The Student Room Group

What era of gaming do you prefer

I was born in 1989 so just in time for when they decided to bring arcade quality gaming to home. so just wondering which era did people prefer.

Cartridge gaming, 16/32bit etc. Megadrive/Gameboy/NES/SNES

Or disk format gaming with S-Saturn/PS1. Did you prefer early 90's or late 90's

What do you like/dislike about current-gen gaming. Do you like the idea of DLC/Season passes or did you prefer to buy that game at a shop and own the whole game like PS2/Xbox games did.

For me I would say its a mix of 90's and early 2000's gaming I enjoyed most. I think early PS2 games had a charm to them and some most memorable like GTA-III, MGS-2 and Tekken Tag

I also like 90's games like on PS1. Just recently downloaded a fan-remake of the old Rayman 1 which was an early PS1 game.

Scroll to see replies

Any era before the introduction of micro transactions/skins/p2w titles. Games that could be played offline etc. PS2 era for me i guess:cool:
First system Sega Genesis

N64 was my favorite system.... Starfox....Golden Eye...

Then Saturn Dreamcast... Shenmue ans Craxy Taxi

Then Xbox ofc...Halo, COD, FIFA, NBA, NFL (I'm American/German).

But i feel like the good thing about gaming is it just keeps getting better......

Except for COD they've ruined it lol.
Original post by anime<3gaming
What do you like/dislike about current-gen gaming. Do you like the idea of DLC/Season passes or did you prefer to buy that game at a shop and own the whole game like PS2/Xbox games did.

DLC predates the PS2 and Xbox on PC, and was present on these consoles too. The basic concept of DLC is not a bad thing- devs can release a completed game, then continue to develop additional content after launch to support the game further. Back then they were called expansion packs, because we went and bought the content on CDs, but some of the best games of the era like Age of Empires 2 and The Sims both had an enormous amount of additional development time poured into them to bring new content to players, even though the base games stand up well on their own. The issue is the concept has now become used for things like lazy addons with no substance, excuses for publishers to hold content intended for the original release behind a paywall, or exploitative microtransactions. Thankfully you've also got gems like CDPR supporting their games with some of the most robust additional content ever made adding dozens of hours of gameplay, and a lot of it was released without charging a penny- I don't think anybody would have an issue with DLC delivered in this manner.

For me personally, the seventh generation of consoles was probably the period I enjoyed most- Xbox 360, Wii and DS all delivered some of my favourite gaming experiences to this day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah I suppose you had the Half-Life expansion packs too which could be classed as DLC needing the base game for the rest. Dynasty Warriors would have been similar too like DW2/DW2 Tactics, DW3, DW3 Xtreme Legends. But a lot do go abused with high prices. Have you seen DoA5 & 6 on Steam lately? The game plus ALL DLC and season passes is well above £2000 and most of it is just cosmetic and outfits for fighters.

I did like X360 but it showed what can go wrong with something so high-priced can have such a low lifespan. I went through 4 X360's due to their poor development and lack of cooling. The PS3 looked good but the machine wasnt designed for gaming due to its complex hardware which made games run poorly. Consoles are slowly becoming PC's to be upgraded. I reckon PS5 and new Xbox will release a premium version like PS5-Pro. Undermining the power of the base console
Reply 5
2002-2012

DAO
Witcher
Mass Effect
COD:MW
KOTOR

Some great games from that era.
But a lot do go abused with high prices. Have you seen DoA5 & 6 on Steam lately?

Yep, DLC has gone from a way to add meaningful content and extend the life of a game and become an avenue for extremely predatory tactics.

I did like X360 but it showed what can go wrong with something so high-priced can have such a low lifespan. I went through 4 X360's due to their poor development and lack of cooling. The PS3 looked good but the machine wasnt designed for gaming due to its complex hardware which made games run poorly.

Oh yeah they weren't phenomenal hardware, I just had the most fun with the games released on them.

Consoles are slowly becoming PC's to be upgraded.

Correct, and the move closer to traditional PCs is advantageous for everyone. They won't get true upgradability though, the only way they can be made as small and cheaply as they are is because of how integrated everything inside is.

I reckon PS5 and new Xbox will release a premium version like PS5-Pro. Undermining the power of the base console

You're almost certainly correct. The PS4 Pro and One X were released to capitalise on the industry shift in televisions from 1080p to 4K, which were an expensive novelty at the start of the generation. The new consoles are coming out at a time when 4K are absolutely mainstream and 8K will most likely become commonplace within their lifetime, so they'll launch updated hardware to capitalise on that trend.
The era of SNES start from late 80s to mid 90s. The quality of SNES games at this time is still astonishing.
Sorry l dont play games
Reply 9
PlayStation 1 was my first gaming experience. I was still young but grew up with Tomb Raider, Croc, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Pandemonium. I loved it!
Original post by Bexjw
PlayStation 1 was my first gaming experience. I was still young but grew up with Tomb Raider, Croc, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Pandemonium. I loved it!

I watched my older bro play Tomb Raider. I still try to play it now but some of the puzzles are just so hard. I'm not big on Tomb Raiders especially the old ones. I dont mind the new ones though but its very action and less Tomby. Its more Uncharted now (another great game)

And I had the rest too but my cousin had Pandemonium. Croc was originally Yoshi from Super Mario. But for some reason Nintendo turned it down. So they altered the character to become Croc. Love the music from Spyro. So enchanting
You're almost certainly correct. The PS4 Pro and One X were released to capitalise on the industry shift in televisions from 1080p to 4K, which were an expensive novelty at the start of the generation. The new consoles are coming out at a time when 4K are absolutely mainstream and 8K will most likely become commonplace within their lifetime, so they'll launch updated hardware to capitalise on that trend.
Original post by Kallisto
The era of SNES start from late 80s to mid 90s. The quality of SNES games at this time is still astonishing.

Never had SNES. Hardly had any Nintendo machines apart from the GameBoy & GBA. Had a DS but traded it in for a PSP
Xbox 360 era was the best gaming era
Mega CD is best CD.

(edited 3 years ago)
I was born in 1989 so just in time for when they decided to bring arcade quality gaming to home. so just wondering which era did people prefer.

Cartridge gaming, 16/32bit etc. Megadrive/Gameboy/NES/SNES

Or disk format gaming with S-Saturn/PS1. Did you prefer early 90's or late 90's

For me I would say its a mix of 90's and early 2000's gaming I enjoyed most. I think early PS2 games had a charm to them and some most memorable like GTA-III, MGS-2 and Tekken Tag

I also like 90's games like on PS1. Just recently downloaded a fan-remake of the old Rayman 1 which was an early PS1 game.

a couple of years younder but I would say for me ps3 era I had the most games, ps2 had more fun games, ps4 has technically impressive games but have become grindfests due to microtransactions and my refusal to pay real life money (that being said, grinding = better chance to hone skills find)
As a zoomer, for me its unfortunately "the newer the better" :wink:
I had an Amiga with dozens of games, many were crap but there was some real good ones: monkey island, lemmings, settlers, street fighter ii, worms to name a few. I also really enjoyed N64 and PS1. I was/am a big fan of extreme sports games:THPS1 & 2, Dave Mirra BMX, 1080, Matt Hoffman, aggressive inline. Nowadays I have Skate and a couple of Tony Hawk games on 360, I can't wait for them to release the updated THPS game in September. :excited:
Although I try and avoid excess nostalgia generally, I do miss the time when split-screen multiplayer was a standard format for multiplayer games. It sucks I can't have someone come over and have them just hop on whatever console I have to play multiplayer with me directly - they now need their own console, screen, and copy of the game :/

The days of yelling "no screenwatching!" are well and truly over I guess :frown:
Reply 19
The age of GTA SA and Red Alert II, those games ruined me to all others.

Quick Reply

Latest