Should the EU step in, to chastise the US

Watch
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For a lack of infection control,

I've recently had a friend (US) travel back to Europe with her husband... She's from Texas but because her partner is from Ireland..... She was allowed to enter Ireland no quarantine, ban insufficient. They've both tested positive and are fine, she had it a bit rough but more like a Matt Hancock case...i am proud though that she went and got tested. But I'm not sure everyone will do this.

I'm also concerned what about when universities start back in Late September, students are currently removed from the Ban... A flood of say 20,000 students will likely descend on Europe from the US....if 5,000 of those test positive and are say asymptomatic... Think of fresher's flu that goes undetected.

I think the only logical plan is to totally stop all movement of people outside of their regions until we have a vaccine.

A true economic killer, but it shouldn't be too long now...but what are the possible repercussions of imported infections. That goes for Indian students, Chinese, etc...which is all amount to massive numbers and vectors of infection.

Let's let every region deal with their infections in their own way.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 4 weeks ago
Gillzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
For a lack of infection control,

I've recently had a friend (US) travel back to Europe with her husband... She's from Texas but because her partner is from Ireland..... She was allowed to enter Ireland no quarantine, ban insufficient. They've both tested positive and are fine, she had it a bit rough but more like a Matt Hancock case...i am proud though that she went and got tested. But I'm not sure everyone will do this.

I'm also concerned what about when universities start back in Late September, students are currently removed from the Ban... A flood of say 20,000 students will likely descend on Europe from the US....if 5,000 of those test positive and are say asymptomatic... Think of fresher's flu that goes undetected.

I think the only logical plan is to totally stop all movement of people outside of their regions until we have a vaccine.

A true economic killer, but it shouldn't be too long now...but what are the possible repercussions of imported infections. That goes for Indian students, Chinese, etc...which is all amount to massive numbers and vectors of infection.

Let's let every region deal with their infections in their own way.
I feel that we should welcome in parts of Europe with a proven low infection rate, however with the USA we need to postpone all travel until a vaccine is implemented, as well as high risk places such as mainland china.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gillzy)
I feel that we should welcome in parts of Europe with a proven low infection rate, however with the USA we need to postpone all travel until a vaccine is implemented,
So permanently ban travel to the worlds biggest economy...?
as well as high risk places such as mainland china.
London itself has significantly more cases than the whole of China though so how is it 'high risk' compared to anywhere else?
Gillzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
So permanently ban travel to the worlds biggest economy...?

London itself has significantly more cases than the whole of China though so how is it 'high risk' compared to anywhere else?
So you really believe that the chinese government is going to tell the truth on how many infections they currently have, considering they tried their best to cover up the whole situation and could have prevented early spread of the disease?

And also who said anything about it being permanent, its at least until the US has a better grasp on the situation, and with trump tweeting out "great news on vaccines!", perhaps if he is speaking some sense then there wont be long until a vaccine.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gillzy)
So you really believe that the chinese government is going to tell the truth on how many infections they currently have, considering they tried their best to cover up the whole situation and could have prevented early spread of the disease?

And also who said anything about it being permanent, its at least until the US has a better grasp on the situation, and with trump tweeting out "great news on vaccines!", perhaps if he is speaking some sense then there wont be long until a vaccine.
Likely not but then again i find it rather doubtful they've managed to hide the numbers to that degree. One of the benefits of running a dictatorship is it makes it rather easy to squash viruses like this, as has been attested to by outside observers and their own actions..

Because there is every chance the virus will become a fact of life and not be stamped out, certainly not in the US with it being so spread.
Ha, yeah i wouldnt take his tweets on anything overly seriously, least of all on anything to do with Covid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (6)
4.35%
Confident (14)
10.14%
Indifferent (15)
10.87%
Unsure (30)
21.74%
Worried (73)
52.9%

Watched Threads