Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering...as most have now been allocated their rooms and such...some may be quite keen in finding out how their rooms look like? In addition, they may want to get a 'feel' of the campus etc..

So..i was wondering...before the 20th and 21st September..will anyone be paying an informal random visit to the campus..?

Infact, will they let us see our rooms? (i wonder, as im planning on making a visit to kent campus...soon and explore the town and such )

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it's up to you, but last year I made the decision not to view campus during the summer.

There is NOTHING more depressing than an empty university campus, you will walk away from a visit during the summer with a negative vibe, it's dead in comparison to term time.

And unfortunately it's a definate no on seeing your rooms, alot of the rooms still have people living in them!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of visiting one weekend, but its such a long drive. Too lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random_bloke)
    Obviously it's up to you, but last year I made the decision not to view campus during the summer.

There is NOTHING more depressing than an empty university campus, you will walk away from a visit during the summer with a negative vibe, it's dead in comparison to term time.

And unfortunately it's a definate no on seeing your rooms, alot of the rooms still have people living in them!
    Well its not a definite no, my friend persuaded a cleaner to let her see her room.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna go down for the day to go job-hunting

A friend in 3rd year already has her house too, so might be able to sameple the night-life

ReputationRep:
    It would take some of the excitement out of the moving in weekend

ReputationRep:
    Me and my mum were planning to take a trip up to just have a look around Canterbury once the midgets (my two bros) are back at school. Partly because she wants to be able "to imagine what you are doing and where you are" :rolleyes:
    Should take some of her anxiety away (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChicaBonita)
    Me and my mum were planning to take a trip up to just have a look around Canterbury once the midgets (my two bros) are back at school. Partly because she wants to be able "to imagine what you are doing and where you are" :rolleyes:
    Should take some of her anxiety away (hopefully)
    Hehe, midgets
    I went up with my parents in July...thankfully all the graduations were going on, so the campus wasn't deserted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim08)
    Hehe, midgets
    I went up with my parents in July...thankfully all the graduations were going on, so the campus wasn't deserted
    Yeah, I don't think we'll go up to campus after what some people have said about becoming depressed after seeing the place deserted. I think we're just gonna have a look around the town at the shops, the local area atc.
    I can't wait to graduate in front of the cathedral :yep: (bit premature I know but still :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I went there today!!! it was sooo COOL, the weather was wonderful too.
    I got to see my room and kitchen ^.^ and got a feel walking back and fro to parkwood. boyyyy, its a loonnng walk!! i think i might need to buy a bike!! ++i brought a Uni of Kent hoodle, hehe

ReputationRep:
    Is there really no activity whatsoever at the University during the summer? I find it hard to imagine a place filled with 20,000 students throughout term time being completely deserted. Surely some people must be on the campus at the moment? If not, I admit it must seem a bit depressing, though maybe it'd be best to have a look around it when it's a little quieter than usual. Though I'll probably spend most of my time in Canterbury getting to know the routes from the University into the city, or finding out where the shops in the latter are. At this stage just a flavour of the layout of Canterbury would be fine for me. I'll do most of my exploring when I actually get there - a few hours an evening would familiarise myself with the area quite swiftly, and it'd also give me something to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Kent on the 3rd. Got stuff to do there might as well take a stroll around and look at the place as I see it. So its not really a random visit as such...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ying28)
    I went there today!!! it was sooo COOL, the weather was wonderful too.
    I got to see my room and kitchen ^.^ and got a feel walking back and fro to parkwood. boyyyy, its a loonnng walk!! i think i might need to buy a bike!! ++i brought a Uni of Kent hoodle, hehe
    was that this morning by any chance? (buying the hoodies i mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    Is there really no activity whatsoever at the University during the summer? I find it hard to imagine a place filled with 20,000 students throughout term time being completely deserted. Surely some people must be on the campus at the moment? If not, I admit it must seem a bit depressing, though maybe it'd be best to have a look around it when it's a little quieter than usual. Though I'll probably spend most of my time in Canterbury getting to know the routes from the University into the city, or finding out where the shops in the latter are. At this stage just a flavour of the layour of Canterbury would be fine for me. I'll do most of my exploring when I actually get there - a few hours an evening would familiarise myself with the area quite swiftly, while also providing me with something to do.

It was abit on the quiet side, BUUTT there were still people!! people on holiday, receptionist (they are really friendly! :]), open shops... it wasn't as deserted as i thought it be :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random_bloke)
    was that this morning by any chance? (buying the hoodies i mean)
    hahahahahah!!! yes, my boyfriend and I spent a good hour in the clothes section!! brought 2 hoodles...it must be youuuu *gasp* erm...politics student? 'theres 2 kind of people who buy kent hoodles, first years who are excited, or graduating peeps who are sad to be leaving..?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ying28)
    hahahahahah!!! yes, my boyfriend and I spent a good hour in the clothes section!! brought 2 hoodles...it must be youuuu *gasp* erm...politics student? 'theres 2 kind of people who buy kent hoodles, first years who are excited, or graduating peeps who are sad to be leaving..?'
    yep, that was me! :-)

ReputationRep:
    You can buy hoodies on campus? Whereabouts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    You can buy hoodies on campus? Whereabouts?
    Essentials (campus shop) at the moment.

From freshers week Kent Union are opening a new clothes store called UniQue.

ReputationRep:
    they say 'university of kent' mind you. they are so pretty and colourful! im so happy with mine, the inner material is quite cool too! (prefect for winter!)
    in those little 'quickie stores'...where u can buy sandwiches and bits and bobs u may need, eg toilet paper..
    i cant remember the name of the place on campus, but random_bloke will tell you..

ReputationRep:
    my post above ying28

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2008

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Postgraduate
    Tue, 5 Mar '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.