The Student Room Group

Best calculator for HL Maths?

I assume it would have to be a graphical calculator, the ones that cost more than £50 :no: :frown:

Any ideas which you would reccomend. I've heard that Texas Instruments were good, but they are no longer permitted because they make it to easy, is that right?

I want a nice looking calculator, that works fast and is cheap.:yep:

Thank You :p:

ps: Is HL Maths really hard? I got an A at GCSE and am ok with Maths, I don't have a passion for it though, but pick up thinks alright...
Reply 1
TI-84. Edit: You can work with a TI-83 plus, but a few of the Stats buttons won't be on there, which annoyed me for my Stats exam.

Don't think you'll cope all that well if I'm honest. You'll need a fair amount of effort in HL and if you lack the drive, then you might slack off.
I did HL maths in the first few weeks of IB, but changed eventually. Like you, I had an A in GCSE, and liked it but was not passionate. It IS really hard and you could only do it if you love it.

What are your other highers? I have a 'Casio CFX9850GC+ Colour Graphing Calculator' (:yep: ), which is fine, they will probably tell you what you need anyway in september.
Reply 3
My school recommends me the TI-84 as well. It costs about 80 - 125 US dollars depends on where you would get this. If you are familiar with Ebay or Amazon, don't bother to look because you could find a great deal!
Reply 4
cabso1
TI-84. Edit: You can work with a TI-83 plus, but a few of the Stats buttons won't be on there, which annoyed me for my Stats exam.

Which would they be?
Reply 5
It's a requirement to have HL maths for Biology courses at University as a replacement for not having Chemistry :frown:

And yeah, I'll check to see if the sixth form are going to provide me with the calculators first and if not I'll check out eBay. Thank You
TI-84 plus silver edition?

how long does amazon send the items to your place anyways...
im trying to order one but im not sure whether it will arrive on time..
i know its cheaper too
Reply 7
Aliquantus
Which would they be?

Such as the Chi Squared Goodness of Fit, and IIRC Type errors can be calculated too.

The Chi Squared GOF is a good enough reason in my opinion because to work the GOF out individually is a fair bit of work. Caused me to lose a few marks in the exam because of the intricacies of the calculation
I would go for TI-84 Plus or TI-83 Plus. Both aren't bad...but if you want the best calculator...I guess you should go for TI-84 Plus. It's pretty expensive though.
Reply 9
I think it is more important that you try and use the same calculator model as your teacher (or, failing that, use a calc from the same "family", e.g. teacher uses TI-84+ Silver, you use TI-84+) so that it is easier to follow along when s/he demonstrates functions on the calc. Personally I am very happy with my TI-84+, mostly because my teacher also uses this model and I can follow her exact instructions when learning new calc functions in class.
Reply 10
Quite often math textbooks use a certain type of calculator as reference or as a supplement to the text. I would, therefore, recommend you to buy that calculator. There's probably a good chance that your math teacher has the same calc. because he/she most likely chose the book. Anyways, the Ti's are the most prevalent and it's fairly easy to get hold of new apps, which, if anything, makes me prefer those.
I have TI-84+. A few of my classmates have the TI-84+ Silver Edition, which is a bit more costly due to it having more memory.

HL Maths isn't TOO bad, just gotta work hard, that's all...

I like my TI-84+. I wrote a few progs on it for my IA. :yep:
Reply 12
I would say buy a TI-84.
You will not regret it.
And good luck with HL maths. You will truly enjoy it. SL Maths is an okay subject. But it stops just when it gets interesting.
Reply 13
i would say buy a TI-84 plus silver edition.
there are more math formulas inside that calculator and chemistry formulas if youre doing chemistry.
Reply 15
Buy a TI 84+ it's the best one can have for IB. :smile: If you want a bigger memory, have a TI 84+ Silver Edition instead.
I personally have a 84+ and its really good; but some friends have Silver edition and told me silver was better as one can install more TI games to it than in 84+. :biggrin: I dont care games; but if you do, go for a Silver.
Reply 16
TI-84 + Silver Edition. It's no joke the best calculator ever created on this planet.

++ It's so pretty! AND you can play tetris! :P
Buy a TI 84 plus silver edition. The stats functions are a lifesaver in paper 3. You'll use it so often, so long, it will eventually feel like a plastic pet.:yep:
Reply 18
ti-84 plus comes with software that can help with portfolios if you don't know how to use cas programs, and the interface is easier to use vs casio graphin calcs. Treat your graphing calc as an investment because it'll come in handy later on in uni if you do anything that has to do with maths. Ti-89 calcs are not allowed though but then they are significantly harder to use than the Ti-84s.

Latest

Trending

Trending