Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've just been watching the tv series, banged up abroad.

it got me thinking, if you escape from a foreign jail, and manage to make it back to England what happens then? The programe implies people carry on there lives, despite escaping from a 10 year sentance from drug trafficing.

any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Which crimes are you thinking of committing exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm your not an undercover spy are you? :ninja:

Well I reckon they would be arrested here not sure to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the country you were originally held in.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would depend on the type of crime that you had committed.
    If it was something pretty bad, I think you can be deported back to the country to complete the rest of the sentence.

I dont think we necessarily have to send the people back though, if we don't want to. For example, if we think the person may be innocent or the crime isnt considered to be a crime in the UK.

It also depends on the country concerned, as obviously we are more likely to do favours for our allies etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd need to be extradited back. So if you were jailed in somewhere where there is no extradition treaty with the UK, you'd be all right.

ReputationRep:
    It depends also on whether our government recognise the individuals trial... Whether it was fair or not...

ReputationRep:
    Why not call up the police or do some crazy crime and find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I think you'd need to be extradited back. So if you were jailed in somewhere where there is no extradition treaty with the UK, you'd be all right.
    That's broadly true. But even no extradition treaty exists, it doesn't mean the UK won't send you back. Especially if we're talking about a country the Uk wants good trading relations with.

Your best bet is to run to Spain anyway. Spanish laws are only designed to protect Spanish citizens and hence Spain recognise international criminals. That's why you have the so called 'Costa del Crime' full of East End gangsters and also why a lot of international fraud is carried out from offices in Spain.

ReputationRep:
    it's the government's decision, and it would be handled on a case-case basis, however chances are that our government wouldn't extradite someone to a country with a horrendously rough prison system, or where civil liberties were an issue. I presume that's what the programme was focusing on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    you can be deported back to the country
    No no no. Britain don't deport people are you crazy? They want all the illegal immigr... 'imports' they can bloody get.

ReputationRep:
    Roman Polanski has been wanted by the US for 30 years for rape and some other stuff, but the French govt refuses to send him back. That's why he wont step foot in America and I think Britain also.

ReputationRep:
    It depends if there is an extradition treaty with the country in question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ares1224)
    No no no. Britain don't deport people are you crazy? They want all the illegal immigr... 'imports' they can bloody get.
    Extradite, whatever I don't pretend to know all this terminology.

ReputationRep:
    its not even funny how easily id escape from most jails. like seriously. MMA+Parkour=no normal prison could hold me haha.

ReputationRep:
    If it was something like blasphemy in a deeply religious country then the government would refuse to extradite you back as you'd probably get the death sentence if they did. But for things like murder they will.

Oh, and harmless hacking (Gary McKninnon sp?)

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on the extradition treaty the UK had with that particular country.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on foreign relations, extradition treaties, etc.

Personally I think it is a dangerous idea in certain situations......i.e. drug traffiking in Singapore will land you an instand death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    As observed above, a lot of it is just politics. The worst would be if you committed something serious in another EU country, where you could have a European Arrest Warrant put out for you - you'd be 'surrendered' (not extradited) to that country pretty bloody quickly.

With non-EU countries (and indeed things not covered by the EAW - which only really deals with serious crimes) you'll generally be fine unless it causes a diplomatic incident or the UK has some interest in getting rid of you. Even then, it'll take ages.

As an example, some hooligans from my county (was in the local papers) got pissed on a plane and assaulted the cabin crew. They were arrested in wherever they were going (Greece, I think) but bailed - and, a few thousand Euros poorer - legged it back to Britain as fast as the could.

Useless *******s, they could've used some time in jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    If it was something like blasphemy in a deeply religious country then the government would refuse to extradite you back as you'd probably get the death sentence if they did.
    Another two provisios:

Britain will not extradite to countries where the death penalty is a possibility
    Britain will not extradite to countries where the crime is not a crime in British law, or at least reasonably similar (double-criminality, I believe that is called).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.