Mania_2k1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So midway through the year I got an offer from this college to do a full BTEC Level 3 Business Diploma degree alongside a Law subsidiary degree in one year or should I say by the end of the academic year and I accepted as I wanted to attend university and this was a much shorter way they had promised me I could completed it and that they work much faster by doing part of each assignment each day long story short I worked hard to catch up and got my offers from universities and then midway through the COVID situation I got a call from out manager and he told me the Bord has forced them to change my degree Into a subsidiary as I started late and have not completed enough hours present in the college therefore they cannot offer my that diploma no more or my law one and understandably I was very upset because I had worked so hard and now left unsure if I can go to university so I sent them request forms asking questions a bunch of times and I kept getting ignored until I finally received a respond and I was told that I was not under any circumstance guaranteed a degree and I should stop asking questions as everyone else understand the new system and that is out of their hand and I should carry on with my work and if I ask any more related questions I will be ignored so now I am even more confused and angry because I have no idea what's going on but I do have a unconditional offer from my second choice but I don't know how this all works please give me some advice as I am very lost many thanks for reading.
bamtutor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is this a 'proper college' or, say, an online one? A Business Diploma is equivalent to 1 and 1/2 A levels, so colleges wouldn't normally allow you to sit Law as well, as they would struggle to timetable this due to the minimum Guided learning hours (you normally do 1 1/2 A levels in Year 1 and the other 1 1/2 in Year 2. Additionally, they can't work through assignments quicker, as they need to teach all of the knowledge requirements before setting an assignment. Once started, they cannot continue teaching and helping. They can mark them quicker and give feedback which may save some time, but this would be picked up by their Lead Standards verifier as part of the annual Pearson quality checks. Due to the COVID 19 situation, learners stopped completing work in March and teachers had to submit predicted grades for every learner. If your college submitted predicted grades for a learner where they had allowed this to happen, it is highly likely that this has been questioned by Pearson and as such, they may not award a certificate for two courses. This could be why they are now back tracking. Or, it could be that you - or they- misunderstood when you enrolled. What does your enrolment paperwork say?
Mania_2k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by bamtutor)
Is this a 'proper college' or, say, an online one? A Business Diploma is equivalent to 1 and 1/2 A levels, so colleges wouldn't normally allow you to sit Law as well, as they would struggle to timetable this due to the minimum Guided learning hours (you normally do 1 1/2 A levels in Year 1 and the other 1 1/2 in Year 2. Additionally, they can't work through assignments quicker, as they need to teach all of the knowledge requirements before setting an assignment. Once started, they cannot continue teaching and helping. They can mark them quicker and give feedback which may save some time, but this would be picked up by their Lead Standards verifier as part of the annual Pearson quality checks. Due to the COVID 19 situation, learners stopped completing work in March and teachers had to submit predicted grades for every learner. If your college submitted predicted grades for a learner where they had allowed this to happen, it is highly likely that this has been questioned by Pearson and as such, they may not award a certificate for two courses. This could be why they are now back tracking. Or, it could be that you - or they- misunderstood when you enrolled. What does your enrolment paperwork say?
Well unfortunately I don’t have any enrolment paperwork and this is a privet and proper college far as I am aware and I’m not sure how they operate to be honest but they split up each unit in parts and we complete some parts each day after having a lecture for example we would be taught then do P1 and so on and we haven’t been given any predicted grades other than on our UCAS applications and have been still completing work non stop but I know it’s not a misunderstanding because it’s not just me everyone else is pretty much in the same position do you think I should contact Pearson themselves is there even a way to do that?
bamtutor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Teaching to the assignment P1 etc, is against the BTEC rules. Not sure if they are doing everything else right, but as you have been misinformed by enrolling you on two courses and then fobbing you off, you do have grounds to complain. If you are supposed to be doing it one year, you should be finishing now and as such UCAS deadline has also passed, so you may struggle to get a place in September (although they do allow late applicants) if you don't receive BTEC certificates. You really should complain through the College first (they must have a Quality department, you could try asking their reception) but if you want to file a complaint to Pearson follow this link; https://qualifications.pearson.com/e.../students.html
Mania_2k1
Rep:
?
Luckily i had applied to uni long ago and already have my places but i might have to file a complaint to pearson because my qualifications wont be matching what i applied with and many thanks that was very helpful x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (207)
39.2%
Take autumn exams (158)
29.92%
Look for a job (19)
3.6%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.17%
Take a year out (90)
17.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
6.06%

Watched Threads