Relationship With a Sociopath

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Would you enter a relationship with a sociopath?
What if your partner turned out to be one?
Any advice if one is in a relationship with one?

A sociopath has antisocial personality disorder (sociopathy/psychopathy)
Kitten in boots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Asking for a friend?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if both partners are sociopaths it should be fine
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Asking for a friend?
No
Anonymous #1
(Original post by the bear)
if both partners are sociopaths it should be fine
Only one
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Yes, they're still people too.
Anonymous #1
Yes, they're still people too.
How come? Any advice?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I don't think I would.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I don't think I would.
How come?
Chocolatecakexx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
helllll naaaaaa
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I don't think I would.
Yes, I’ve dated a sociopath. Her ways never changed. I want to think she made a real connection with me at some point, but she didn’t. She only told me what I wanted to hear.
She’s extremely manipulative...lied about so much and continuously made any and everything into her being the victim somehow.
I wanted to leave the relationship about 6/7 months in, but stayed for 17 months because I didn’t want her to kill herself.
Throughout the relationship, she was abusive in every way. Psychologically, physically, you name it.
Most notably, there were countless times where she heavily manipulated me......and legitimately raped me. 14 months of that hell.
I have extensive trauma because of what she did. I can’t even read people anymore. I don’t know if people like or hate me, it’s very difficult to tell.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Are u a sociopath OP? Ever been in a relationship?
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
No
Anonymous #5
Report 3 weeks ago
I have no idea why anyone would date in the current societal climate, let alone purposely date a sociopath.
Mania_2k1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Okay so firstly you should not refer to people with personality disorders as Sociopaths as its an offensive term we are people too and the way the media and books and stuff portrays us is awful and most of it is not true but one thing you must understand is that being in a relationship with one is no easy task furthermore this also depends that what type of of PD they have and that we are not all the same personally I have APD which is Antisocial personality disorder btw this is nothing like it sounds I am not antisocial because that what most people assume but what I would tell you is the most important thing to us is if you understand us or at least try to now there are sociopaths that may get into relationships just to exploit someone and use them and then there are others that may genuinely care about you but our emotions are all too mixed up and we don't feel in the same way that you would so communication is very important and you must be prepared for times where you may require emotional support that they cannot provide as they would not be able to put themselves in your shoes. This was a brief explanation so if you got any more questions just ask
Gary S
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Psychopaths and sociopaths are incredibly different. They share some traits, but sociopaths NEED to be with people, either in a group or in a relationship. If they are starved of social activity they go insane, while psychopaths are fine with being a lone wolf and usually actually prefer it that way.
Psychopaths make great partners as long as you don't restrict what they can do and don't try to control them, because thats what they hate, hence why they are more willing to break laws.
Sociopaths on the other hand can just be annoying as they always wanna be the powerful one in a relationship, but in reality are kinda pathetic in how they achieve that power.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Never again.
Mania_2k1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gary S)
Psychopaths and sociopaths are incredibly different. They share some traits, but sociopaths NEED to be with people, either in a group or in a relationship. If they are starved of social activity they go insane, while psychopaths are fine with being a lone wolf and usually actually prefer it that way.
Psychopaths make great partners as long as you don't restrict what they can do and don't try to control them, because thats what they hate, hence why they are more willing to break laws.
Sociopaths on the other hand can just be annoying as they always wanna be the powerful one in a relationship, but in reality are kinda pathetic in how they achieve that power.
im not sure where you are getting this information from but its not correct at all the difference between the two is not at all what you described and there are different types that they expand to so I would advice you to do more research on the topic because the first thing anyone learns is not to refer to people at sociopaths and psychopaths as it is and extreme term.
Gary S
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mania_2k1)
im not sure where you are getting this information from but its not correct at all the difference between the two is not at all what you described and there are different types that they expand to so I would advice you to do more research on the topic because the first thing anyone learns is not to refer to people at sociopaths and psychopaths as it is and extreme term.
I use the terms socio and psycho because it was used it the OP.
I discarded details to keep the post short and simple to digest.
If you feel i'm incorrect, share your stance, more opinions makes for a more lively conversation
β0b
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am already friends with one. my personality really doesn't blend well with his. he tends to put me down quite a lot. I also question whether or not I can trust everything he says, and sometimes if he is actually a sociopath. he answered the sociopath test perfectly, and now that I think about it, it would be paradoxical for him to answer it perfectly without meaning any of the answers. such a thing is something a psychopath or sociopath would do anyway and it actually got a person stuck in a mental asylum because of this situation. interesting story, but slightly irrelevant.
but yeah, I have a relatively toxic relationship with my friend, and most people can't tell if we are friends or enemies. I find it funny though, so I am not too bothered. I am also too lenient when it comes to turning a blind eye. I love how easily people can exploit me :3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (76)
38.38%
Take autumn exams (66)
33.33%
Look for a job (6)
3.03%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.03%
Take a year out (31)
15.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.57%

Watched Threads