Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I have good dental hygiene (I floss and clean my teeth/ gums/ tongue daily... I don't floss my tongue, you know what I mean :p:), I have quite weak tooth enamel.

This means, despite the fact that I don't eat much sugar, I have quite a few fillings because the enamel decays easily, or something to that effect.

I had three new fillings last week (now have 6 in total ) and I mention them in case they're related.

Anyway, my gums are REALLY sore... tender and painful to touch, quite swollen, especially on the right side, and it's that kind of pain that makes you grit your teeth and want to scrape your gums off. ARGH.
    I flossed about half an hour ago and one area of my gums bled, where I've previously had no problems.

I don't understand, I look after my teeth well

I don't want to bother my dentists by phoning up and asking for an appointment if it's something that will clear up in a couple of days... but grrr, it's annoying and painful :confused:

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    It might be a good idea to make an appointment anyway, even if the problem goes away in a few days, just because the dentist may be able to look at the general condition of your gums and suggest changes you could make.

In the mean time, you are probably best of gargling corsodol or salty water as these can help gums to heal etc.

There is quite a big possibility that you are being too vigorous when you are brushing your teeth, especially if you are worried about tooth decay. You might be overdoing it unintentionally, and this rough treatment can cause sore gums etc.

Have a look at your toothbrush as well. Some brushes are incredibly tough, and it might help if you get a softer texture brush like the ones offered by Sensodyne.

ReputationRep:
    Swollen and bleeding gums sounds like early onset of gingevitis. More than half of all teenagers have some form of gum disease. Good news is, it's easily treatable - Swishing Corsodyl around your gums is great, especially for sore gums. It's especially for gingevitis, and if you have particularly painful mouth ulsers (from having a brace maybe), it's such a relief to have it to hand.

ReputationRep:
    Scurvy.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem, and dentist said it was caused by me brushing my teeth too hard and scratching the gums, which can lead to infections. I was given corsodyl which really worked - I still use it now once a week instead of brushing for one night (you can't brush your teeth at the same time as rising your mouth with it because it has similar affects on your teeth as sugar does and would brush the enamel away).

In regards to your weak enamel, do you brush shortly after eating? If you do, brushing so efficiently will strip the enamel - sugar disolves the enamel and you need time for your teeth to recover - try chewing gum, as that increases your saliva, which is great at getting rid of the enamel eating stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much everyone looks like my first port of call is to stop brushing so hard, buy a softer toothbrush and invest in some Corsodyl :p:
    Thank you xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.