The Student Room Group

Likelihood of postgraduate funding?

Hi all,

I know this is a very broad question and no one can give me an exact answer but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

I want to apply for postgraduate study for entry in 2021. I'm planning to take out the full loan, but that leaves me with a few thousand pounds to cover in tuition fees, and a few more thousand in living costs.

I'm thinking of applying to public policy related degrees at Oxford, UCL and LSE. I wanted to know if anyone has any info on how easy it is to get, and how likely it is I will get, funding and scholarships from these unis.

I think I meet several criteria that funds usually look for - I have a first-class degree from Cambridge from my undergrad, I am a first-generation, state-schooled, low income, disabled student. Are there funds available for people like me, and if so, how much am I likely to get?

Would be great to hear about others experiences and thoughts. Thanks!
Original post by georgiacr18
Hi all,

I know this is a very broad question and no one can give me an exact answer but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

I want to apply for postgraduate study for entry in 2021. I'm planning to take out the full loan, but that leaves me with a few thousand pounds to cover in tuition fees, and a few more thousand in living costs.

I'm thinking of applying to public policy related degrees at Oxford, UCL and LSE. I wanted to know if anyone has any info on how easy it is to get, and how likely it is I will get, funding and scholarships from these unis.

I think I meet several criteria that funds usually look for - I have a first-class degree from Cambridge from my undergrad, I am a first-generation, state-schooled, low income, disabled student. Are there funds available for people like me, and if so, how much am I likely to get?

Are there funds available for people like me, and if so, how much am I likely to get? -> Yes. Very likely, if you apply and receive an offer early from Oxford. You may get anything from a few thousand to a full scholarship - college & uni dependent.

For UCL, LSE, unlikely.

Based on personal experience only, so it's pretty anecdotal.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Buttmuffin
Are there funds available for people like me, and if so, how much am I likely to get? -> Yes. Very likely, if you apply and receive an offer early from Oxford. You may get anything from a few thousand to a full scholarship - college & uni dependent.

For UCL, LSE, unlikely.

Based on personal experience only, so it's pretty anecdotal.

Thanks for your response! Could I ask why I'm not likely to get funding from the other two? Do they just not offer as many scholarships?

Thanks!
Hi all,

A First from Cambridge puts you in a strong position. First generation, state-schooled, low income are all pretty much negated by having an undergrad degree, and from Cambridge. There's only so long society thinks that up-bringing makes a difference that the individual can't control and change. Disabled, leaves open all the statutory support and funds.

From now on in life "people like you" are pretty much defined as "having a First from Cambridge" plus whatever reasonable adjustments you need for your disability. Otherwise, it's standard for PG students to work during their degree or the vacations, or take a year out to build up funds.

PG funding can be quite hard to find, it basically requires PG level research skills to seek out all the pots and possibilities. Start asap, because deadlines may start occurring at the end of 2020 for 2021 starts.
Reply 4
I haven't looked into it much, but I believe there is an additional disability support loan/grant that SFE has offers - maybe you've already looked into this?
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
A First from Cambridge puts you in a strong position. First generation, state-schooled, low income are all pretty much negated by having an undergrad degree, and from Cambridge. There's only so long society thinks that up-bringing makes a difference that the individual can't control and change. Disabled, leaves open all the statutory support and funds.

From now on in life "people like you" are pretty much defined as "having a First from Cambridge" plus whatever reasonable adjustments you need for your disability. Otherwise, it's standard for PG students to work during their degree or the vacations, or take a year out to build up funds.

PG funding can be quite hard to find, it basically requires PG level research skills to seek out all the pots and possibilities. Start asap, because deadlines may start occurring at the end of 2020 for 2021 starts.

Makes sense, thank you! I am taking a year out to work and save some money, which should help out a bit.

I've started researching funding and come across quite a few small pots of money in various places. Is there anywhere in particular you would recommend looking?
Reply 6
Original post by harper_
I haven't looked into it much, but I believe there is an additional disability support loan/grant that SFE has offers - maybe you've already looked into this?

Thanks for your reply! It's called the Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) and I already receive that, but it doesn't cover general tuition fees or living expenses, only disability-related costs which are additional anyway. Thanks though!
Hi all,

Sadly there is very little funding out there for Masters level courses. In my experience many Masters students take out the Postgraduate Masters Loan (https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan) and then self-fund the remainder from either savings and/or part-time work around their studies.

Most universities do, however, have some bursaries and scholarships available that can reduce the cost. At Keele, for example, we offer a fee discount to alumni and to students with a first class undergraduate degree, and also have funds to support students who are estranged from their families or are care leavers. Our postgraduate funding page can give you an idea of the sort of help that might be out there (https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgr...aduatefunding/).

As @Buttmuffin said, it's definitely worth emailing the admissions department at Oxford to ask if they offer any that would be applicable to your circumstances. They may also be able to point you in the direction of external funding sources that their students have received before.

Amy :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Keele University
Sadly there is very little funding out there for Masters level courses. In my experience many Masters students take out the Postgraduate Masters Loan (https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan) and then self-fund the remainder from either savings and/or part-time work around their studies.

Most universities do, however, have some bursaries and scholarships available that can reduce the cost. At Keele, for example, we offer a fee discount to alumni and to students with a first class undergraduate degree, and also have funds to support students who are estranged from their families or are care leavers. Our postgraduate funding page can give you an idea of the sort of help that might be out there (https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgr...aduatefunding/).

As @Buttmuffin said, it's definitely worth emailing the admissions department at Oxford to ask if they offer any that would be applicable to your circumstances. They may also be able to point you in the direction of external funding sources that their students have received before.

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for your response, that's really helpful! I'll take a look at those resources and will also send an email to the admissions department to get some more info.

Thanks again!
Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for your response, that's really helpful! I'll take a look at those resources and will also send an email to the admissions department to get some more info.

Thanks again!

No problem at all! Hopefully admissions will be able to point you in the direction of some relevant scholarships and bursaries!

Hi there!

Might it be worth getting in touch with the Unis you want to apply to, and have a discussion around funding?

In my experience the Postgraduate Loan from the government just about covers tuition fees, so I did my course part time and worked part time to make ends meet (especially hard in super expensive London!) And I think most people on my course did some form of work too.

There’s more chat on here in some postgraduate applicant threads, but essentially: there used to be more funding for MA students, but cuts have meant this has been used to support PhD students (personally, in my field this makes no sense, as you can’t do a PhD without and MA?!)

I’m no expert in disability support funding provided by Unis, but I have contacted UCL and Oxford before about other funding queries and they’re super helpful.

Fingers crossed for you!
Original post by Lit-Lover
Hi there!

Might it be worth getting in touch with the Unis you want to apply to, and have a discussion around funding?

In my experience the Postgraduate Loan from the government just about covers tuition fees, so I did my course part time and worked part time to make ends meet (especially hard in super expensive London!) And I think most people on my course did some form of work too.

There’s more chat on here in some postgraduate applicant threads, but essentially: there used to be more funding for MA students, but cuts have meant this has been used to support PhD students (personally, in my field this makes no sense, as you can’t do a PhD without and MA?!)

I’m no expert in disability support funding provided by Unis, but I have contacted UCL and Oxford before about other funding queries and they’re super helpful.

Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you so much for your reply! For some reason I didn't think to contact the universities themselves so I'll definitely get in touch and see what they can do.

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest