Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend passed his test today, which only lasted 30 mins long (including eyesight test and show me/tell me) and only got asked for one manoeuvre, which was bay parking. Not even an emergency stop! i hope my test is like this!

that sounds wrong!

ReputationRep:
    It isn't 'right' as such - but it is allright in that he now has had an easy test and is now a qualified driver :woo:

ReputationRep:
    A driving instructor typically knows whether you are going to pass in the first 5-10mins of a test. Maybe he was just experienced and so good at normal driving that the instructor didn't need to see any more manoeuvres.

Well i wouldnt complain if that was my test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeCordell)
    A driving instructor typically knows whether you are going to pass in the first 5-10mins of a test.
    that's got to be ********......

ReputationRep:
    Every driving test is different, because every examiner is different...someone told me that in their sister's driving test, she only had to do one manouver aswell and just drove around abit and passed, because she took her test at a really busy time. I wish i have a test like these, when i eventually get round to taking one :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    that's got to be ********......
    What makes you say that?

ReputationRep:
    What makes you say that?
    how can you tell if someones going to pass within 5-10 minutes? the test is 40/45 or whatever minutes for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    how can you tell if someones going to pass within 5-10 minutes? the test is 40/45 or whatever minutes for a reason.
    When Manchester Utd. take on Rochdale, and Man. Utd. are 3-0 up in 10-20 minutes, you know who's going to win? Right? Unless by some miracle/miraculous mistake they manage to lose.

If i go out and i can't get the car into gear and i change gear late/early, forgot to indicate a few times, have a few bad moments, the instructor knows I'm not ready and wont pass, unless (the miracle) I quickly settle down, and get no more minors/a major for the next 40 minutes. But if I go out and I'm steady, having a perfect drive etc. the instructor knows I'm going to pass, unless (mistake) I suddenly crash/speed/lose focus.

ReputationRep:
    When Manchester Utd. take on Rochdale, and Man. Utd. are 3-0 up in 10-20 minutes, you know who's going to win? Right? Unless by some miracle/miraculous mistake they manage to lose.

If i go out and i can't get the car into gear and i change gear late/early, forgot to indicate a few times, have a few bad moments, the instructor knows I'm not ready and wont pass, unless (the miracle) I quickly settle down, and get no more minors/a major for the next 40 minutes. But if I go out and I'm steady, having a perfect drive etc. the instructor knows I'm going to pass, unless (mistake) I suddenly crash/speed/lose focus.
    and what about when middlesbrough suddenly came back and won 4-3 twice if you're going to use footy examples?

What makes you think that you won't get minors or majors just because you didn't get any in the first 5 minutes? **** happens it's not that simple. And also driving isn't just changing a gear and indicating, it's about anticipating what's going on around you and reacting to it. Any ****** can change gears and indicate

ReputationRep:
    and what about when middlesbrough suddenly came back and won 4-3 twice if you're going to use footy examples?

What makes you think that you won't get minors or majors just because you didn't get any in the first 5 minutes? **** happens it's not that simple. And also driving isn't just changing a gear and indicating, it's about anticipating what's going on around you and reacting to it. Any ****** can change gears and indicate
    Strangely enough, being close to test I know that, I was simply giving examples, also they were things that are basic, highlighting that if you can't do them then you'll fail the test.

Yeah, you mentioned 2 games there i can think of at least 200 for every 1 you can think of.

This is something I've been told by multiple instructors and 2 examiners, along with friends, who when I told them, questioned it like you. When they asked their instructors they confirmed it.

I'm not saying the instructor knows whether to pass/fail you after 5 mins, I'm saying they have a good idea of whether you will pass/fail. And seeing as they may have 4/5 tests a day, 5 days a week for 10+ years, I think they would know.

ReputationRep:
    I think your boyfriend might be special, did they also give him crayons and a colouring book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insanetothebrain)
    I think your boyfriend might be special, did they also give him crayons and a colouring book?
    sarcasm at its best, i applaud you

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get your hopes up about your test being like that tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaMuffin)
    My boyfriend passed his test today, which only lasted 30 mins long (including eyesight test and show me/tell me) and only got asked for one manoeuvre, which was bay parking. Not even an emergency stop! i hope my test is like this!
    Did he fail?

ReputationRep:
    Not every test has an emergency stop!

I've heard several times that it's something like 1 in 3 tests on average.

I can't remember much of my tesct, but I think it was about 30-40mins driving - including 2 manouvers very close to the beginning.

It depends on sooooo many factors:
    ~ Where you boyfriend did the test
    ~ the time of day
    ~ the instructor
    ~ How well the first couple of minutes went (if no real problems in the first 10 minutes (which are the most nerve-wracking), then it's likely they will stay consistant)
    ~ The weather

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.