What era of gaming do you prefer

Watch
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The age of GTA SA and Red Alert II, those games ruined me to all others.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Although I try and avoid excess nostalgia generally, I do miss the time when split-screen multiplayer was a standard format for multiplayer games. It sucks I can't have someone come over and have them just hop on whatever console I have to play multiplayer with me directly - they now need their own console, screen, and copy of the game :/

The days of yelling "no screenwatching!" are well and truly over I guess
4 player Goldeneye on N64 was awesome - I have 3 siblings so we could all play together. :moon:
Kiyomiwong95x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pop Smoke)
Xbox 360 era was the best gaming era
I agree the whole cod franchise was at its best especially black ops 1 and 2. After ghosts , the franchise was rubbish
-Eirlys-
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anime<3gaming)
I was born in 1989 so just in time for when they decided to bring arcade quality gaming to home. so just wondering which era did people prefer.

Cartridge gaming, 16/32bit etc. Megadrive/Gameboy/NES/SNES

Or disk format gaming with S-Saturn/PS1. Did you prefer early 90's or late 90's

What do you like/dislike about current-gen gaming. Do you like the idea of DLC/Season passes or did you prefer to buy that game at a shop and own the whole game like PS2/Xbox games did.

For me I would say its a mix of 90's and early 2000's gaming I enjoyed most. I think early PS2 games had a charm to them and some most memorable like GTA-III, MGS-2 and Tekken Tag

I also like 90's games like on PS1. Just recently downloaded a fan-remake of the old Rayman 1 which was an early PS1 game.
Any era where it was actually affordable for most people.
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
Any era where it was actually affordable for most people.
It can be affordable but it depends how you treat your money. A Sega Megadrive at launch was about £150 and the games were £40ish. But this was going back early 90's and VAT & Tax was much lower. So imagine what the price for that console and games now.

Time is the best way afford. You can buy any 7th gen console cheap and have all access to games apart from its dying online services. PC gaming is actually cheaper than console gaming. Most games launch at £30 - £40 but on PS4 its £50 or more.
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiyomiwong95x)
I agree the whole cod franchise was at its best especially black ops 1 and 2. After ghosts , the franchise was rubbish
Yeh I liked X360. Gears of War, halo series but the issue with 360 was the cooling design. I went through 4 X360's due to red-lights and a murderous disk-drive
Kiyomiwong95x
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeh I liked X360. Gears of War, halo series but the issue with 360 was the cooling design. I went through 4 X360's due to red-lights and a murderous disk-drive
Mine was the controller being big and bulky also the battery I had to keep changing it as there wasnt a cable to charge it . Also the white controller I used kept on glitching out on multiplayer which was annoying . I the. Moved to ps3 and realised how much better it was .
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Roughly 1986 to 94 for gaming itself. Past decade for budget-friendly gaming.
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiyomiwong95x)
Mine was the controller being big and bulky also the battery I had to keep changing it as there wasnt a cable to charge it . Also the white controller I used kept on glitching out on multiplayer which was annoying . I the. Moved to ps3 and realised how much better it was .
The original Xbox controller (The Duke) was massive. And being 13 at the time my hands couldnt wrap around it. Then they made a smaller version and named it after a Japanese sumo-wrestler. (I think). But I prefer Xbox 360 controllers, good grip, good triggers for shooting/racing games and a rounded D-Pad which was good for fighting games. The only issue with the controller was the wire was incredibly long so as the wire would twist on the inside it would eventually split. Another issue was the D-Pad itself would soon wear off and a membrance would give out. So the D-Pad would usually be the first to go. I recently switched to an Xbox-One controller which is good but they went for a sharper, clicky, D-pad with no round edges which made fighting games a bit harder. It also broke too. The D-pad didnt even last a year but got it refunded via Amazon. The PS2 controller would last for years if taken care of even withstand some drops. Didnt touch the PS3 pad but the 6-axis seemed pointless. The PS4 controller I found to be quite small and fragile. The triggers are quite bad and flimsy and the analogue sticks are very small and too light. Putting a rubbery mask over it would solve the issue. With a good grip. Without that accessory the sticks just felt too bare
anime<3gaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
The age of GTA SA and Red Alert II, those games ruined me to all others.
I had Red Alert 3 and Yuri's Revenge. Probably the only R-A I liked. And I liked GTA-SA but wasnt too fond of the setting and story. I always prefer GTA-III. More memories spent on it. Simple, easy to navigate and fun. I like pretty much all GTA games but after GTA-V I just lost interest, didn't really like it. They've focused too much on multi-player.
Kiyomiwong95x
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The original Xbox controller (The Duke) was massive. And being 13 at the time my hands couldnt wrap around it. Then they made a smaller version and named it after a Japanese sumo-wrestler. (I think). But I prefer Xbox 360 controllers, good grip, good triggers for shooting/racing games and a rounded D-Pad which was good for fighting games. The only issue with the controller was the wire was incredibly long so as the wire would twist on the inside it would eventually split. Another issue was the D-Pad itself would soon wear off and a membrance would give out. So the D-Pad would usually be the first to go. I recently switched to an Xbox-One controller which is good but they went for a sharper, clicky, D-pad with no round edges which made fighting games a bit harder. It also broke too. The D-pad didnt even last a year but got it refunded via Amazon. The PS2 controller would last for years if taken care of even withstand some drops. Didnt touch the PS3 pad but the 6-axis seemed pointless. The PS4 controller I found to be quite small and fragile. The triggers are quite bad and flimsy and the analogue sticks are very small and too light. Putting a rubbery mask over it would solve the issue. With a good grip. Without that accessory the sticks just felt too bare
Yeah your right . I still have my ps2 controllers and the console and they still work but technology has changed and it is not able to work with a smart TV and I've had the ps2 since 2006. The other day while playing Madden my younger brother broke the circle button on the PlayStation. And the joysticks the whole controller started glitching out because he slammed it on the floor in anger like once . The 360controller took more damage I would fling it on the couch quite often while playing Black ops as u know cod games can be very frustrating . I like the joysticks on the 360 and I agree shooting and driving is easier the joystick is smooth and a lot softer than ps3/4. Playing GTA 5 on 360 was a lot easier . As with Xbox one that is average they made the joystick smaller still prefer 360 despite bulky battery .
Last edited by Kiyomiwong95x; 2 weeks ago
Picnicl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Unlike music and movies, videogames have unambiguously got better with every new hardware in some respects. I say 'some respects' because, every new generation, a few genres that were popular in all or part of the previous generation tend to get neglected because they get absorbed in to other larger games instead, often in a more casual or populist way.

The 16 bit Disney platformers on the Sega Megadrive are unparalleled to this day for their charming graphics and music. World of Illusion was my favourite but Quackshot, Aladdin, and Castle of Illusion did particularly great jobs too.

People talk about the PS1 and N64 era but the 128 bit era was epic - Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and, my personal favourite, Gamecube.

The curremt generation has been a rather simple sequel to the previous one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (162)
38.12%
Take autumn exams (130)
30.59%
Look for a job (16)
3.76%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.24%
Take a year out (72)
16.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise