The Student Room Group

urgent salters chemistry level help required

a Give the molecular formula of salicylic acid. [1]
b i Write an equation for the reaction of salicylic acid with Na2CO3 solution. Show structural formulae for the organic substances. [2]
ii Write the structural formula of the product of reacting salicylic acid completely with NaOH. [1]
c Esters can be made from salicylic acid. Either the phenol group or the carboxylic acid group is reacted. Both types of ester can be used as pain killers.
i Write the equation for the reaction of salicylic acid with methanol. Show structural formulae for the organic substances. [2]
ii The phenol group in salicylic acid reacts with ethanoic anhydride. Write the equation for this reaction. Show structural formulae for the organic substances.
Reply 1
Original post by sashassk
a Give the molecular formula of salicylic acid. [1]
b i Write an equation for the reaction of salicylic acid with Na2CO3 solution. Show structural formulae for the organic substances. [2]
ii Write the structural formula of the product of reacting salicylic acid completely with NaOH. [1]
c Esters can be made from salicylic acid. Either the phenol group or the carboxylic acid group is reacted. Both types of ester can be used as pain killers.
i Write the equation for the reaction of salicylic acid with methanol. Show structural formulae for the organic substances. [2]
ii The phenol group in salicylic acid reacts with ethanoic anhydride. Write the equation for this reaction. Show structural formulae for the organic substances.

And quite what do you expect me to do so urgently?
Reply 2
You've gotta show some working yourself before people here can help you better

If you know/find the formula for salicylic acid and the other chemicals, and then think about how they react with the phenol and carboxylic acid groups you should be ok
Reply 3
This is now done :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest