronting people
Selflovez
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’ll realise that your own worth is better than other peoples. Don’t waste your time on people and focus on yourself. Be selfish do things you enjoy and find people who support you.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Time is important. It is a currency of sorts, when you spend it, be mindful you can't get a refund. Spend it on places, people and experiences that enrich your life or you believe to be important.

Saying no is simple, don't want to go to that party? Say no. You don't need to give an excuse. No is fine in isolation. Assertive communication is a technique everyone should learnt and understand.

Be there for yourself. Unfortunately you won't always have people around you, even if they are generally supportive you have to be your own biggest support as you are with yourself til the day you die. Be kind to yourself and those around you. Manage your expectations of people as well, they won't always live up to what you want but that's okay, no one is perfect.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Time is important. It is a currency of sorts, when you spend it, be mindful you can't get a refund. Spend it on places, people and experiences that enrich your life or you believe to be important.

Saying no is simple, don't want to go to that party? Say no. You don't need to give an excuse. No is fine in isolation. Assertive communication is a technique everyone should learnt and understand.

Be there for yourself. Unfortunately you won't always have people around you, even if they are generally supportive you have to be your own biggest support as you are with yourself til the day you die. Be kind to yourself and those around you. Manage your expectations of people as well, they won't always live up to what you want but that's okay, no one is perfect.
Well said,

its your fault if you allow people to take advantage of you.

Just say no, if they have a problem its their problem.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Selflovez)
You’ll realise that your own worth is better than other peoples. Don’t waste your time on people and focus on yourself. Be selfish do things you enjoy and find people who support you.
Thank you so much appreciate this
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)

This advice was lovely i appreciate it so much ghat is true everrything u said i 100% agree with itt
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This advice was lovely i appreciate it so much ghat is true everrything u said i 100% agree with itt
You're welcome. Another thing though, don't shy away from helping people. That is a beautiful talent that not many people possess. But, and this is what trips people up, know when to stop for their sake and for your own sake. You can't pour from an empty cup. You have to look out for yourself first and foremost. Life is about give and take, and it won't always be even, but the good and supportive people in your life, appreciate them and show them that you are grateful for what they do. They are gems. Never take people like that for granted because you never know when it'll be your last conversation with them, you know?

Take care.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Being 'confrontational' is aggresive, but nothing wrong with being assertive.

Learn to prioritise. What's more important at the time, doing something for yourself or something for other people?

Learn to not use soft phrases like "sorry, I can't" or "not at this time" because there is nothing to be sorry about and later may still not be convenient. You don't have to justify it, just say 'no'. If someone persists, just repeat 'no, I can't'. Sometimes you will be in a position to help, so you won't always be saying no, but people will soon learn that you won't always say yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (60)
24.19%
Better than expected (51)
20.56%
Worse than expected (137)
55.24%

Watched Threads