La231
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys,
I am a new F1 this August and i was wondering how to approach requesting annual leave. I know its recommended to tactically spread AL throughout the rotation so have found a few dates (all on normal working days) that I would like off to have a long weekend or a mid week break. Can I send one email to the rota co-ordinator with all the different dates over my rotation, or would they prefer to email them one date at a time?
Starz678
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by La231)
Hi guys,
I am a new F1 this August and i was wondering how to approach requesting annual leave. I know its recommended to tactically spread AL throughout the rotation so have found a few dates (all on normal working days) that I would like off to have a long weekend or a mid week break. Can I send one email to the rota co-ordinator with all the different dates over my rotation, or would they prefer to email them one date at a time?
Just email them all together if you know what you want. You can change your mind at a later date if your plans change. The sooner you let them know the better. Get them confirmed in writing if possible. Although be prepared for the inevitable last minute rota changes, easier to argue when you have written proof the AL was approved and you had given sufficient notice etc
Wallam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by La231)
Hi guys,
My advice would be to note a list of dates you would like to take once you get your rota so you know the weeks/days you're looking to take off. I personally would wait until you meet your junior colleagues on your ward team to discuss how annual leave will work. Often (unless you are in a supernumerary role - which makes AL way easier!) the ward will allow a set number of juniors to take AL at any one time so if you submit prior to starting a role without discussion it can rub fellow colleagues the wrong way.

Once you've had that discussion I would put the dates you want on any ward calendar/shared drive and then submit your planned dates to your rota coordinator for approval. Depending on the process of AL for your ward they may want to know who is providing ward cover whilst you are away (your junior colleagues) or if the consultant responsible for your wards annual leave has authorised the request before they will authorise it on your rota.

In general they wont let you take annual leave for any days you are on call. If you are desperate for a specific day and are on the rota to be on call unfortunately that means you have to swap with a colleague. This can be a long and painful process often involving swapping rest days and multiple person swaps (IE person A swaps with B, B swaps with C, C swaps with A) so be prepared for frustration and it not always working out. Getting in early as possible is always the best as it gives more time to sort things and your colleagues often haven't made their own plans. If you can help others with their swaps then the goodwill you receive is always helpful for your own rota troubles. Nights are really tricky to swap so be prepared its unlikely to happen unless you're lucky.

In general be prepared for a lot of frustration, plan early to save disappointment and if you've emailed 6 months in advance of your rota allocations for a specific date off/not to be on call always expect to be allocated nights on those exact dates.
Last edited by Wallam; 4 months ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My main tip is to just make it very clear. Being a rota coordinator is a tough role and the clearer you make it the more likely they are to be sympathetic with you.

I would definitely send a single email not multiple.
La231
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starz678)
Just email them all together if you know what you want. You can change your mind at a later date if your plans change. The sooner you let them know the better. Get them confirmed in writing if possible. Although be prepared for the inevitable last minute rota changes, easier to argue when you have written proof the AL was approved and you had given sufficient notice etc
Thank you for this reply, very good idea to get it confirmed in writing so thanks for the tip.
La231
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wallam)
My advice would be to note a list of dates you would like to take once you get your rota so you know the weeks/days you're looking to take off. I personally would wait until you meet your junior colleagues on your ward team to discuss how annual leave will work. Often (unless you are in a supernumerary role - which makes AL way easier!) the ward will allow a set number of juniors to take AL at any one time so if you submit prior to starting a role without discussion it can rub fellow colleagues the wrong way.

Once you've had that discussion I would put the dates you want on any ward calendar/shared drive and then submit your planned dates to your rota coordinator for approval. Depending on the process of AL for your ward they may want to know who is providing ward cover whilst you are away (your junior colleagues) or if the consultant responsible for your wards annual leave has authorised the request before they will authorise it on your rota.

In general they wont let you take annual leave for any days you are on call. If you are desperate for a specific day and are on the rota to be on call unfortunately that means you have to swap with a colleague. This can be a long and painful process often involving swapping rest days and multiple person swaps (IE person A swaps with B, B swaps with C, C swaps with A) so be prepared for frustration and it not always working out. Getting in early as possible is always the best as it gives more time to sort things and your colleagues often haven't made their own plans. If you can help others with their swaps then the goodwill you receive is always helpful for your own rota troubles. Nights are really tricky to swap so be prepared its unlikely to happen unless you're lucky.

In general be prepared for a lot of frustration, plan early to save disappointment and if you've emailed 6 months in advance of your rota allocations for a specific date off/not to be on call always expect to be allocated nights on those exact dates.
I did not think about waiting until I start to check how the team like to organise annual leave. Thank you so much thats really helpful advice so I dont start off on the wrong foot
La231
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
My main tip is to just make it very clear. Being a rota coordinator is a tough role and the clearer you make it the more likely they are to be sympathetic with you.

I would definitely send a single email not multiple.
Thank you for the tip
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
On my rota it says 'In order to book annual or study leave, if there are no oncalls to be swapped, then you do not need to send the request to the rota co-ordinator'. Does anyone know what this means? Surely I cant just take any normal working days off without informing someone or do they mean I just need to inform my consultant and ward team?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
On my rota it says 'In order to book annual or study leave, if there are no oncalls to be swapped, then you do not need to send the request to the rota co-ordinator'. Does anyone know what this means? Surely I cant just take any normal working days off without informing someone or do they mean I just need to inform my consultant and ward team?
You'd obviously have to let the ward team know at a minimum, and there surely must be some kind of rota coordinator handling that aspect.

I suspect they are referring to some specific on calls coordinator? Hard to tell - suggest that if you need to book something before starting that you phone and ask.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
You'd obviously have to let the ward team know at a minimum, and there surely must be some kind of rota coordinator handling that aspect.

I suspect they are referring to some specific on calls coordinator? Hard to tell - suggest that if you need to book something before starting that you phone and ask.
Yeah i was thinking did they just mean my ward team but even that doesn't seem enough. Thanks for the advice, I will give them a ring to clarify.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah i was thinking did they just mean my ward team but even that doesn't seem enough. Thanks for the advice, I will give them a ring to clarify.
Someone must be in charge of ensuring there is minimum numbers of ward staff needed. Might just be a consultant or reg but it must be someone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads