ThatOldGuy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I've got a place to do my PGCE. I've graduated. Good degree. Everything is fine, except...

I have no idea what to do now. SFE isn't open for phone calls. They aren't responding to questions. Basically, when I applied for Uni, I wasn't eligible for full Student Finance. I graduated, and this is a new course at a new university.

Do I apply as a new student for PGCE or do they keep the information they already have? How do I apply? How do I prove that I'm now fully eligible for student finance? Is there anyone who can talk me through my more complex situation? Also: I'm doing Computing, which comes with a £28K incentive. How do I make sure I get that? Does that impact my student loan?
TiffSlade
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
So I've got a place to do my PGCE. I've graduated. Good degree. Everything is fine, except...

I have no idea what to do now. SFE isn't open for phone calls. They aren't responding to questions. Basically, when I applied for Uni, I wasn't eligible for full Student Finance. I graduated, and this is a new course at a new university.

Do I apply as a new student for PGCE or do they keep the information they already have? How do I apply? How do I prove that I'm now fully eligible for student finance? Is there anyone who can talk me through my more complex situation? Also: I'm doing Computing, which comes with a £28K incentive. How do I make sure I get that? Does that impact my student loan?
Student finance will need to be applied for again. PGCE's are applied for as an undergraduate loan. If you don't have the option come up on your account then you will need to do a paper application (It's a glitch that happens sometimes). As it is an entirely new application your funding will be based on that alone, therefore if you fill out the form and provide the evidence where asked that will show that you are now eligible for full finance. If your situation is complex it is best to get advice from them by ringing them. There call centres are open but the lines go down regularly. Check their facebook for updates on this. The incentive shouldn't affect student finance but tbh Im on welsh student finance so I couldn't say for certain. Usually the bursary is a separate application as it is not available through student finance but the government. Again this is the case in wales so it may be slightly different for England.

If I can help any further please feel free to ask
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dear ThatOldGuy

Congratulations on your place on a teacher training course!

I think TiffSlade is comprehensive in their answer. However, in regards to the Teacher Training bursary, this will be administered directly by your course provider and so you will not need to apply for it as such, but you'll need to share your back details with the provider to be in receipt of your instalments. Contact them to find out how they make the arrangements as some are more efficient with this setting up than others!

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching!

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (80)
38.46%
Take autumn exams (71)
34.13%
Look for a job (6)
2.88%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.37%
Take a year out (31)
14.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.25%

Watched Threads